Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

One of the most overrated players in baseball.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida

Carlos Correa has signed a 13 year $350 mil contract. I would not give him $35 mil for 13 years. Last year 22HR and 64 RBI and 0 stolen bases that's right ZERO! lets take a lotto on how many games he will miss in 2023​

I will start with 30+ missed. San Fran pull your head out of your ass.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
5 WAR/600 PAs during his career.

He hasn't missed a substantial amount of time in four years.

His batting line last year was 40% better than league average. .291/.366/.467 with 70 Runs and 64 RBIs in a terrible lineup. He'll score 100 runs and have 80+ RBIs easy in San Fran.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Correa has averaged 5 WAR per season for his career, despite the COVID-shortened 2020 and his injury issues. He's at 39.5 WAR on Baseball-Reference going into his age 28 season.

He won a Platinum Glove award last season, has a career OPS+ of 129 and is widely viewed as a consumate professional and team leader.

Playing in Houston (and his comments afterwards) have not helped his popularity. But Correa is on a very short list of the best players in the game, and is arguably the best shortstop in baseball (Lindor and Turner).

The length of the contract allows them to spread the cost over an extended period of time. This helps them from a hitting the tax thresholds, and I think the teams assume that by 10 years from now, the players will be making so much more money that the 'salary cap' will be much higher.

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
It’s going to be an interesting season in the National League West-Dodgers, Giants, and Padres

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Correa is obviously an outstanding player, regardless of how many bases he steals. But I don't see how you can call him overrate(d), except if you're just looking at the contract. I think that contract is insane, but by that measure, most other players in MLB are overrated too.

By the way, $35 mil for 13 years would be the biggest steal in MLB history, hands down.

abide

Apr 29, 2021
a $35 million per year contract for 13 years is a contract at age 28 is a deal for a guy that is going to be a first ballot HOF.
a guy that came up at age 20-22, and immediately started having seasons in the top 10 of MVP, such as Mike Trout.
a guy that is going to be a unanimous first ballot HOF, even if he never wins a ring, like Mike Trout

a guy that is genuinely a good guy
a guy that is going to be the face of the franchise for the rest of his career.
a guy that the fans like, the media likes, will never do anything stupid [like cheat,] or go Trevor on a hookup and beat her and choke her senseless while busting a nut.
a guy that will be out in the community repping the franchise when a new ballfield is opened up for disadvantaged youth, or cheering up the kids in the hospital at Christmas

I'm not a Correa fan or hater .... but I don't see Carlos as any of these things now.
Maybe if he had stayed in Houston.
But I think he left Houston in part, because he would never be that guy. Houston has Jose Altuve, not to mention Yordan Alvarez

There's a reason Correa got a 1 year deal from Minnesota last year.
Correa's slash lines in 2021 were .279 / .366 / .485 / .850
those are nice slash lines, but not $35 x 13 years total near $400 million slash line.
his 2019 & 2020 slash lines were worse
his 2022 was about the same as 2021 at .291 / .366 / .467 / .834
why would he get a deal in 2023 that nobody would offer in 2022?
This is who Carlos is now. The Giants can't expect him to turn into 2017 Carlos

Bryce Harper is worth that deal. Aaron Judge is worth that deal. Trout & Ohtani. Mookie Betts. But Carlos Correa .... nope.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
a $35 million per year contract for 13 years is a contract at age 28 is a deal for a guy that is going to be a first ballot HOF.
a guy that came up at age 20-22, and immediately started having seasons in the top 10 of MVP, such as Mike Trout.
a guy that is going to be a unanimous first ballot HOF, even if he never wins a ring, like Mike Trout

a guy that is genuinely a good guy
a guy that is going to be the face of the franchise for the rest of his career.
a guy that the fans like, the media likes, will never do anything stupid [like cheat,] or go Trevor on a hookup and beat her and choke her senseless while busting a nut.
a guy that will be out in the community repping the franchise when a new ballfield is opened up for disadvantaged youth, or cheering up the kids in the hospital at Christmas

I'm not a Correa fan or hater .... but I don't see Carlos as any of these things now.
Maybe if he had stayed in Houston.
But I think he left Houston in part, because he would never be that guy. Houston has Jose Altuve, not to mention Yordan Alvarez

There's a reason Correa got a 1 year deal from Minnesota last year.
Correa's slash lines in 2021 were .279 / .366 / .485 / .850
those are nice slash lines, but not $35 x 13 years total near $400 million slash line.
his 2019 & 2020 slash lines were worse
his 2022 was about the same as 2021 at .291 / .366 / .467 / .834
why would he get a deal in 2023 that nobody would offer in 2022?
This is who Carlos is now. The Giants can't expect him to turn into 2017 Carlos

Bryce Harper is worth that deal. Aaron Judge is worth that deal. Trout & Ohtani. Mookie Betts. But Carlos Correa .... nope.
He had a better year in 2021 than he had in 2017, 6.2 WAR to 5.0. He's got a 130 wRC+ (30% better than league average) line for his career and his defense has improved to the point he won a Platinum Glove in 2021.

He's well on his way to a Hall of Fame career. He's got 31.3 WAR after his age 28 season.

From your list:
1. a guy that came up at age 20-22, and immediately started having seasons in the top 10 of MVP, such as Mike Trout. - He debuted at 20 and won RoY then had a top 20 MVP finish at age 22.
2. a guy that is going to be a unanimous first ballot HOF, even if he never wins a ring, like Mike Trout - Correa already won a ring. Unanimous 1st Ballot HOF is unreasonable. One 1 of those ever.

3. a guy that is genuinely a good guy - His teammates love the guy.
4. a guy that is going to be the face of the franchise for the rest of his career - He's on a loaded team but he could be this. He's got the personality for it.
5. a guy that will be out in the community repping the franchise when a new ballfield is opened up for disadvantaged youth, or cheering up the kids in the hospital at Christmas - Dude does all this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts