Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Retail markups.....at LCS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
I had my yearly checkup today and since local card shop is nearby I stopped by for few supplies. While there I notice the shop got retail packs, hanger boxes, and blaster boxes of this year's set on the rack at 20-30% markup. It's like shop owner bought stock of every single one from Target and Walmart to sell at the shop. Packs were $5 while hangers at $30 and blasters at $35. It's first I seen of it and likely a thing where they couldn't keep up with demand.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is a good way to lose business if your local shop is buying retail out from under you and then marking it up!

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Several standing in line at Target on days cards come in --they bought 30 boxes -left NONE ---Only one LCS in 40 miles and He normally doesn't get any of those . Magic cards / comic books are what LCS really heavy into --that's a large market here plus NBA cards . There are those that will spend $1000.00 on Basketball weekly most open in store. LCS won't sell more than one box to many [flippers]. NFL packs for $25.00 out of my league

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My shop just gets hammered buying stuff from distros and other dealers trying to keep their stock up, and sometimes they have retail product on the shelf with ~50% markup. It sucks, but I suspect the stocker stalkers get it and bring it to them, can't imagine the old guys who run the shop haunt Target themselves. When the alternative is having NOTHING to sell I can't really blame them. It's not like the guy is going to return the blasters to Target if the shop doesn't buy them.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I've seen this at card shows. Retail boxes that would normally sell for $20 are going for $35. A wax dealer told COVID is the best thing to happen to him. He throws anything on eBay wax related and it's gone in a blink of an eye. He was selling Triple Thread boxes back in April for almost double the cost. Crazy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm not saying card shops don't buy out retail and mark it up because they certainly do but it isn't difficult to buy retail cases from distributors and just sell them at the market rate.

Members online

Latest posts