Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
So it took me about a week to drive to storage and locate these. Sorry for teh lint / dust
A few quick 240 dpi scans of a few examplars of 2005 Donruss Impressions Samples in my possession
Many similar to the set where multiple examples of different poses or teams exist
The dot matrix sample printing is UNDER the surface - its been confirmed by an ESM machine its underneath

The stars wound up scattered to the highest bidders -- my pile is mostly semi-stars and rookies / scrubs

Hope this helps - btw sadly none of mine were Alomars of the 100+ I checked
Jeff
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hey, that's pretty cool. Thanks for finding those and posting a few pics! It's odd to see them with that giant SAMPLE text. Most other DLP samples were printed in much smaller font. Maybe an Alomar will turn up one of these years :)

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well, the usual online sites have been a little dry lately. Some cool cards posted, but they're all in my collection already. It's OK though, these things happen. I am optimistic that in the next couple weeks some kind soul will list a card or two that I need, for a reasonable price...

In the meantime, here's one of my favorite early 90's magazine issues. The 1992 Ballstreet card. First one is the card itself, cut down to size from the full magazine panel. Second is the full magazine panel. The magazine itself was a small format, maybe half the height and width of a normal magazine. And each card panel was a full page. I just like this one.

1992 Ballstreet Magazine #NNO.jpg

1992 Ballstreet Magazine #NNO Uncut Panel.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Not many new pickups recently. There were a few cards I wanted up for bid on ebay, but bidders kept pushing auctions to ridiculous levels. Some Alomar collectors with deep pockets have appeared recently, it seems.

But when these two came up I just decided to go big, and of course ended up overpaying for both. But sometimes, when it's been a while since you've gotten anything noteworthy in the mail, these are the things you do.

2004 Upper Deck Power Up Purple. Just need the lavender one now, which is the second-most-scarce one. I have the most scarce one (blue), and didn't pay a lot for it. But this stupid purple one, wow. I got had, but in a few years I won't remember what I paid for it, and I'll be glad to have it. Just can't make a habit out of that!

2004 Upper Deck Power Up Purple #28.jpg

2003 Leaf Limited Moniker Jersey Number SN5. I like this 2003 Leaf Limited series, mainly because of the shininess and bold colors. But it's ridiculous. Alomar has five cards in the base set (count 'em, FIVE), and every one of them has like 15 parallels, including five autographed cards each numbered to 5.

2003 Leaf Limited Moniker Jersey Number #38 SN 5.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well, I'm sitting here listening to the Nuggets getting blown out by the Rockets. THE ROCKETS. And they've been getting blown out from minute one of this game. I mean, Jamal Murray gets hurt and the entire team collapses? WTF. I mean, except for Jokic, of course. That guy is otherworldly. I didn't know Serbia was a different planet. I thought it was just a different country...

Anyhoo, here's a little known oddball card. I've always had a soft spot for food issues, regional issues, and so forth.

2017 San Diego Padres Trader Jack

2017 San Diego Padres Trader Jack #NNO.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So this little guy came in today. The All Star MVP's insert from the 2005 UD All Star Classics set.

These are not serial numbered, and from the pack odds they shouldn't be THAT hard to come by. But I've never seen a copy of this one in the 9 years since I got back into collecting. Glad to have it, and the best part is that it only cost a few bucks.

2005 Upper Deck All Star Classics MVPs #MVP-16.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Big one in the mail today! The 2000 UD MVP Super Script /25. I may have overpaid for it, but not that much. And given the serious case of hobby blue balls I'd come down with, it was worth it.

So without further ado, the 1999 and newly completed runs of 2000 UD MVP!

1999 MVP Base
1999 Upper Deck MVP #60.jpg

1999 MVP Silver Script
1999 Upper Deck MVP Silver Script #60.jpg

1999 MVP Gold Script /100
1999 Upper Deck MVP Gold Script #60 SN 100.jpg
1999 MVP Super Script /25
1999 Upper Deck MVP Super Script #60 SN 25.jpg
1999 MVP All Star Fan Fest
(note different card number)
1999 Upper Deck MVP Fan Fest #AS12.jpg
2000 MVP Base
2000 Upper Deck MVP #93.jpg
2000 MVP Silver Script
2000 Upper Deck MVP Silver Script #93.jpg

2000 MVP Gold Script /50
2000 Upper Deck MVP Gold Script #93 SN 50.jpg

2000 MVP Super Script /25
2000 Upper Deck MVP Super Script #93 SN 25.jpg

Last edited:

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Hey there everyone. Been years since I have been active on here. But figured I would jump on today and see what was going on. I seem to recall I have a very rare Roberto Alomar parallel card from the late 90's early 2000's that I was going to list for sale years ago. Then I bought a farm in the country and life got busy. I'll see if I can find it and post it here before I think about listing it - I think it might have been serial numbered to 10 copies

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Cool! Thanks for checking in. I for one would love to see what you find...

Hey there everyone. Been years since I have been active on here. But figured I would jump on today and see what was going on. I seem to recall I have a very rare Roberto Alomar parallel card from the late 90's early 2000's that I was going to list for sale years ago. Then I bought a farm in the country and life got busy. I'll see if I can find it and post it here before I think about listing it - I think it might have been serial numbered to 10 copies

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
OK I was able to find the card, and it is as interesting as I recall. Definitely a sweet rare early 2000's insert, and one that I actually do not have of Barry Larkin ( I actually think they did not make them of every player in the set maybe??). The card is a 2000 Pacific Prism Proof of Roberto Alomar - Card #41 in the set - serial #'d 7/10. It's a really sweet card in great condition, very odd in it's production. It almost feels like a true, almost flimsy proof, with a blank, but also wavy texture on the back. The front looks like a regular type of 2000 Pacific Prism parallel type card, with the serial number printed in the bottom right front corner. Just saw this thread and remembered this card from years ago so thought I would share :)

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
You're right, that really is a unique card. One of the weirdest parallels ever.

I already have a copy, oddly enough, but I know another Alomar collector who would probably be interested. I'll email him, and if he's interested he can PM you from this board.

Thanks again for the post, and for mentioning this card!

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
A day-after-Christmas mailday! It was a heavy day for the postal service, so mail didn't come until well after 5 today. And it was cold here. I really appreciate the job the USPS does, day in and day out. Despite a a few issues here and there, I am quite the happy little citizen with the service this government agency provides.

2004 Fleer Authentix Standing Room Only /5. As with anything SN10 or less from the 90's or 2000's, it's a long shot that you'll ever get one. But it does happen, and this card completes the 2004 Authentix run.

2004 Fleer Authentix Standing Room Only #74 SN 5.jpg

This makes me a very happy Crocostimpy.

crocostimpy.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Happy new years guys. Coming up on 9 years for me being on FCB! Still glad to be a part of this board.

One massive card arrived today, the 1999 Pacific Prism Red. I think most collectors realize these are pretty rare, but I'm not sure everyone appreciates just how rare they really are. The print run is 123 copies, according to this blurb from baseballcardpedia.com:

"Former CEO Mike Cramer stated that the ratio for WalMart-exclusive Red parallel was 1:97 packs and production sheets show that there were 123 packed out sets with 10 extra sets used for damage replacement purposes. Cramer also stated that any unused replacement sets were likely destroyed. Further, he said that WalMart always sold out and no boxes were ever returned to Pacific."

However, over the last 9 years since I got back into collecting, I've seen multiple copies of many, many other late 90's inserts numbered to 100. Even Crusade purples, probably 5-6 of those. But until recently, I'd never seen one of these surface. Pacific retail parallels are notoriously tough, and this Prism one is right at the top.

So a few weeks ago one came up for auction, and I bid $120 on it. I thought that would probably do it, but truth be told, deep down that felt optimistic. And it was. It ended up going for $140, with 2 bidders ahead of me. So if I'd have waded into that bidding war, maybe it would have been $180? We'll never know, but after that auction I really regretted not going higher. I'm not missing too many Pacific parallels, and I lust after them.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and one afternoon I decided to refresh ebay for no reason. Lo and behold, there was another copy. For $12 BIN. And even more unbelievable, listed by COMC. And my little fingers were fast enough to get it. This card might not count as a white whale to some, but it does to me.

Anyhooo, here's the scan. In person these things are a lot more eye catching than I would have thought.

1999 Pacific Prism Red #17 PR 123.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
One nice little pickup recently, the 2002 UD Honor Roll gold parallel SN25. Robbie has 5 cards in this set, each with a silver SN100 and gold SN25 parallel. Only 3 left to complete that run.

Side note - it's always curious to see cards printed around 2002, when he went to the Mets. Everyone thought that would be a great trade for NY, but in reality it was the beginning of the end of his career. He had a killer season in Cleveland the year before in 2001, but fell off a cliff as soon as he joined the Mets. But that has happened so many times for so many players, it makes me wonder...is it the player, or is it the Mets? :) @MrMet2.0

2002 Upper Deck Honor Roll Gold #43 SN 25.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Jesus.

In case that link expires, it's a 1999 Fleer Brilliants 24k sold for $1250 BIN.

MrMet2.0

Oct 28, 2021
Here
One nice little pickup recently, the 2002 UD Honor Roll gold parallel SN25. Robbie has 5 cards in this set, each with a silver SN100 and gold SN25 parallel. Only 3 left to complete that run.

Side note - it's always curious to see cards printed around 2002, when he went to the Mets. Everyone thought that would be a great trade for NY, but in reality it was the beginning of the end of his career. He had a killer season in Cleveland the year before in 2001, but fell off a cliff as soon as he joined the Mets. But that has happened so many times for so many players, it makes me wonder...is it the player, or is it the Mets? :) @MrMet2.0

View attachment 353391

Definitely the player…I mean, who in their right mind would even collect this guy…jeez ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well, @MrMet2.0, I will have you know that there are numerous highly educated, erudite, and learned individuals besides myself who collect Roberto Alomar cards. Many, many, many such individuals do indeed exist. However I am having trouble recalling their exact names and whereabouts. Nonetheless, I assure you that your thinly veiled assaults on our integrity have not gone unnoticed. Indeed this vicissitude of yours has incurred the ire of more than just myself! Good day sir!

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So I picked up this one the other day, and felt sorta OK about what I paid for it. It was something like $60. Even though they're un-numbered, these things are rarer than you think.

But then, of course, two days later another listing appears with a weirdly labeled set of three cards, including this one. And of course it sold for $15. Damnit!

This phenomenon has happened several times recently, where a seldom seen card appears for the first time in years, and then after it sells another example appears...and sells for much less. Sometimes I've been the winner, and picked up the second one. But other times I've been the first guy, the chump, who buys the expensive one, not knowing a cheaper one is about to appear.

As Vonnegut said..."so it goes".

Without further ado, the 2000 Topps Finest Gold Refractor.

2000 Topps Finest Gold Refractor #35.jpg

Members online

Latest posts