Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I got up... got some coffee and... BIGGEST PULL OF MY LIFE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
holy crap man. congrats on the cobb!

man, id have been jumping up n down had that been my pull

that guy cardsinfinity has been pulling some great things!

dave

Sent from my iPhone using FCB Gangnam Style mobile app

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Thanks guys! Yeah, I did run around a bit. I was very excited. And to top it all off, my wife asked: "Was he any good?" haha
I'm probably going to hang onto it a bit and just enjoy it. Don't know if I'm going to sell it yet. It's such a special card that it might be hard to let go.

I was thinking about what I would do with that card...and I would not sell it. I am in this hobby for fun and love my collection. I know you can make good money on it, but it is also a card that will hold value over time. You can always choose to sell later if you hold now. Unless you need the $, I would be right with you in your statements above.

A_Pharis

It really depends on if you want a Cobb auto and in what state. You could get a slabbed/protected full check for a considerable amount less than what that card would sell for. If it's the GU, you could get a check and a GU for a combined total far less than the sell price.

It's a VERY nice card, don't get me wrong, but the value is definitely not just a sum of its parts.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
It really depends on if you want a Cobb auto and in what state. You could get a slabbed/protected full check for a considerable amount less than what that card would sell for. If it's the GU, you could get a check and a GU for a combined total far less than the sell price.

It's a VERY nice card, don't get me wrong, but the value is definitely not just a sum of its parts.

Nah man, I get all that. But I think we all agree that card is just ridiculous! And it seems no matter what gets pulled, it's like everyone's first thought is to sell. You get to wondering to yourself if there is anything anyone would keep nowadays. I guess this is where I and others seem to diverge a bit.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
My reasoning has been mentioned by other posters. If I pulled this card, it would be sold in a heartbeat. I have a PSA Ty Cobb full size check auto, but if I didn't have that, I'd still sell this one and buy another Cobb auto for much less. Either pocket the difference, or put it towards maybe a Honus Wagner or Christy Mathewson auto.

It's a beautiful card, and I'd probably keep it for a few weeks to enjoy it. But I'd turn it into another Cobb auto and then some.

Sad that that is your first thought....

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Nah man, I get all that. But I think we all agree that card is just ridiculous! And it seems no matter what gets pulled, it's like everyone's first thought is to sell. You get to wondering to yourself if there is anything anyone would keep nowadays. I guess this is where I and others seem to diverge a bit.

My first thought is the same as your's, although A_Pharis' situation works just as well in this particular case.

Seems that 95% of people who'd pull that card would instantly try to sell it - mostly because they can't really afford to be in the hobby in the first place... or are more interested in making money than collecting cards. And yes, someone who sells cards to buy more cards usually can't afford their hobby.

In any case, that's a FANTASTIC card!!!

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
As I said above, the only reason I'd sell this is because I know I could buy another Ty Cobb auto that might be more aesthetically pleasing to me, and since it isn't stamped 1/1 (manufactured scarcity) I can get it for a fraction of what this would sell for. I have a small list of pre-war autos I'd like to add to my collection, but I know I don't have 2-3k to drop for a Wagner, Matty, Johnson, Lajoie, etc. If I pulled this, I would turn it into something else is all. Not because I can't afford to be in the hobby, but because I'd be happier with a different Cobb plus a Wagner or something else than I would this card.

My first thought is the same as your's, although A_Pharis' situation works just as well in this particular case.

Seems that 95% of people who'd pull that card would instantly try to sell it - mostly because they can't really afford to be in the hobby in the first place... or are more interested in making money than collecting cards. And yes, someone who sells cards to buy more cards usually can't afford their hobby.

In any case, that's a FANTASTIC card!!!

Members online