Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So basically isnt COMC getting .50 per card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I have way too many $1 cards that otherwise would just sit here and waste away. Having to have supplies to move another 500 cards at $1 a piece is just too much of a pain that I probably wouldn't get to anyways, so if I can box them up and maybe get .50 per after fees without having to deal with shipping it's a no brainer. Much more likely to sell a card on COMC for $1 than on ebay for .99 + SH

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Bingo!

While you can easily buy and relist on COMC, it's not really a place for prospecting or speculating to make big money for your PayPal account. It's niche, as has been mentioned before, is team & player collectors, and set builders.

- Rodrick

I would disagree on the prospecting portion, I have done damn well buying up "hot prospects", or breakout players such as Junior Lake during his first game, or players just called up, etc. As the price is already set and you aren't waiting for the inflated BIN's on ebay. You can also scoop up lower end prospect autos in bulk, for example, I recently picked up 40 Chrome autos of one player in a month span on COMC, all under $3 each. So, for me, thumbs up to prospecting on COMC.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
I sell everything on COMC. The extra fee is worth it to me for all the reasons listed, but the biggest reasons I do it are A) not having to deal with ebay's policies that I constantly hear sellers complain about over and over and over but never seem to seek any alternative, and B) not having to deal with the crazy games buyers play on ebay.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I like the site and functionality . 2 things that drive me mad or confuse me

1) Sellers who don't even send a counter offer . If I am offer say $3 on a card you have for $4, you really just "don't accept" ? Seems rediculous. Lately I have tried to pick up some regional players, I'm talking 5 year old cards that don't move and your just going to sit on em for a quarter difference? Most of the higher $10 + cards I'll get at least a counter on

2) I am amazed with the quantities on garbage sent in for .25. How many if a single 1988 Donruss card are needed on the site? It's just an example but you send in 1000 of that type of card that's $250 you should have just donated IMO

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
It's niche, as has been mentioned before, is team & player collectors, and set builders.

I'd disagree about bundling set builders into COMC's niche. I'm a set builder and COMC is my stop of last-resort - the commons are about 2x more expensive than other sites and the shipping fee is more expensive.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
20% cashout fee is robbery!!!

that's why I'm not considering COMC unless that changes. Why should I send in cards, sell them on the site, and be locked into spending the money on their site or on BO, which is no longer the automatic king of wax+delivery pricing among the reputable online wax dealers. Cash is king as it works anywhere I want to shop or save it or invest it compared to store credit/gift cards.

JHeyKolektor24

Oct 14, 2013
Central TX
that's why I'm not considering COMC unless that changes. Why should I send in cards, sell them on the site, and be locked into spending the money on their site or on BO, which is no longer the automatic king of wax+delivery pricing among the reputable online wax dealers. Cash is king as it works anywhere I want to shop or save it or invest it compared to store credit/gift cards.

This +++++

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I respect the effort of comc but lets be honest...they are in it to make money.. not to offer a cheap service for anyone. Just like ebay watch how the fees will continue to adjust til they hit a breaking point.. I love how they charge a storage fee on cards... Lmao. According to the site they have over 7 million items. If that is the case say they have 3 million cards that they charge a "storage fee". Give me a fricking break. That is 30K right there. And honestly 7 million items doesn't cost 30k a month to store. These guys are making a killing... Buying commons sure, wow what a site. But please these guys are ripping a real seller off.. No cheaper than ebay and less exposure. I am not saying i love ebay, but please 13 percent total fees is way better than their obnoxious fees. A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY IF YOU ASK ME. just an opinion, oh and now they they have teamed with Beckett... I feel it is a waste of money.. It is for buyers.... not sellers.

Last edited:

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
I respect the effort of comc but lets be honest...they are in it to make money.. not to offer a cheap service for anyone. Just like ebay watch how the fees will continue to adjust til they hit a breaking point.. I love how they charge a storage fee on cards... Lmao. According to the site they have over 7 million items. If that is the case say they have 3 million cards that they charge a "storage fee". Give me a fricking break. That is 30K right there. And honestly 7 million items doesn't cost 30k a month to store. These guys are making a killing... Buying commons sure, wow what a site. But please these guys are ripping a real seller off.. No cheaper than ebay and less exposure. I am not saying i love ebay, but please 13 percent total fees is way better than their obnoxious fees. A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY IF YOU ASK ME. just an opinion, oh and now they they have teamed with Beckett... I feel it is a waste of money.. It is for buyers.... not sellers.

Those fees cover their operational costs. When you are talking about 7 million cards it isn't cheap to scan, add descriptions, put into stock, store, pick, and ship those items.

I completely disagree with your comments of ripping off "real" sellers. They offer a great service and significant cost savings when it comes to time/handling for smart sellers.

Ebay is still king when it come to making a quick flip or selling during a hot streak, but COMC offers great value for lower end or less volatile items.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I'd disagree about bundling set builders into COMC's niche. I'm a set builder and COMC is my stop of last-resort - the commons are about 2x more expensive than other sites and the shipping fee is more expensive.

The shipping fee is perfect if you wait and get a good stack of cards to ship. $3 to ship one card is bad (almost the same as buying singles on ebay). But if you wait til you have ten or even more cards in your inventory, it totally makes it worthwhile.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I've experienced COMC as a buyer, flipper, and seller, and I absolutely love the site. The site is great for lower end autos and numbered cards, and I think the fee structure is fairly priced. The fees are in place to cover their overhead costs, and I'd imagine what are not insignificant costs of running a website hosting front and back scans of millions of cards. I think the storage fee is in place at least in part to encourage sellers to price cards to move. The site works best when there are a wide range of sellers buying, selling, and flipping on a regular basis. But it seems like since the site switched from Check Out My Cards to COMC that cards have become increasingly consolidated among a shrinking group of sellers who seem intent on squeezing every cent from their cards, or inflating the prices because they are the only copy of a card listed. I don't care if you're the only copy of a 1992 Barry Bonds O-Pee-Chee submitted on the site - there's no way that card is ever selling for $5, but if you list it for $.50 or $.75 you may sell the card in a matter of days. It seems like certain sellers have started treating it as a showcase, listing cards at or well above ebay prices in hopes of snagging a desperate buyer and leaving the cards to sit on the site for years.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
I have 350,000 - one 20th - it takes a bunch of shelves - and I'm just organizing and tracking my inventory - 7 million cards and you have to track the seller on each one - yikes. I know I spend 500 hours a year at least on mine as a hobby - 20x500 is 10,000 hours a year. I'm guessing they have a significant warehouse space - they have to climate control it and security is an issue.

I've never heard any seller that used that was unhappy - the cashout fee does seem steep, but if you use it to build a collection is should work just fine.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
The shipping fee is perfect if you wait and get a good stack of cards to ship. $3 to ship one card is bad (almost the same as buying singles on ebay). But if you wait til you have ten or even more cards in your inventory, it totally makes it worthwhile.

Its great for a player collector, but not so much a set builder. I can't recall if COMC has a minimum price rule, but for most, it costs $0.25 per card for COMC to process it, thus they will end up wanting more than a quarter/card when setting prices. On top of that, COMC adds another $0.25 to the card, making the price for the buyer ~$0.50. As a set builder, I'm not looking to spend $0.50/card for base cards, especially when I'm working on a set containing 200+ cards.

JHeyKolektor24

Oct 14, 2013
Central TX

The nail on the head sir!

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Those fees cover their operational costs. When you are talking about 7 million cards it isn't cheap to scan, add descriptions, put into stock, store, pick, and ship those items.

I completely disagree with your comments of ripping off "real" sellers. They offer a great service and significant cost savings when it comes to time/handling for smart sellers.

Ebay is still king when it come to making a quick flip or selling during a hot streak, but COMC offers great value for lower end or less volatile items.

While I respect your opinion, i still say selling on ebay will make you more of a profit over COMC.

As for operational costs, once you have the site up and running, the operational costs would be minimal. As for not cheap to scan cards, add descriptions, put in stock, store, pick up and ship?? Tedious, SUre... Expensive? There is no real expense other than an hourly wage to someone willing to scan, store and ship the cards. how much does it cost to scan and store?? There is no description, just a title which is already in their database, scanning the cards.... 30 seconds? I don't know but I scan a put cards in sportscard forum all the time and it is not difficult. Already have a title and I just need to scan the card. Yes their is a large quantity but once it it scanned what does it cost them? They charge you to ship so you are still paying for that. To each his own but just not worth it to me.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
For the buyer, the quarter is already in the price of the card. Its not a seperate additional charge when I buy the card. If the card is listed for 2 bucks, It just two bucks, not $2.25.

I never ask for a toploader (they cost extra in checkout). I get my cards in penny sleeves, and comc bundles them in a team bag between two toploaders. Its perfect.

Shipping is three bucks.

COMC, you are doing fine. Dont change a thing.

JHeyKolektor24

Oct 14, 2013
Central TX
I've never heard any seller that used that was unhappy - the cashout fee does seem steep, but if you use it to build a collection is should work just fine.[/QUOTE]

And that is the point everyone is missing. COMC is great for guys that want to sell some cards to buy some cards. It is not ideal for someone who is selling for a living. Sometimes it may be hard to differentiate the two but there is a big difference. Im not bashing COMC in my earlier post, i was just misinformed. AS far as wanting to sell a few cards to buy a few it seems great

Members online

Latest posts