Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name some horrible/great trades of your team

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waintrain

Jan 22, 2012
St. Louis Area
I just thought of this idea for the Cardinals today and thought I would make a thread about it. Name the best/worst trades your team has made. For the Cardinals it would look like this

BEST:
Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio
Jim Edmonds for Adam Kennedy
Ozzie Smith for Gary Templeton
Scott Rolen for Mike Timlin and Placido Polanco
Adam Wainwright and others for JD Drew and Eli Marrero(Who would I collect if it weren't for this :) )
David Freese for Jim Edmonds(not a great trade yet IMO)
Willie McGee for someone I can't remember but it wasn't anyone special

WORST:
Dan Haren, Daric Barton, among others for Mark Mulder
Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus(Neither of these players did much for their teams but Rolen was a favorite of mine)

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
Dodgers: best recent probably getting Andre Ethier for Milton Bradley. Worst would have to be sending away a young Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
Best Tigers trade - Miguel Cabrera for Cam Maybin, Andrew Miller and a handful of stiffs.

Worst Tigers trade - Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz. Alexander helped win the division in 1987 but it was all downhill from there.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
The Red Sox have helped the Yankees more than people may realize ;)

Babe Ruth from Red Sox for $125K and a $300K loan.
Red Ruffing from Red Sox for Cedric Durst and $50,000.
Sparky Lyle from Red Sox for Danny Cater and Mario Guerrero

Here are some other non-red sox trades that had a big impact over the past two decades:

Tino Martinez, Jeff Nelson and Jim Mecir from Mariners for Sterling Hitchcock and Russ Davis
Paul O'Neill from Reds for Roberto Kelly and Joe DeBerry
David Cone traded by the Toronto Bluejays to the New York Yankees for Marty Janzen, Jason Jarvis and Mike Gordon
Granderson for IPK, A-Jax, Coke. Regardless of what IPK is doing in the NL West, this was a pretty nice deal.
Swisher for Wilson Betemit
Arod for Soriano

Some of the bad trades have been
Mike Lowell for: Mark Johnson, Todd Noel, and Ed Yarnal
Jay Buhner to Seattle for Ken Phelps

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
ChasHawk said:
Russ S. said:
Speaking of young, who did the Yanks get for Alfonso Soriano? :?
I wonder how much the "cash" part of that deal was?

Yankees traded Soriano to the Texas Rangers along with minor leaguer Joaquin Arias for Alex Rodriguez and cash amounting to $67 million of the $179 million remaining on Rodriguez's contract

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
Best:
Randy Johnson, Brian Holman, Gene Harris for Mark Langston and Mike Campbell

Worst:
Heathcliff Slocumb for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Y4NK335 said:
ChasHawk said:
Russ S. said:
Speaking of young, who did the Yanks get for Alfonso Soriano? :?
I wonder how much the "cash" part of that deal was?

Yankees traded Soriano to the Texas Rangers along with minor leaguer Joaquin Arias for Alex Rodriguez and cash amounting to $67 million of the $179 million remaining on Rodriguez's contract

Just to expand a little more, Arod batted.303/.403/.573 with 173 homers, 88 stolen bases, won a pair of Most Valuable Player trophies, and accumulated a 30 WAR during the remainder of the 112M that the Yankees paid on his contract.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Best: LaPorta, Brantley and Zach Jackson for Sabbathia and a playoff appeapance

Most useful: Sexson for Junior Spivey, Lyle Overbay, Capuano, Chad Moeller, Craig Counsell and Jorge De La Rosa

This is one of the best trade-trees:

tumblr_lhg2e6JMqd1qebwpw

Grienke and Bentencourt for Escobar, Jeffress, Odorizzi and Cain worked out well for both sides.

Worst: Carlos Lee and Nelson Cruz for Kevin Mench, Franciso Cordero and Laynce Nix

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Y4NK335 said:
The Red Sox have helped the Yankees more than people may realize ;)

Babe Ruth from Red Sox for $125K and a $300K loan.
Red Ruffing from Red Sox for Cedric Durst and $50,000.
Sparky Lyle from Red Sox for Danny Cater and Mario Guerrero

Ruffing was a stiff when the Sox finally dumped him. He was 39-96 in 6 seasons, pitching for bad teams; no one in the world could have ever imagined he would eventually be a marginal HOFer.

The Ruth deal is even more interesting, as it was widely considered a terrible deal for the Yankees. Ruth was a malcontent with Boston, a player who was a discipline problem and viewed as not worth the trouble he caused (despite the monster production). No guarantee that he wasn't going to drink himself to death or end up laid up with some horrid creeping crotch rot.

Oh, and:

Best:

Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb
Pedro Martinez for Carl Pavano and Tony Armas Jr.
Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz for Nomar Garciaparra and Matt Murton
Mike Boddicker for Brady Anderson and Curt Schilling (Anderson was a fluke, and Schilling admittedly didn't care at this point in his career)
Curt Schilling for Brandon Lyon, Casey Fossum and Jorge de la Rosa

Worst:

Larry Andersen for Jeff Bagwell
Jose Melendez for Phil Plantier (ended up being a wash, but Plantier was briefly a star after being traded)
The afore-mentioned Lyle for Cater/Guerrero (literally cost the Sox the 1972 pennant)

waintrain said:
I just thought of this idea for the Cardinals today and thought I would make a thread about it. Name the best/worst trades your team has made. For the Cardinals it would look like this

BEST:
Adam Wainwright and others for JD Drew and Eli Marrero(Who would I collect if it weren't for this :) )

WORST:
Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus(Neither of these players did much for their teams but Rolen was a favorite of mine)
Pretty much agree with you:
The Mulder trade wasn't that bad at the time, but Haren came back to bit them, although Barton hasn't done much in Oakland, high OPS, but has no power and doesn't drive in runs.
I would add Chris Perez for Mark DeRosa as a bad one, Perez made the All-Star team. Although who knows what would have happened to Perez in St. Louis, they have an abundance of power arms in bullpen so he might have gotten buried in the depth. Guess it wouldn't be so bad if DeRosa didn't suck something fierce and left as a free agent.
I would say Edmonds for Freese is a great trade if Freese does nothing else the rest of his career. A World Series MVP for an Edmonds who was well past his prime at that point. It was sad to see Edmonds go, but removing emotion, necessary to move forward.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
Best.. traded Frank DiPino, Kevin Bass, and Mike Madden for Don Sutton

traded Dick O'Keefe and GaryPyka for Mike Caldwell

traded Jim Slaton and Rich Folkers for Ben Oglivie. (after the season Slaton signed on back with the Brewers)

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
BrewerSuperCollector said:
Best.. traded Frank DiPino, Kevin Bass, and Mike Madden for Don Sutton

traded Dick O'Keefe and GaryPyka for Mike Caldwell

traded Jim Slaton and Rich Folkers for Ben Oglivie. (after the season Slaton signed on back with the Brewers)

The Brewers almost traded away Mike Caldwell after the 1981 season. To the Phillies, for a couple of no-name pitchers.

And Ryne Sandberg!

waintrain

Jan 22, 2012
St. Louis Area
Benson said:
waintrain said:

BEST:

WORST:
Pretty much agree with you:
The Mulder trade wasn't that bad at the time, but Haren came back to bit them, although Barton hasn't done much in Oakland, high OPS, but has no power and doesn't drive in runs.
I would add Chris Perez for Mark DeRosa as a bad one, Perez made the All-Star team. Although who knows what would have happened to Perez in St. Louis, they have an abundance of power arms in bullpen so he might have gotten buried in the depth. Guess it wouldn't be so bad if DeRosa didn't suck something fierce and left as a free agent.
I would say Edmonds for Freese is a great trade if Freese does nothing else the rest of his career. A World Series MVP for an Edmonds who was well past his prime at that point. It was sad to see Edmonds go, but removing emotion, necessary to move forward.
Completely forgot about the Perez-Derosa deal. That was pretty bad too. Would like to see Perez and Motte in the pen. Another one I forgot was the Matt Holliday deal. Holliday hasn't been quite his old Rockie self, but it sure is better than what the A's have now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts