Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think one of the hardest things about collecting a player, team or even set is that once the issue becomes "old", everyone kind of forgets about it. When an issue is new, everyone is busting boxes and trying to sell what they pull out. Eventually that supply dries up and in most cases, dry up is an understatement.Then rthere are people like me who don't get rid of much of anything. I bought boxes back in the day, won lots off ebay for a card or a few and have probably ended up with little gems that people are looking for, but they are buried away.

That is one of my post retirement goals (when I get there), to finally finish sorting and then combined 40+ years of collecting and boxing so that it's all stored in a way I can find anything quickly. I might end up having (3) 5000 boxes full that just have players who's name starts with A, but at least I'll be able to find ALL my Roberto Alomar cards in one place.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
What I look for is the giant "90" text in between horizontal lines of "UPPER DECK". That's the hockey one.

I need to go through my cards again, hard to imagine I dont have a hockey one in the 1700 1991 Upper Deck Andre Dawsons I have. Maybe I didn't really know what I was looking at when I went through them

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
The 2003 Topps set had these "Prime Cuts" inserts, with bat slices from the handle, trademark and barrel areas. The barrel ones were the rarest at 50 copies each.

I never thought much about it, but over the years I realized I never saw these things surface. So I looked at baseballcardpedia and when I saw the pack odds my jaw dropped. The Series 2 Prime Cuts inserts were hard to pull, but the Series 1 inserts were unbelievably hard to pull. For the barrel versions, you'd have to open 481,858 Series 1 hobby packs to expect to find a certain player, or 65,871 Series 1 HTA jumbo packs. I'm not making this up.

So this week I finally landed the elusive Series 1 barrel card, which completed the 6-card run (Alomar was in Series 1 and 2). So here they are.

2003 Topps Prime Cuts Barrel Series 1 #PC-RA SN 50.jpg

2003 Topps Prime Cuts Trademark Series 1 #PCT-RA SN 100.jpg

2003 Topps Prime Cuts Pine Tar Series 1 #PCP-RA SN 200.jpg

2003 Topps Prime Cuts Barrel Series 2 #PC-RA SN 50.jpg
2003 Topps Prime Cuts Trademark Series 2 #PCT-RA SN 100.jpg

2003 Topps Prime Cuts Pine Tar Series 2 #PCP-RA SN 200.jpg

MrMet2.0

Oct 28, 2021
Here
The 2003 Topps set had these "Prime Cuts" inserts, with bat slices from the handle, trademark and barrel areas. The barrel ones were the rarest at 50 copies each.

I never thought much about it, but over the years I realized I never saw these things surface. So I looked at baseballcardpedia and when I saw the pack odds my jaw dropped. The Series 2 Prime Cuts inserts were hard to pull, but the Series 1 inserts were unbelievably hard to pull. For the barrel versions, you'd have to open 481,858 Series 1 hobby packs to expect to find a certain player, or 65,871 Series 1 HTA jumbo packs. I'm not making this up.

So this week I finally landed the elusive Series 1 barrel card, which completed the 6-card run (Alomar was in Series 1 and 2). So here they are.

View attachment 355345

View attachment 355346

View attachment 355347

View attachment 355348
View attachment 355349

View attachment 355350

Such a Mets collector! I love it! lol

Heather said a bunch of her coworkers got buried under snow, you get slammed up there?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I wish Alomar had an autographed version. I'm not really into game used cards, but a big slice of bat with an autograph right on it, yeah, I can get behind that.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
And now, in lieu of any smashing new pickups, here's something from the wayback machine. 1990 Topps TV All Stars!

For some reason this has always been one of my favorites. A one-off Topps oddball issue that was only released in complete sets, packaged in a little box like a deck of playing cards. I really miss stuff like this.

1990 Topps TV All Stars #35.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Here's a card from one of the best sets of all time, IMHO, 1993 Upper Deck. The "Future Heroes" insert:

1993 Upper Deck Future Heroes #55.jpg

It's a cool card. I like the design. As a bonus, the front photo has an A's logo in the background, while the back talks about Robbie's HR in the 1992 ALCS against Eckersley. Sorry @Dilferrules :)

But if you thought that was it for this particular card, you'd be wrong.

There's also the UD certified autograph version, SN 1000:

1993 Upper Deck Future Heroes #55 UD Authentics Autograph SN 1000.jpg

And the Future Heroes Checklist:

1993 Upper Deck Future Heroes Checklist #NNO.jpg

And, because I'm a pervert, the mini version, aka a scissor cut version from a 93 UD wax box:

1993 Upper Deck Future Heroes #55 Wax Box Mini.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts