Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo(s) of the day......The Babe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Babe Ruth has been the epitome of baseball for over a century and his lasting legacy has not been diminished over time. It is amazing to me that Ruth may be known by as many people today as he was during his playing days. If you ask the average man or woman on the street to name a baseball player either past or present I believe the name they are likely to give you is Babe Ruth.

In looking over my digital collection of Ruth pictures I was looking for one to post tonight but could not decide. Babe Ruth was full of so much personality (and hot dogs) that he was photographed so many different times in many different situations. So instead of picking just one photo I decided to post a number of them for your viewing pleasure. I hope you enjoy today's photo gallery.

Taking BP at the 1932 World Series at Wrigley Field just hours before his "called shot"

attachment.php

After running into a wall at Washington's Griffith Park chasing down a long fly ball hit by the Senator's first baseman Joe Judge, Ruth lay on the ground, out cold for five minutes. Ruth would recover and hit a home run the next day for his 22nd round tripper of the 1924 season.

attachment.php

Ruth and White Sox pitcher Eddie Cicotte conferring before a game in Chicago's Comiskey Park in 1920. Cicotte, of Black Sox fame would go on to be suspended later in the season that this picture was taken and would never play major league baseball again.
attachment.php

The Babe and an unknown team mate looking dapper in their Yankee warm up sweaters. Sweaters were the warm up jackets of their day and worn by all teams.

attachment.php

In an effort to raise money for the war bond effort a charity game was held in 1943 which brought back a who's who of baseball stars. Seen in the front Srow are Honus Wagner of the Pirates, Frankie "The Fordham Flash" Frisch, Ruth, Walter Johnson and Tris Speaker of the Indians. The back row we see Red Sox legend Duffy Lewis of Duffy's cliff fame, Eddie Collins, Giants legend Roger Bresnahan, Cornelius McGillicuddy otherwise known as Connie Mack, Hall of Fame umpire Bill Klem, New York Giants Red Murray and George Sisler. Wthat a lineup this would have been to see when these guys were all in their playing days.

attachment.php

The Babe watches from the Stands as he sits out a game in July of 1932.

attachment.php

Early Ruth photo as a member of the Red Sox

attachment.php

Babe choosing his weapon at Comiskey Park

attachment.php

Babe Ruth as a Dodgers coach.....it just does not seem right seeing him in this uniform.

attachment.php

Babe's final appearance at Yankee stadium...the house that he built.

attachment.php

Attachments

• babe Ruth at wrigley.jpg
    babe Ruth at wrigley.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Babe Ruth knocked out 7 6 1924.jpg
    Babe Ruth knocked out 7 6 1924.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Babe Ruth and Eddie Cicotte at comiskey1920.jpg
    Babe Ruth and Eddie Cicotte at comiskey1920.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Babe Ruth Sweater.jpg
    Babe Ruth Sweater.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Babe Ruth 1943 War Bond Jubilee Game.jpg
    Babe Ruth 1943 War Bond Jubilee Game.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 93
  • Babe Ruth UD 1932 Jul24.jpg
    Babe Ruth UD 1932 Jul24.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 92
  • babe ruth red sopx.jpg
    babe ruth red sopx.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 91
  • babe ruth comisky bats.jpg
    babe ruth comisky bats.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Babe Ruth Dodgers.jpg
    Babe Ruth Dodgers.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Babe Ruth Yankee Stadium final image.jpg
    Babe Ruth Yankee Stadium final image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 89

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
That old-timers' photo is amazing! Honus Wagner was 69 years old there. Thanks for posting this.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Andrew,

I really like the young shot of Babe with the Red Sox. Just a classic picture of Ruth w/his teammates. Also, that color photo is classic; I don't think I've seen that picture before.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Really love these and the write ups!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for posting. Great mix of pics and I agree, I don't think his name ever loses the importance over time.

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts