Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Team Specific Autograph Collections - Tracking & Trading Central Database

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I know that there are several publicly noted team autograph collectors. Off the top of my head, the main one's I recall seeing frequently and/or recently are: Astros, Braves, Brewers, Dodgers (myself), Mets and Yankees. Forgive me if I left anyone out who is equally passionate about team specific autographs. I bring this up because most, if not all, of us are seeking any player related to that team, but here is where I was hoping to clarify some of the minor differences.

For example, I will collect an autograph of any player who was ever part of the Brooklyn or LA Dodgers roster, coach, manager, owners/GM/executive and even go so far as to include others like broadcasters, scouts, team Rx, etc and other better known personalities associated with the team. I don't know any specifically for the Dodgers, but here in Seattle, I have even grabbed a signature from a food vendor who was well known and a lovable stadium character (Rick The Peanut Man). If it is free, I'd take the assistant manager of ticket sales, but realistically I would only buy or trade for people that might be known to the public at some level. I prefer Dodger specific items, but will take anything if that is not available. I might upgrade someday, but that is not a high priority. I am OK with a Rangers card of a guy who played 6 games for the Dodgers.

I'd like to hear from anyone else I may have missed and perhaps even some clarification in one spot from some of the other team collectors who share their pick-ups or have websites, in hopes that maybe we all or others can help with the chase. Please feel free to share the TEAM you collect, does player have to be in that teams uniform? Are minor League affiliates OK? What if the player is pictured on your team, but they never made it to MLB level?

That said, I sold a lot of my extra unwanted autographs in lots, as the individual trading had all but evaporated. However, over time I have built up a small collection again and there are also some sub-categories that I never cleared out at bulk rates for various reasons like players still active (as they may eventually come to the Dodgers...learned this the head way in the past), foreign born players who might return to their native land and be harder to obtain, deceased players and nobody ever bought my certified MLB card lot, so have a bunch of those still. I have maybe 200 unwanted autographs of various teams, manufacturers and players that could help other team collectors. They should all be considered "commons". I keep most of my star autographs in my collection.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Team Collected: Dodgers
Do they need to be in Dodger uniform? No, but that is preferred.
Are Minor League Affiliates OK? Yes, but will always take a Dodger card over say a Albuquerque Dukes card.
What if the player never made the bigs, but is shown as a Dodger? Most definitely.

Team Collected: Mariners (1977-1987)
Do They need to be in a Mariners uniform? Yes, with a few exceptions (scarce guys, will take anything - Rod Craig, Reggie Walton, Byron McLaughlin, etc)
Are Minor League Affiliates OK? Mostly, yes.
What is the player never made the bigs, but is still shown as a Mariner? Yes, for any cards in the 70s and early-mid 80s.

BucCollector

Apr 25, 2012
Team Collected: Pirates (1970-1979) - currently 96 / 159 on cards; 117 / 159 total
Do they need to be in a Pirates uniform? Yes.
Are Minor League Affiliates OK? Yes.
What is the player never made the bigs, but is still shown as a Pirate? There are a few of those - Harry Saferight is one. Yes.
Are custom cards okay? Definitely.
Signed team cards? Yes.
Just players? - Managers, coaches, front office, announcers, mascot, and 100-year-old usher Phil Coyne, who appeared in 2018 A&G.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
YearBrandPlayerTeamNotes
1966ToppsBork, FrankPirates
1969ToppsShellenback, JimPirates2 copies
1969ToppsTaylor, CarlPirates
1971ToppsCambria, FredPirates
1975ToppsMorlan, JohnPiratesMini
1978ToppsMacha, KenPirates

chippernate

Team Collected: Braves (190 out of 2032)
Do they need to be in Braves uniform? Yes
Are Minor League Affiliates OK? Yes, but Braves over Stripers cards any day of the week
What if the player never made the bigs, but is shown as a Brave? Sure, but not a priority
Are custom cards okay? Absolutely
Signed team cards? Yes, but would prefer custom if they don’t have any other available
Just players? Managers/coaches as well, broadcasters too. Would love to make a custom of the Carey family

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Team Collected: Pirates (1970-1979) - currently 96 / 159 on cards; 117 / 159 total
Do they need to be in a Pirates uniform? Yes.
What is the player never made the bigs, but is still shown as a Pirate? There are a few of those - Harry Saferight is one. Yes.
Are custom cards okay? Definitely.
Signed team cards? Yes.
Just players? - Managers, coaches, front office, announcers, mascot, and 100-year-old usher Phil Coyne, who appeared in 2018 A&G.
That is a nice tight time frame, which keeps the chase finite. Don't have many extras from that era, but if there are any you need, let me know. List posted in previous comment.

Who would be considered the toughest from that list? I realize Clemente is in that grouping, but his signature does not appear to be all that scarce, just pricy. Who was or is a pain to even find at all?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Team Collected: Braves (190 out of 2032)
Do they need to be in Braves uniform? Yes
Are Minor League Affiliates OK? Yes, but Braves over Stripers cards any day of the week
What if the player never made the bigs, but is shown as a Brave? Sure, but not a priority
Are custom cards okay? Absolutely
Signed team cards? Yes, but would prefer custom if they don’t have any other available
Just players? Managers/coaches as well, broadcasters too. Would love to make a custom of the Carey family
There are just the vintage "trade-ables" I have. Since you don't limit to specific time frame, I may have a few newer cards (certified, minors, ttm, etc). Since you are just starting out fairly recently, it should not be hard to find larger groups of needs. Who would you say is the toughest auto to find, say post WWII, for the Braves?

YearBrandPlayerTeamNotes
1964ToppsBritton, JimBravesDual signature w/ Maxie
1964ToppsMaxie, LarryBravesDual signature w/ Britton
1965ToppsKolb, GaryBraves
1971ToppsKester, RickBraves
1972ToppsMcQueen, MikeBraves
1972ToppsNeibauer, GaryBraves
1974ToppsDevine, AdrianBraves
1974ToppsGoggin, ChuckBraves3 copies
1975ToppsCorrell, VicBraves
1975SSPCCorrell, VicBraves
1975ToppsFoster, LeoBraves
1976ToppsBeard, MikeBraves
1976ToppsCorrell, VicBraves
1976OPCCorrell, VicBraves
1976ToppsEasterly, JamieBraves
1976OPCEasterly, JamieBraves
1976ToppsGilbreath, RodBraves
1977ToppsBelloir, RobBraves2 copies
1977ToppsCorrell, VicBraves
1978ToppsAsselstine, BrianBraves
1978ToppsCampbell, DaveBraves
1978ToppsNolan, JoeBraves3 copies
1979ToppsAsselstine, BrianBraves4 copies
1979ToppsBeall, BobBraves3 copies
1979ToppsCampbell, DaveBraves
1979ToppsDevine, AdrianBraves
1979ToppsEasterly, JamieBraves2 copies
1979ToppsGilbreath, RodBraves
1979ToppsNolan, JoeBraves2 copies
1979TCMASmith, KennyBravesMinor League
1980ToppsDevine, AdrianBraves
1980ToppsHanna, PrestonBraves
1980ToppsMatula, RickBraves2 copies
1980ToppsMcLaughlin, BoBraves
1980ToppsMcLaughlin, JoeyBraves
1980ToppsNolan, JoeBraves3 copies
1982ToppsAsselstine, BrianBraves
1984ToppsHarper, TerryBraves
1986DonrussJohnson, JoeBraves
1986FleerKomminsk, BradBraves

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Yankees .... have to be in Yankees uniform or on something without team affiliation, such as index cards, logos, etc. ....definitely will collect minor leaguers..... announcers, executives, etc with the Yankees organization are collected also.
Hope that answers all the questions! There’s also my running thread on my Yankees acquisitions.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Team Collected: Mets (see my Mets thread)

Do they need to be in Mets uniform? Yes (or Mets minors, see below)

What if the player never made the bigs, but is shown as a Met? Yes, but not a priority and part of the collection, but a separate part

Are custom cards okay? Gotta do what you gotta do to get them on a “Mets” card

Signed team cards? Yep, even logo cards, eventually to be upgraded but they work for now

Just players? Anyone affiliated with the team, managers, coaches, announcers, mascots, fans, and on and on...spoiler alert: nonplayer update coming to the thread...soon

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yankees .... have to be in Yankees uniform or on something without team affiliation, such as index cards, logos, etc. ....definitely will collect minor leaguers..... announcers, executives, etc with the Yankees organization are collected also.
Hope that answers all the questions! There’s also my running thread on my Yankees acquisitions.
Danny, I probably couldn't help you out even if I had extra Yanks, but all of my "unwanted" Yankees are spoken for to a long time trade partner.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Team Collected: Mets (see my Mets thread)

Do they need to be in Mets uniform? Yes (or Mets minors, see below)

What if the player never made the bigs, but is shown as a Met? Yes, but not a priority and part of the collection, but a separate part

Are custom cards okay? Gotta do what you gotta do to get them on a “Mets” card

Signed team cards? Yep, even logo cards, eventually to be upgraded but they work for now

Just players? Anyone affiliated with the team, managers, coaches, announcers, mascots, fans, and on and on...spoiler alert: nonplayer update coming to the thread...soon

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
I keep an eye on the "main" team collectors autograph threads, so I have not seen anything you need pop up in my extras yet.

BucCollector

Apr 25, 2012
YearBrandPlayerTeamNotes
1966ToppsBork, FrankPirates
1969ToppsShellenback, JimPirates2 copies
1969ToppsTaylor, CarlPirates
1971ToppsCambria, FredPirates
1975ToppsMorlan, JohnPiratesMini
1978ToppsMacha, KenPirates
PM sent, thanks!

BucCollector

Apr 25, 2012
That is a nice tight time frame, which keeps the chase finite. Don't have many extras from that era, but if there are any you need, let me know. List posted in previous comment.

Who would be considered the toughest from that list? I realize Clemente is in that grouping, but his signature does not appear to be all that scarce, just pricy. Who was or is a pain to even find at all?

Of the players with Pirates cards, I think the toughest is going to be George Brunet (dec). He has one Pirates card and I've never seen it signed. Others that will be hard to find on a Pirates card will be Doug Bair, Dave Hamilton, Johnny Jeter, Tim Jones, Lou Marone (dec), Jim Nelson (dec), Willie Randolph, and Charlie Sands (dec).

Of those without cards - I've mailed a custom to Rimp Lanier, but without success. Same with George Kopacz. As far as I know, neither has been included in a cut signature release.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Of the players with Pirates cards, I think the toughest is going to be George Brunet (dec). He has one Pirates card and I've never seen it signed. Others that will be hard to find on a Pirates card will be Doug Bair, Dave Hamilton, Johnny Jeter, Tim Jones, Lou Marone (dec), Jim Nelson (dec), Willie Randolph, and Charlie Sands (dec).

Of those without cards - I've mailed a custom to Rimp Lanier, but without success. Same with George Kopacz. As far as I know, neither has been included in a cut signature release.
Randolph has that multi rookie card as a Pirate. You just mean it might be tough to find one signed? Does he avoid the RC? I know he doesn't seem to be too common in general (he was a Dodger too at the end).

chippernate

There are just the vintage "trade-ables" I have. Since you don't limit to specific time frame, I may have a few newer cards (certified, minors, ttm, etc). Since you are just starting out fairly recently, it should not be hard to find larger groups of needs. Who would you say is the toughest auto to find, say post WWII, for the Braves?

See a good bit of names I’m missing there haha will have to check my spreadsheet tomorrow.
Of the names I’ve looked up, Carl Sawatski and Gene Mauch are pretty tough to find on a non reprint Braves card. 3x5s are a little more readily available and much cheaper but those are more of a last resort option to me, mostly for the guys who played 1 year or pre WWII. I’m sure there’s tougher ones to find, just haven’t found out who yet since I just started this late last year

BucCollector

Apr 25, 2012
Randolph has that multi rookie card as a Pirate. You just mean it might be tough to find one signed? Does he avoid the RC? I know he doesn't seem to be too common in general (he was a Dodger too at the end).

I'd need either the 76T or the 76 SSPC; haven't seen either signed. He doesn't sign TTM; although I saw on Facebook that someone is working on a private signing.

Who are the toughest Dodgers of the 70s?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
70s toughies...I would say Mike Marshall (P) is near the top, if not the top. Although he has a handful of early 2000s past pack issued certified cards, it was very limited numbers (I think each one was 25 copies or less) and his price point in general is way high due to a rather strict non-signing policy in general as well as a handful of more private signings that averaged around $250 a signature. Its not hard to find Marshall autographs for sale, but if you need something specific signed, good luck.

Some of the others that are a bit harder to find, but not impossible, are Glenn Burke, Sergio Robles *, Eddie Solomon, Bobby Darwin *, Bob O'Brien *, Orlando Alvarez, Enzo Hernandez, Gary Moore *, Terry McDermott *. These guys are all find what you can and not sure if the living guys (*) are just unpopular or just don't sign much.

Also both living, but harder: Ed Goodson (although he is now apparently signing through PastPros for $25 per), Andy Messersmith (stopped signing, but there seems to be a good supply of stuff out there if you are not too picky).

This is mostly due to early deaths or presumed signing habits. The 70s are not a bad era for Dodger signatures actually. None of those listed would be too tough to track down over the course of a month or two if you just needed a signature of any type.

The hardest guy for me just finding a signature I could buy (at any price) was probably Sergio Robles, but since I added one, I have seen at least one private signing offering a variety of items now available.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sorry, did not intend to make this a Buy/Sell/Trade thread (although I do encourage people to strike up deals by using the thread to ID specific team autograph collectors). I need to post this image, as I don't know how via the message system.

IMG_6850.jpg

Members online

Latest posts