Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rate these pitchers based on career projections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As a Bowman Chrome fan, I tend to give more attention to players with a Chrome RC Auto than others. Thinking about Chrome releases, in my mind there are 4 pitchers who have distinguished themselves to this point in time, having pitched a few seasons in the majors and seen real success.

The four are:
Justin Verlander
Tim Lincecum
Clayton Kershaw
Felix Hernandez

Brief bios:

Justin Verlander
29 years old. 2012 is his 8th season in the league. 112-61 record with a 3.48 lifetime ERA. Last season won his first Cy Young and also won the MVP award in the AL going 24-5 with a 2.40 ERA. He's pitched 2 no-hitters and dials up his fastball to 100 late in games. (IMO could potentially follow a Roy Halladay career path, developing as a true ace a little older, and maintaining that through his 30's.

Tim Lincecum
28 years old. 2012 is his 6th season in the league. 71-48 record with a 3.17 lifetime ERA. Lead the league in K's 3 straight years and picked up 2 Cy Young awards, but has seen some regression since then, and has really struggled this season to a 2-7 6 ERA clip. Still K'ing a lot of guys, but both hits and walks are up significantly. Still though, just 28, and if he bounces back we may have all forgotten this by the end of the season.

Clayton Kershaw
24 years old. 2012 is his 5th season in the league. 52-31 record with a 2.85 lifetime ERA. Won the NL Triple Crown last season enroute to the Cy Young Award. Has not had an ERA over 3 since his rookie season.

Felix Hernandez
26 years old. 2012 is his 6th season in the league. 89-72 with a 3.27 ERA. Lead the league in WHIP twice and won the Cy Young in 2010 with a 2.27 ERA. Has struggled to accumulate wins pitching in Seattle, but is clearly one of the best in baseball and has been from a very young age.

All 4 are relatively young. All 4 have seen significant success in the Majors. How would you rank them based on who will have had the best career when they all retire (obviously including what they have done to this point.)

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
I think the most obvious omission would be David Price....

Here's how I'd rank them:
Clayton Kershaw
Justin Verlander
David Price
Felix Hernandez
Tim Lincecum

I think out of all of the pitchers listed above Price still has the most room to grow/mature.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Here is how I see it (10 ♦ being highest)

Justin Verlander ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Clayton Kershaw ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Tim Lincecum ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Felix Hernandez ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

And my reader submission..

Stephen Strasburg ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I think the most obvious omission would be David Price....

Here's how I'd rank them:
Clayton Kershaw
Justin Verlander
David Price
Felix Hernandez
Tim Lincecum

I think out of all of the pitchers listed above Price still has the most room to grow/mature.

Left out Price because I did no feel he has done as much in the Majors yet, but I could hear an argument otherwise. Strasburg is the same argument taken further, not enough o a track record for me.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Your amazing stat about Verlander:

He has pitched in five postseason series. His ERA in all five series is 5.00 or higher.

That's pretty surprising though I'll credit the small sample size.

On another note, I have not actually done it but I think comparing people's projections with the players card prices would be pretty interesting.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
That's pretty surprising though I'll credit the small sample size.

On another note, I have not actually done it but I think comparing people's projections with the players card prices would be pretty interesting.
That and the fact that he isnt pitching againt weak hitting A.L Central teams in the playoffs.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Verlander
Kershaw
Felix
Lincecum

I think Verlander is the next Nolan Ryan. I like Kershaw, but Verlander is more fun to watch (and I've watched them both).

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Verlander
Kershaw
Felix
Lincecum

I think Verlander is the next Nolan Ryan. I like Kershaw, but Verlander is more fun to watch (and I've watched them both).
Really? He walks too few to be a Nolan Ryan and he has a Cy Young award on his shelf, poor comparison. =P (Though in terms of no hitters you might be on to something, lol...)

sheetskout - Ha, all good...I will say I think Greinke likes it in Milwaukee, though!

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
That and the fact that he isnt pitching againt weak hitting A.L Central teams in the playoffs.

It's not like the other guys on this list are pitching in tough divisions either. The NL and AL wests are worse than the central. It hasn't been until recently that the Rangers have been mashing.

Members online

Latest posts