Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PRETTY COOL - NEW US MINTED BASEBALL COIN!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pretty smart on the US Mint's part to hold off on pricing. Gold has been surging the last few weeks - if the mint obtained the gold for minting production when it was slumped around $1200 and is going to price it assuming gold $1380 like today, it just adds to how much more the mint can increase their margins on this particular run of gold coins.
So the U.S. Mint doesn't already have a giant stockpile of gold for making coins like this? They periodically buy gold based on planned production?
Serious question. I know very little about the Mint or coins.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
So the U.S. Mint doesn't already have a giant stockpile of gold for making coins like this? They periodically buy gold based on planned production?
Serious question. I know very little about the Mint or coins.

Yes they have some in stock - but they don't want to sell it at less than current market - so they continually update prices. If they didn't respond to market it would be too easy to buy from them and resell at a profit. They need to minimize arbitrage.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
The silver dollars will carry introductory pricing of $47.95 and $51.95 for the uncirculated and proof versions, respectively.

The clad half dollars will be available priced at $18.95 and $19.95 for the uncirculated and proof versions, respectively.

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
Seems the same people that designed the healthcare web site also did the US Mint site!
In waiting room, like fricking ticketmaster.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
2 hrs 23 min wait time. about the same amount of time it takes to load an fcb page

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I figured a lot of people would be buying the gold as investments. I'm buying as a keepsake. What did you end up getting? (just jumped down to 30 mins)

Completely forgot that this was today. I want to grab just a couple of the half dollars. One for myself and then one for my grandpa that is a coin collector. My wait time is 2 hours and 11 minutes. I'm debating if I want to stay in and hope that I don't get in while I'm in class since I'll be back to my room in a little over 2 hours

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
are they capping production of these at the numbers online (ie 50k gold coins) or is that just for the first run? So if you arent one of the first 50k then you can never get one unless in the secondary market?

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I waited in the waiting room for an hour and fifteen minutes and even after I got to the catalog, the site was incredibly slow. Probably took me over 30 minutes just to get my order placed.

I got 2 each of each silver dollar and 4 each of each half-dollar.

I wish I could have afforded the gold.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
bought (5) silver dollar proofs. first coin purchase ever. now where is the best place to buy a 2012 silver eagle?

Members online

Latest posts