Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need Patch Experts!! Fake??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFeistel

Aug 28, 2013
Evansville, IN
Would like the patch experts to look at this one. This recently sold on a Facebook group through raffle and when I asked the seller about it and stated that I believed the patches were fake the group admin went into attack mode and it has gotten ugly. Many more Pujols relics from 2010 Triple Threads on the bay that are quite fake as well. When I stated that "typically Topps does not put such patches in a #/27 relic card" I was met with "well you must be a dip s*%t and not know anything about Triple Threads" from the admin. Class act there. HELP ME PLEASE if anyone can find out an original image or anything I would forever be in debt to them.

pujolspatch.jpg

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I hope you paid via PP and you file a claim. That should not be an /27 patch.

Not to mention the bat and the Cardinal are not stitched like the should be on a real jersey. The pattern is more looped on the Cardinal and the bat like below.

14079b_lg.jpeg

274641310_de1a4529f7_o.jpg

Last edited:

SFeistel

Aug 28, 2013
Evansville, IN
I did not purchase but rather called out the seller on a Facebook group, thank you a reaffirming my thoughts, I love the Cardinals and love the patches and I hated to see someone ELSE get scammed with this card

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
EDIT: Just saw it's not your card....tell THE WINNER to contact that facebook page admins' local police and file a claim with paypal

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I did not purchase but rather called out the seller on a Facebook group, thank you a reaffirming my thoughts, I love the Cardinals and love the patches and I hated to see someone ELSE get scammed with this card

The one thing I do like about the Cardinals is the front of their jerseys and the stitching pattern that they have used for YEARS!! I love that loop pattern, it is very nostalgic.

SFeistel

Aug 28, 2013
Evansville, IN
I contacted Topps Legal and they are verifying it but I had no part in the purchase it's just that the admin so adamantly defended this kid that was raffling it off at $80 bucks. Too bad that someone thinks they have something legit when it's painfully fake.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I contacted Topps Legal and they are verifying it but I had no part in the purchase it's just that the admin so adamantly defended this kid that was raffling it off at $80 bucks. Too bad that someone thinks they have something legit when it's painfully fake.

I sent you a PM.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
That Pujols patch was sold on Feb. 6, 2012 by buckhorns1977, a seller who has sold many Triple Threads patch cards with all three patches being logo patches. Just about all of the scans that I have saved from that seller are of Pujols, Ichiro, Jeter or Tom Brady. There are a bunch of Pujols Triple Threads patches that have been sold by suspicious sellers in the past that have the same type of logo that doesn't match up to the actual logo, as already pointed out above.

SFeistel

Aug 28, 2013
Evansville, IN
help me

Hey could you help me out in how you found that listing. I don't know how to look up previously sold items other than the "sold or completed listings" on ebay and I don't think they go back that far. Any advice on what to use to research further back? Thanks for the info.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
I save scans saved of certain patches sold by certain sellers, so I just searched my own database of images. Fake patches tend to get resold, so it comes in handy every now and then.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I'm no expert or anything, but without reading any of the comments above, I was going to say THERE'S NO WAY THAT PATCH IS A FAKE. I've seen/bought faked patches on cards with such intricate and fragile lettering as is the case with the this Pujols, and every single one of them had at least small signs of bending/chipping against the letters from where the patches were stuffed through. The edges around the lettering (and the card as a whole) look pristine in that pic. I'm really not sure how it could be possible to fake this. Unless there's another way of doing it besides ripping out the old patch through the lettering and stuffing new patches in there. Please enlighten me if there is.

Also, I've seen plenty of bad@$$ looking patches in cards number in the /25 range, and even in the /50 and /75 range (please see 2008 Premier). I know you'd expect a patch this sweet to be /5 or less, but that doesn't mean it's not legit.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

Not to mention the bat and the Cardinal are not stitched like the should be on a real jersey. The pattern is more looped on the Cardinal and the bat like below.

14079b_lg.jpeg

Doesn't mean anything, IMO. Who knows where/when the companies get these jerseys, and who knows if it's even GU or some sort of event used....it's anybody's guess until companies start providing more detailed information about that right on the card backs. All I know is that I've seen colors and stitching in legit patch cards that I never thought even existed for a particular player before. This could still be legit despite the stitching. Not saying it 100% is legit, because anything is possible nowadays, but I don't think that criteria alone is worth calling this a fake on.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
Doesn't mean anything, IMO. Who knows where/when the companies get these jerseys, and who knows if it's even GU or some sort of event used....it's anybody's guess until companies start providing more detailed information about that right on the card backs. All I know is that I've seen colors and stitching in legit patch cards that I never thought even existed for a particular player before. This could still be legit despite the stitching. Not saying it 100% is legit, because anything is possible nowadays, but I don't think that criteria alone is worth calling this a fake on.

The company is not going to NOT get a legit jersey made by the companies who make them. Retail jerseys as far as I can tell do not have the looped stitching (if they do then I have never seen them) SO yes it does mean something. There is no way that can be a legit patch with no looping in the bat or the cardinal.

Last edited:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm no expert or anything, but without reading any of the comments above, I was going to say THERE'S NO WAY THAT PATCH IS A FAKE. I've seen/bought faked patches on cards with such intricate and fragile lettering as is the case with the this Pujols, and every single one of them had at least small signs of bending/chipping against the letters from where the patches were stuffed through. The edges around the lettering (and the card as a whole) look pristine in that pic. I'm really not sure how it could be possible to fake this. Unless there's another way of doing it besides ripping out the old patch through the lettering and stuffing new patches in there. Please enlighten me if there is.

Also, I've seen plenty of bad@$$ looking patches in cards number in the /25 range, and even in the /50 and /75 range (please see 2008 Premier). I know you'd expect a patch this sweet to be /5 or less, but that doesn't mean it's not legit.

Patch fakers often split the card in half to replace the patches, then glue them back together if I'm not mistaken. Thick cards are made using multiple layers of standard thickness card stock glued together.

- Rodrick

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
The company is not going to NOT get a legit jersey made by the companies who make them. Retail jerseys as far as I can tell do not have the looped stitching (if they do then I have never seen them) SO yes it does mean something. There is no way that can be a legit patch with no looping in the bat or the cardinal.

Patch fakers often split the card in half to replace the patches, then glue them back together if I'm not mistaken. Thick cards are made using multiple layers of standard thickness card stock glued together.

- Rodrick

Both of your points taken together provide me with a little more skepticism. However, I did want to say that I would assume it would be extremely difficult to split the card layers without causing some sort of noticeable and irreparable damage. But then again, perhaps there is a technique to it that I am not aware of. If that is the case, then it makes me wonder how many fake patch cards I might have picked up over the years, or even still possibly have?!?!

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Fake indeed and not even a good one
Some people might want it to be real but its a fake

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
So then I'm curious...what do you guys think of the one that Probstein is selling right now:

Probstein Pujols.JPG

Based on what you guys are saying, this one is def a fake, too? I'm not familiar with all the patches in there so I'm not sure if the same argument about the looping is supposed to hold true for these, but they don't look as professionally and cleanly stitched as in the example jersey that Alex provided.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Both of your points taken together provide me with a little more skepticism. However, I did want to say that I would assume it would be extremely difficult to split the card layers without causing some sort of noticeable and irreparable damage. But then again, perhaps there is a technique to it that I am not aware of. If that is the case, then it makes me wonder how many fake patch cards I might have picked up over the years, or even still possibly have?!?!

I think patch fakers certainly get better at it each time. You had a good post stating the print runs of cards from other sets, and the only way to protect yourself is to build knowledge of what each specific set has to offer. For Triple Threads, nearly all years of any jersey card /27 is ALWAYS a jersey or a bat with no patches. They tend to have the /1 and /3 cards with patches only. Here is what the Pujols should look like:

Albert Pujols 2010 Triple Threads 5 x Jersey 3 x Bat TTR 1 6 27 | eBay
$(KGrHqR,!q!FHoLEGieVBS!-eJ5Kj!~~60_3.JPG

What sucks is that grading companies get lazy at times and really confuse you. Here is one that PSA actually authenticated which really does not help:

2010 Topps Triple Threads Relics 4 Color Patch 27 Albert Pujols 2 PSA 10 Pop 1 | eBay
$(KGrHqZ,!qwFDknH-yDvBRCzqghM-Q~~60_57.JPG

I also remember BGS had authenticated a ton of known fake patch cards as well. I'm sure someone could post a thread or a youtube video about that.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

14079b_lg.jpeg

Also, just curious...why is the cardinal in your two pics different? Are one of these a newer and one an older design?

Members online

Latest posts