Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

QUESTION about 1998 Zenith 5 x 7 Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
I bought ten Cal Ripken Jr 1998 Zenith 5 x 7 #Z50 cards. When I received the package, the first I noticed was that the jumbo cards was not flat. Not noticeable with one card but place on top of each other, you can tell the cards have something inside each one. Even though it's Cal Ripken, curiosity got the best of me and before I knew it, I was looking for the worst condition out of the ten and tried to be careful to split the jumbo card. The card was so glued together that there was no way of saving the Jumbo card. Lo and behold, I started with this card,
attachment.php

and ended up with this regular sized card of none other than......

attachment.php

WTF! I destroyed a Cal Ripken card for Jason Kendall. Dang!

Question is, how many of you guys opened a bunch of this jumbo cards and what was the best card you got from inside?

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I never opened one but I seem to remember that the easiest way to get the card is make small slit on the back of the 5x7 with a sharp razor.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Cards inside another card has to be one of THE dumbest ideas ever marketed. Gamblers love them though, since often there is a chance to get better or special cards, but why do we need to destroy another card to make this happen? I assume most collectors tend to hate them like I do.

I do remember these new and it was not uncommon for people to slit them (which leaves a semi-decent copy to collect, even though it is slit, if you can get the small card out with our further damage) or even just cut the top off entirely to reveal the prize within with no consideration for the jumbo card. I guess because odd sized cards are an acquired taste for most, this was the best was for people to not care as much about destroying the original card, unlike the more modern rip cards. I saved some of the better players I had (Thomas, Piazza, etc) in tact, but I do admit that I did end up slicing some more common players I otherwise wouldn't care about and don't remember getting much beyond a few silver parallels.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Lol, I think I have 2 cards from that set (Tejada/Arod??) didn't ever realize they have cards in the middle, curiosity is getting the better of me.....

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
ok I found a Martinez one, it is wavy a little but doesnt appear thick enough to have anything in it, as is /100. Im guess this variant doesnt have anything inside.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
ok I found a Martinez one, it is wavy a little but doesnt appear thick enough to have anything in it, as is /100. Im guess this variant doesnt have anything inside.

My experience was that all 5x7 inserts were in the middle and all regular sized inserts were in the middle 5x7 so my guess would be that a middle 5x7 insert wouldn't have a regular sized insert. But you never know!

Either way I wouldn't rip /100 Gold Impulse. Picked up a Clemens, Lofton and a couple commons the other day, myself.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Correct. My comment above was referring to whether ripping a parallel would lead to something greater.

I wouldn't recommend ever tearing any of the 5x7 base cards since the majority of them out of packs have been searched. You can take these cards into a dark room and use a flashlight to shine light through them to determine if there's an insert card inside them or a base card. Very easy to tell the difference when you do this as the light shines directly through the base cards and illuminates a darker card silhouette if it's an insert. Luckily this doesn't work on the Z-Silver and Z-Gold 5x7s.

This was fairly common knowledge when this product was new.

Aside from this I absolutely loved this product:

81b6b70824a803731490f660607a2722e4adbd30.display.jpg
9c7251ffe3c46d2332f7b623e953cee019b6ce29.display.jpg
6cbb9f84d8fa77b7f22a4ce1463a796255badd22.display.jpg
d11a4a45cf65f8504205e1a5dd102a1b34d48212.display.jpg

3282ee29aed1a1ac0c2b409641ed60dba46e7570.display.jpg
ddf8ff39d93e61f629b8cd2fd09b42622021b891.display.jpg

Last edited:

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Cards inside another card has to be one of THE dumbest ideas ever marketed. Gamblers love them though, since often there is a chance to get better or special cards, but why do we need to destroy another card to make this happen? I assume most collectors tend to hate them like I do.

I do remember these new and it was not uncommon for people to slit them (which leaves a semi-decent copy to collect, even though it is slit, if you can get the small card out with our further damage) or even just cut the top off entirely to reveal the prize within with no consideration for the jumbo card. I guess because odd sized cards are an acquired taste for most, this was the best was for people to not care as much about destroying the original card, unlike the more modern rip cards. I saved some of the better players I had (Thomas, Piazza, etc) in tact, but I do admit that I did end up slicing some more common players I otherwise wouldn't care about and don't remember getting much beyond a few silver parallels.

I agree with this 100%. Destroy a card to get a card. WOW!

I must be the only one who just found out (just today) that this 5 x 7's have a card inside.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
My experience was that all 5x7 inserts were in the middle and all regular sized inserts were in the middle 5x7 so my guess would be that a middle 5x7 insert wouldn't have a regular sized insert. But you never know!

Either way I wouldn't rip /100 Gold Impulse. Picked up a Clemens, Lofton and a couple commons the other day, myself.

I think my other one is an A's player, are there any A's from this set that you still need? (or the Gar one, I dont player collect him anymore)

You'd think a 5x7 card would be hard to lose but I managed to pull it off :rolleyes:. Will let you know when I find.

Members online

Latest posts