Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name something about this hobby you'll never understand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
To answer the original question, I'll never understand why most autograph collectors shun dual/triple signed balls like they're the plague. I understand that it makes displaying more difficult but so many "hounds" and collectors absolutely despise multiple autos on balls. But then, team balls (18+ sigs) are still sought after too...:-?

For cards, as said earlier, I'll never understand why some prospects can go for Hundreds out-of-the-gate and graded HOFers RCs can sneak by at 1/3 the price!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
True, but that also demonstrates that values are too volatile for an archaic print magazine to determine either. Especially one that can't be accurate on the less volatile cards. There are just too many cards produced that it can't be monitored or tracked a better way

Yes exactly. I am not saying eBay is end all be all, but a print magazine that doesn't really track actual sales is hard to use.

Prospects , add me to the list of why ? (That's prospects at high prices)

Ryan

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I will never understand when someone posts looking for a nice resell lot looking to pay below eBay prices and says 300 dollars to spend. Then someone offers 3 cards that would sell for 450 to 500 easily. Why in the world wouldnt they just sell them themselves? This is something I will NEVER understand. Why would you just give away money? Interesting enough it happens quite a bit

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
How people will rip anything... Repack boxes, ugly unlicensed cards, ugly slabbed cut autographs, those "value" packs.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I can't understand how dealers order something from card manufacturers 6 months in advance from just a sell sheet without seeing a checklist first

And can't comprehend that 1 autograph makes a box of topps $65 but 1 auto in a case of opening day is $28. So one auto is worth $37?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Agree. (To each their own, however)

A prospect goes 3-4 with a couple of RBI in a AA game and suddenly his cards go for more than a HOFer. :)

Hearing this is what bothers me most about this hobby. I collect both prospects and HOF autographs. For HOF players there is no more play performance speculation, nor are there any 1st BC autographs. Tell me what would you rather have, a Tony Gwynn rookie card, an autograph or a rookie card autograph? So while some may go for more than a card of a HOF player, is that card of a HOF player his 1st BC auto?

loveitcards

Dec 24, 2013
Well every human is unique and complex to a degree so throw it all out the window and just roll the dice! :D

loveitcards

Dec 24, 2013
I just appreciate the uniqueness of all and browse eBay, Facebook, Beckett etc and get my return on cards that makes me happy!

Who cares what this or that person pays or collects. It makes them extra special haha. There will probably never be a solid answer anyways to others' decisions!

Jun 30, 2010
Agree. (To each their own, however)

A prospect goes 3-4 with a couple of RBI in a AA game and suddenly his cards go for more than a HOFer. :)

The logical side of me agrees with you 100%. What would I rather have 20- 1982 Ripken Topps Rookies at 25.00 each or the next prospect at 25.00 each. As a collector/long term investor Ripken of course. As a speculator/Prospector/Short term investor maybee the prospect.

I believe prospecting has more to do with supply and demand and monetary investing and that is what drives prices. It's no different than when Canseco, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds and countless other players card prices were out of sight and were drives by tremendous demand. The demand drove up the prices. Without the demand, then and now, these " Next great players" wouldn't be worth anything.

That being said, it also sometimes drives me nuts when I hear about the next great, Nolan Ryan for example, superfractor selling for 5 figures when you can buy every single Nolan Ryan AND Mickey Mantle Topps cards( except 1952) for less than the price of the Superfractor.

There is a market for each obviously and this hobby wouldn't survive without each type of buyer. From a collector mentality( which I am not) and my own business model I prefer the established stars. Much safer. I do like it however, when I buy a collection full of stars and prospects, many times I have done well on the prospects, even though I probably didn't know hardly anything about the prospects when I bought the collection. Maybee I need to start listening to you prospectors but its hard to wrap my head around following 16-20 year old kids.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'll never understand people asking you what your best price for a card is. I take the card's fair value I've already listed it as and knock off a few bucks and call that my firm offer to sell. That person then submits offers that are below my firm price and I have to deny the offer as I've already given my more than fair offer price that I'm willing to take.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Why some ebay sellers list 1992 Jim Thome cards as rookie cards. :confused:

This has been a problem forever. It's not even the worst case - People list Mariano Rivera's 1995 cards as a RC when his true RC was 1992 Bowman!

What I don't understand is why there's always been so much confusion over what is actually a rookie card. Never back in the 80's, they had to invent the "first Topps card" and "XRC" designations because no one could agree. Now you have guys with prospect cards in one year, first autos in he next year, and a "rookie card" in the following year. I realize the minor league and draft system, along with the prevalence of bowman products, makes it difficult, but why the heck are there so many arcane and difficult rules surrounding what a defined RC is?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I'll never understand people asking you what your best price for a card is. I take the card's fair value I've already listed it as and knock off a few bucks and call that my firm offer to sell. That person then submits offers that are below my firm price and I have to deny the offer as I've already given my more than fair offer price that I'm willing to take.

I agree with u on some cards but I've been looking at a card listed at 175 on eBay, I contacted the seller and said there is no way that's serious right? Get a reply of an offer for 40 bucks. While I see your point most of the time, some sellers do throw crazy prices up just to test the water

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I agree with u on some cards but I've been looking at a card listed at 175 on eBay, I contacted the seller and said there is no way that's serious right? Get a reply of an offer for 40 bucks. While I see your point most of the time, some sellers do throw crazy prices up just to test the water

I would say it's a lot more than just some sellers.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Yes , if your price is firm , don't have the offer option. But most prices , esp those listed with BO, are not firm. Wether that be a 10-20-50% discount or what not.

Ryan

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The fact that Minor League team issued sets are largely ignored. You have some teams that only produce 200 to 500 of these sets with many finding themselves in the garbage 10 years later.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
So you are saying that my Andre Dawson cards are not worth what I am willing to pay for them lol

No sir. But your Andre Dawson cards are more valuable to you than they would be to others. So unless you have the funds to purchase every card, and every seller intends to sell them to you, others cannot be expected to pay what you would.

Same thing happens with Bagwell. A few of us fight over the first couple of a particular card that shows up. After that, the market for it drops. Even if it's numbered to /10 or /5. Non-auto'd cards are even more iffy. So to look at eBay and say "Yep, that's what it's worth", is not always a good idea. A dual Bagwell/Biggio auto went for $330 out of museum collection. I paid almost half of that for mine. And it's not the first to sell either. Very shortly, the market will deplete at that price point for it. Yet others will see that and argue that it's a $330 card. Now one is up for $550 or best offer.

I have no issue with eBay being used as a tool. But like any tool, you've got to use it properly. Know how to use it. Know what the numbers are and what they mean.

Members online