Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

the 2011 Winter Classic to be held in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
the Pittsburgh Tribune Review is reporting that the 2011 NHL Winter Classic which will take place on January 1, 2011 will be played in Pittsburgh. the game will be held at Heinz Field as the Penguins will take on the Washington Capitals. the NHL and the NFL have been talking about the possibility of holding the game in Heinz Field since last month and the Steelers have agreed to play their last game of the season on the road clearing any scheduling conflicts.

I would really like to see the game played in PNC Park but Heinz Field holds more fans so the NHL wanted the game played there. which makes sense and I am all for having more tickets available.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_673869.html

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Yeah i heard this earlier. This is HUGE news!!! I can hardly wait till next year now, haha! Ovy Vs. Sid!!! Malkin Vs. Backstrom!! Pens/Caps!!! Marc Andre Fleurys first start at a Winter Classic!!!! That day/game is gonna be sooooooo awesome!! :cool: :D

now i want to forget about this for like 10 months ;) :lol:

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
just read that there is a Canadian Heritage Classic being planned in Calgary for next season as well.

TMacfreak91

Mar 30, 2010
I think the matchup is definitely a good one but I HATE that it's in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh shouldn't be able to play in another Winter Classic for at least 2-4 more years. There are a LOT of other matchups you could do i.e. Stars vs. Wild in Minnesota, Avs vs. San Jose at Mile High etc. It just irks me that the NHL is this desperate to get viewers that they'd repeat teams before a lot of deserving teams even get a chance to play in their first.

Steve

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
TV ratings is the #1 reason the Penguins are playing in the WC again. NBC loves the Pens almost as much as I do.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
the Steelers schedule was released today and they play a home game on Thursday, December 23rd and then a road game on January 2nd freeing up Heinz Field for 2 weeks to prepare the rink on the field.

DISCLAIMER: this is still a rumor and has not been verified by the NHL.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
TMacfreak91 said:
I think the matchup is definitely a good one but I HATE that it's in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh shouldn't be able to play in another Winter Classic for at least 2-4 more years. There are a LOT of other matchups you could do i.e. Stars vs. Wild in Minnesota, Avs vs. San Jose at Mile High etc. It just irks me that the NHL is this desperate to get viewers that they'd repeat teams before a lot of deserving teams even get a chance to play in their first.

Steve

I'm a hockey fan and I couldn't even name 3 players on the Wild. You really think the casual hockey fan who turns on the Stars-Wild game is going to be remotely interested in watching it.....DOUBTFUL!!!

It's all about ratings, and the Pens get the ratings, plain and simple.

I hope it comes here, I'll definitely be going!!!!

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
apparently 2 weeks ago NHL officials were in Pittsburgh photographing and measuring Heinz Field to figure out how to layout the ice. also Reebok was reporting at Heinz Field discussing sponsorship options and ticketing sales have been discussed between the Pens and the NHL.

DISCLAIMER: this is still a rumor and has not been verified by the NHL.

Members online

Latest posts