Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So remember when Beckett had that box with the A. Peterson?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
blanning71 said:
This has NOTHING to do with Bin Laden or terrorists! Its freakin baseball cards! Come on dude! Thats silly!

I swear.... Bin Laden is behind this.. all the key people that can help end this have been paid off.

my calculations say that the Pujols 1/1 may have some kind of toxic poo gas in it.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I know you're probably trying to be funny but like Gilmore said, its embarassing. There are lots of people that read this and we don't want to make ourselves look like assclowns to manufacturer reps and figureheads of the industry. Just saying.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
blanning71 said:
I know you're probably trying to be funny but like Gilmore said, its embarassing. There are lots of people that read this and we don't want to make ourselves look like assclowns to manufacturer reps and figureheads of the industry. Just saying.

shot down before I could post this :cry:
[youtube:2dt0xekd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddAi8FF3F4[/youtube:2dt0xekd]

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
blanning71 said:

I think its great that you used the word "figureheads." Haha.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
blanning71 said:
This has NOTHING to do with Bin Laden or terrorists! Its freakin baseball cards! Come on dude! Thats silly!

[youtube:nnbum3gv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le1vDkNx56k[/youtube:nnbum3gv]

Super32

Aug 8, 2008
They just posted a National Treasures Basketball box break. Not quite as exciting, however, they did pull a Kobe nicknames auto.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Super32 said:
They just posted a National Treasures Basketball box break. Not quite as exciting, however, they did pull a Kobe nicknames auto.

LMAO... this really tells the whole story. beckett breaks are so loaded that a Kobe auto is mundane :lol: :lol:

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I just watched the Tribute break. I do like the look of the cards as opposed to last year. Some tweaking of the design did wonders.

On the note about loaded boxes, they don't do themselves any favors when they act like that on those videos.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
And they pull a Kobe Bryant Notable Nickname autograph redemption out of National Treasures and a triple auto out of Press Pass Showcase #2/5 today. I really need those guys to start picking out my boxes because they are lucky!

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Know this fell off the front page...but apparently it's still a hot topic on the internets.

Don't know if anyone saw. Beckett tried to defend the box by illustrating how many 1/1's are produced each year.
All that did was piss people off more......but what I found most interesting (found on a couple other blogs and sites) is this post by a employee on his site and is now circulating......

Last night on Twitter, Steven Judd (former trading card brand manager) made the following statements:

"So Beckett got a loaded box, big deal. I "packed" quite a few of them over the years. Get over it. It's part of the business. Geez..... When the Beckett boards were more dominant. I would make a special "case" (I'd give the packout vendor a specific list of auto/mem hits to put in each box), have it sent to a buddy of mine a week prior to the release date, have him break the scan and scan all of the auto/mem cards and then post a box-by-box break on the Beckett boards around midnight on the night before the release date in order to get people excited about the product.
I like to call it guerilla marketing. Just to be clear, Beckett or the folks who work there have nothing to do with the "loaded" boxes they receive. It's the PDT/marketing people at the card companies that plot and scheme to jerrymander the box/boxes.

I think everybody takes some of this a bit too seriously. That's just me. Maybe I'm the ******* here, but it's just a box of cards. Again, I'm pretty sure Beckett Media, or any of its employees, is not responsible for all of the ills of this industry...good gracious can't you all at least think of something different to bitch about? Same song, same verse, different day."

If it's true - I know it simply confirms what most of us believed.....and really sucks for the average collector.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
rymflaherty said:
Know this fell off the front page...but apparently it's still a hot topic on the internets.

Don't know if anyone saw. Beckett tried to defend the box by illustrating how many 1/1's are produced each year.
All that did was piss people off more......but what I found most interesting (found on a couple other blogs and sites) is this post by a employee on his site and is now circulating......

Last night on Twitter, Steven Judd (former trading card brand manager) made the following statements:

"So Beckett got a loaded box, big deal. I "packed" quite a few of them over the years. Get over it. It's part of the business. Geez..... When the Beckett boards were more dominant. I would make a special "case" (I'd give the packout vendor a specific list of auto/mem hits to put in each box), have it sent to a buddy of mine a week prior to the release date, have him break the scan and scan all of the auto/mem cards and then post a box-by-box break on the Beckett boards around midnight on the night before the release date in order to get people excited about the product.
I like to call it guerilla marketing. Just to be clear, Beckett or the folks who work there have nothing to do with the "loaded" boxes they receive. It's the PDT/marketing people at the card companies that plot and scheme to jerrymander the box/boxes.

I think everybody takes some of this a bit too seriously. That's just me. Maybe I'm the ******* here, but it's just a box of cards. Again, I'm pretty sure Beckett Media, or any of its employees, is not responsible for all of the ills of this industry...good gracious can't you all at least think of something different to bitch about? Same song, same verse, different day."

If it's true - I know it simply confirms what most of us believed.....and really sucks for the average collector.

Dude why wouldn't it not be true. You have something to sell and you want it to sell. So just like the mark at a carnival he will win to draw in the people. Beckett is no different in the sense they have the following and the Media to get the product exposed and they play along just well. And to keep face they give away the cards which helps the card companies even more. I see nothing wrong in it at all.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I just read the article, thanks for posting. The number they give (30K 1/1s in 2009) must include plates - but plates aren't cards, plates are used to create cards. This doesn't make plates less a collectible IMO at all, I love them, but they're just as much a card as a photo negative used to create the card.

But I digress. The more complicated the hobby becomes and the more money and middlemen involved in it, the more likely collectors are going to find issues and conflicts like this. Its a shock to those who think the hobby has remained simple, maybe cards will regain their innocence under the right leadership.

rymflaherty said:

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008

I thought Twitter had a 140 letter max or something. That's like 5000 letters

Members online

Latest posts