Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RED SOX SIGN DAVID PRICE - 7 YEARS/$217M

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I think whoever ends up with Greinke will regret it, and that includes my Dodgers. Sure, he's still very good now, but I don't see him putting up those numbers in year 4 onward. That kind of yearly salary would be particularly tough on San Francisco, imo, especially in the latter years of the contract.

Now, having said that, it's not my money. If the Dodgers go out and resign him, that is surely better than not having him and seeing him pitch at the Phone Booth.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I think whoever ends up with Greinke will regret it, and that includes my Dodgers. Sure, he's still very good now, but I don't see him putting up those numbers in year 4 onward. That kind of yearly salary would be particularly tough on San Francisco, imo, especially in the latter years of the contract.

Now, having said that, it's not my money. If the Dodgers go out and resign him, that is surely better than not having him and seeing him pitch at the Phone Booth.

The giants just paid Timmy 35 mil the last two years so I think he'll look like a steal at 32

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Thank God the Cardinals didn't blow that money on Price.

They wouldn't give that kind of money to Albert Pujols. Why would they give it to Price.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Why?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I guess they can afford to eat it on the back end but I don't like the years. Just the way it works these days though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I guess they can afford to eat it on the back end but I don't like the years. Just the way it works these days though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, but a guy of his ability kept healthy can still perform well enough through the whole contract, even if he's a #3 , 4, then 5, in the last years of the deal. I imagine guys like Ed Rod and Owens, maybe even Johnson, can step into an ace role, with my guess either Ed Rod or Johnson in 2-3 years. Johnson may never be an ace, but he's smart, and smarts in pitching can go a long ways.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Awesome! I personally love the signing. We not only got an ace, but we got an ace who can 100% pitch lights out in the AL East and at Fenway Park. Sure it's a lot of money, but we had room to add some payroll and that's the cost of getting an ace nowadays. I was worried the Sox were going to get Grienke (who reportedly would have if they didn't land Price) and that signing would have been a disaster. Best part of getting Price is that he doesn't cost us a first round draft pick, so we can continue to build a decent farm system.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
His numbers against the AL east are great but his postseason numbers are the complete opposite.

I just have a problem with the years.

All in all he is one of the best pitchers in baseball but just keep the following in mind:

Verlander, Lee, Halladay, Sabathia, Weaver, Johan were the top WAR pitchers in 2011. How'd they age?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
His numbers against the AL east are great but his postseason numbers are the complete opposite.

I just have a problem with the years.

All in all he is one of the best pitchers in baseball but just keep the following in mind:

Verlander, Lee, Halladay, Sabathia, Weaver, Johan were the top WAR pitchers in 2011. How'd they age?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I knew if I waited long enough someone would write up exactly how I feel. I could not have said it better myself! ;)

MetalAndy

Aug 10, 2014
NH
I'm a Sox fan so getting David Price seems like a much needed move. Obviously some points you guys have made are valid ones like years and money being too much. I agree, but it's what they had to do in order to get a #1 starter. Is he going to be this good in 3 or 4 years? Most likely not. I just hope they make it to the post season in 16 and he learns how to pitch past September. His ERA is 1.95 Fenway. That right there is a huge deal!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts