Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Why did you guys call him that lol I always admired how hard he played the game even to this day regardless of the steroid use. One of these days I'm going to upload a picture of my 10 year old self wearing my Caminiti shirt as my avatar lol

Ehhh, mostly because we were rooting against him at Wrigley. He struck out a lot, but also hurt us many times. A good player, but when he'd take a big cut and wiff, my friend and I would look at each other and say "Ken KindaSh**ty!" We also joked that he was Todd Helton's evil twin brother.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Lol, nice story. As a major Padres fan, I remember giving Barry Bonds so much sh*t at the games. He killed us so bad.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I'm pretty certain that raw Jeter Diffractors sell for $75, so that auction was a great buy. I definitely missed it in my searches.

Yeah, someone on this thread sometime ago posted a completed sales link for a Jeter Diffractor.$75 sounds about right.I don't know about everyone else, but I always search "Topps Tek".I guess I should include "Topps Diffraction" as well now.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I would agree with this

I wonder how Beckett still is in business selling guides?I only occasionally read them for the articles.My hobby dealer won't even stock them anymore.Says he can't sell them, and gets stuck with them.

A Gwynn traded for a similar Maddux sounds fair to me.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
It all depends on the collector. I traded a Griffey diffractor for two Caminiti diffractors and some base. Everybody but me would say I got the crap end of the deal but I felt like I got the better end of the deal because I COLLECT Caminiti lol People have different perceptions on what a good deal would be for them.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
It all depends on the collector. I traded a Griffey diffractor for two Caminiti diffractors and some base. Everybody but me would say I got the crap end of the deal but I felt like I got the better end of the deal because I COLLECT Caminiti lol People have different perceptions on what a good deal would be for them.

If both parties are happy with the trade that's all that matters.How many base did you get?

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Congrats on finishing the Cammy set. I remember the thrill of finding a Paul O'Neill card# 37 pattern # 56 to FINALLY complete the 8100 card 1998 TEK master set only to find a year later that I had misread the patterns number on a Rolen card that was in my UltraPro set binder and it took 3 months back in 1994 to find another one. ..Congrats...Caminiti, RIP, was a tough competitor and fun loving guy. We enjoyed him in his years with the Astros until he roided up and won the MVP one year I believe with the Padres.

Last edited:

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Congrats on finishing the Cammy set. I remember the thrill of finding a Paul O'Neill card# 37 pattern # 56 to FINALLY complete the 8100 card 1998 TEK master set only to find a year later that I had misread the patterns number on a Rolen card that was in my UltraPro set binder and it took 3 months back in 1994 to find another one. ..Congrats...Caminiti, RIP, was a tough competitor and fun loving guy. We enjoyed him in his years with the Astros until he roided up and won the MVP one year I believe with the Padres.

Caminitti won MVP in '96, and the Padres won the NL West that year.Then they lost in the NLDS.That was the first playoff series I was old enough to see the Cardinals win.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Haha, I was so paranoid about that happening to me so I read every single pattern yesterday on all 90 cards.

P.S. I hate that 90's Cardinals teams lol

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I have found this site to be difficult to make trades on period. While I completed hundreds of trades on The Bench (3 easy ones in past 24 hours). I have done 3 here and dont know if it is because the cards I am interested in chasing to complete sets are late 90s early 2000s cards or because the board messages zip by so fast that posts seem to disappear, or if there is something in the board format that I don't quite understand to make trading easier. In all fairness though the 3 trades were all for some Bowman Chrome 2012 and Topps Chrome 2012 cards....
Most here don't go by book value.A star traded for another comparable star is a fair trade to most here.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I have found this site to be difficult to make trades on period. While I completed hundreds of trades on The Bench (3 easy ones in past 24 hours). I have done 3 here and dont know if it is because the cards I am interested in chasing to complete sets are late 90s early 2000s cards or because the board messages zip by so fast that posts seem to disappear, or if there is something in the board format that I don't quite understand to make trading easier. In all fairness though the 3 trades were all for some Bowman Chrome 2012 and Topps Chrome 2012 cards....

You have very specific wants, that's why it's hard to trade.Do you not collect any players outside of your sets?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

Yea, people have always had an axe to grind with this sites trading activity... it could have a little to do with your thread getting beat down to the bottom of the page very fast due to a large amount of continual threads for specific player, etc. or just people who trade go elsewhere... I don't know... I will tell you going after something as specific as 1998 topps tek singles is very specific... I only get a message about people having Belle cards probably once every other week lol

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Focus 2000 Manias numbered to 300....Focus 2000 Rookie Portrait version....Topps Chrome 2006 Black, Blue, and Red Border Refractors... Topps Turkey Red 2005 White Borders..Ultra 2002 and 2003 Gold Medallions...Bowman Chrome 2012....Topps Chrome 2012....Topps Platinum 2012....1962 Topps...1969 Topps
toga, what other sets are you putting together?

This board in general is just slower with potential traders.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The Bench is really 100% trading with very little discussion and is full of set collectors. There are a lot of small trades over there, shoot I made like 250 trades there last year and 90% of them were below $50 in "book value". Just looking at the first page on the baseball trade board here it goes back a couple of days, so it doesn't seem like a ton of traffic on that part of the site. So it's not really fair to make a comparison between the two sites...each is good but different.

elberson

Sep 13, 2012
Charlotte NC
Extra tek to trade

Williams 7 p-28
Glavine 10 p-46
Biggio 12 p-23
Guerrero 17 p-52
Sheffield 29 p-7 and p-25
A ramirez 31 p-47
Walker 34 p-37
Erstad 35 p-17