Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

============ The Morning Thread ============

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Why Saban insists on staying in college football is a mystery to me...

Really? The dude makes over $5 million a season. He's won 3 national titles in 4 seasons. He recruits NFL caliber talent every single year in droves. He's well respected and loved in Alabama. Why would he leave college football? He has absolutely no incentive to do so. So he can go run the Browns or Bills or Eagles farther into the ground and be fired in 2-3 seasons because those teams are already terrible and won't be better anytime soon? What's the incentive in that?

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Really? The dude makes over $5 million a season. He's won 3 national titles in 4 seasons. He recruits NFL caliber talent every single year in droves. He's well respected and loved in Alabama. Why would he leave college football? He has absolutely no incentive to do so. So he can go run the Browns or Bills or Eagles farther into the ground and be fired in 2-3 seasons because those teams are already terrible and won't be better anytime soon? What's the incentive in that?

Yes really. In fact, absolutely and your comments just proved my point even more. He's the best regarded coach in college and it isn't even close he's got the best reputation among players he's coached as well as fans there is not a single individual in NCAA football who is more revered than Saban. He's built a mega-dynasty at Alabama. Oh so it's a guarantee that he'll run those teams into the ground? Yeah, I guess Pete Carroll who wasn't half the coach that Saban is ran the Seahawks into the ground even more right? Saban's got nothing left to prove in college, people won't blink twice if he wins another championship next year. He's achieved in NCAA, and he's failed at his pro stints so it's time for him to prove that he can coach on the biggest stage in sports in the NFL. He's got zero more incentives in NCAA, he won everything, he's gained all the respect and admiration he can gain, so it's time for him to earn his millions in the NFL and prove that he can coach men and not boys. Can't be fun for 4/5ths of the games to be 52-7 or 48-17 score lines. However, if he's motivated by helping boys mature into men on and off the field, which is part of a college coaches job, than that's to be admired but it seems like he's a little hesitant to come back to the pros because he didn't have much success in the past

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

By the way, the Eagles don't have the talent to be a playoff team? Oh, I guess the Bears don't either.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Yes really. In fact, absolutely and your comments just proved my point even more. He's the best regarded coach in college and it isn't even close he's got the best reputation among players he's coached as well as fans there is not a single individual in NCAA football who is more revered than Saban. He's built a mega-dynasty at Alabama. Oh so it's a guarantee that he'll run those teams into the ground? Yeah, I guess Pete Carroll who wasn't half the coach that Saban is ran the Seahawks into the ground even more right? Saban's got nothing left to prove in college, people won't blink twice if he wins another championship next year. He's achieved in NCAA, and he's failed at his pro stints so it's time for him to prove that he can coach on the biggest stage in sports in the NFL. He's got zero more incentives in NCAA, he won everything, he's gained all the respect and admiration he can gain, so it's time for him to earn his millions in the NFL and prove that he can coach men and not boys. Can't be fun for 4/5ths of the games to be 52-7 or 48-17 score lines. However, if he's motivated by helping boys mature into men on and off the field, which is part of a college coaches job, than that's to be admired but it seems like he's a little hesitant to come back to the pros because he didn't have much success in the past

So you come at me with the cliched "he needs to take it to the next level and prove it there" argument. Just like I figured you would. And, my question to you is, why does he need to prove to you or anyone else that he can be successful at the NFL level? Because you want him to? Because you think he should? I'm pretty sure Saban could care less what people like us think about what he should. He's going to do what he feels is best for him and his. If that means staying at Alabama and winning more Championships, then he'll do that. He has nothing to prove to anybody. I seriously don't understand the argument that because he's been so successful at Alabama that he needs to move on and show he can do it elsewhere. Why? Where in any laws or rule books or anything else does it say he needs to do that? Or even should?

And no, he hasn't accomplished everything in college. Bear Bryant still remains ahead of him on the list of coaches with more Championships. So he still has that accolade to go after.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
You mean the Eagles who went 4-12 this season and missed the playoffs? Or the 8-8 Eagles last season who also missed the playoffs?

Poor argument. Unfortunately, a once truly great head coach in Philly did a terrible job for the team the past two years. For a long time he was a great fit there but for whatever reason the Eagles did not play Eagle football the last two years and you can ask any of their fans. Who knows whether or not it had to do with his son, or other things, but they didn't play to their potential or anywhere near it needless to say. With Foles, McCoy, DeSean, Avant, and their defensive stars on the other side of the ball you're plain mistaking if you can't admit they have talent. So the Giants, who finished the season terribly and missed the playoffs have awful talent by your definition

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
So you come at me with the cliched "he needs to take it to the next level and prove it there" argument. Just like I figured you would. And, my question to you is, why does he need to prove to you or anyone else that he can be successful at the NFL level? Because you want him to? Because you think he should? I'm pretty sure Saban could care less what people like us think about what he should. He's going to do what he feels is best for him and his. If that means staying at Alabama and winning more Championships, then he'll do that. He has nothing to prove to anybody. I seriously don't understand the argument that because he's been so successful at Alabama that he needs to move on and show he can do it elsewhere. Why? Where in any laws or rule books or anything else does it say he needs to do that? Or even should?

And no, he hasn't accomplished everything in college. Bear Bryant still remains ahead of him on the list of coaches with more Championships. So he still has that accolade to go after.

??? Where to begin. It's not in any 'rule book'. Coaches are intrinsically motivated to succeed at the highest level, you don't start your career as a head coach with your dream to coach in college, you dream of coaching in the NFL. Look at the VAST MAJORITY of successful college coaches. NEARLY ALL have had NFL stints, some successful, many not successful but they've all wanted to test themselves and transition to that level. Saban is no different however when he was in the pros he failed which is why he went back to the NCAA, and did one hell of a job revitalizing his career. Sure he can sit at Alabama and win multiple more championships and break accolades etc, but I can without a shred of doubt bet that if you asked him, would you rather surpass Bryant or lead a team to a Lombardi trophy he'd answer the latter. Perhaps he wants to retire early, he's in his early 60s maybe he doesn't want the challenge of building a team for a couple years to then give them a chance to make a run in the postseason. But if you've read anything about Saban he's always up for new challenges and always wanting to succeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts