Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Strasburg Superfractor Saga Takes a Razor Twist!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
shepsspot said:
Jeff N. said:
shepsspot said:
http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/California/[/url]

Pay close attention to Penal Code Sec. 319.3.

I am not a lawyer, but from what I read that he would just be guilty of a misdemeanor. I am assuming that is like a slap on the wrist, correct?

And if I am right, I am also assuming that with the money he is throwing around for cards, he is not really going to be threatened by a misdemeanor.

Again I am not a lawyer and may have read that wrong.

Shep

In my opinion, it would be enough to get the product pulled. In my opinion, the misdemeanor is irrelevant, it's the fact that the product is illegal to be sold.

However, in reality, even if my opinion is correct, California has much more important things to do than bother with a nobody like this. Still, though, is it appropriate to do something illegal just because you can get away with it?

Again, I'm not an expert in California law and it's only my opinion, but this certainly looks like a grab bag.

Sure it looks like a grab bag like you have been saying since he started doing this. And also California has way more important things to do than go after this guy for repacking sports cards. If they go after him for this then I would assume they are going to go after people that dont come to a complete stop at stop signs, j-walkers, and lame stuff like that.

I also dont really agree with what he is doing and if no one is going to stop him and if others are going to buy this Shop at Home product(because this is really what it come down to), really what can you do?

Shep[/quote:3ixypnsi]

Jeff, that's the same as just about every other state.

You've basically just got to remove consideration from the equation and call it a day. That's why I look forward to the NPN on this product.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Crash Davis":16b6te5q]
miguelcabrera said:
why not start an fcb grading company or price guide? whats stopping you? seems like a good idea to me

You obviously have no idea how much time and money it would take to start one, or both.

Additionally, Beckett will never go away. People are delusional to think that will happen. While it's true that print publications may go the way of the black-and-white television years into the future, right now, and in the forseeable future, that will not happen.

Beckett moves hundreds of thousands of magazines per month. They have been in this game before most of you were born. As much as I am not a fan of their website, there's no denying the fact that without Beckett, this hobby (and this FCB website we post on) wouldn't exist.

I respectfully disagree. Beckett put a number of companies out of business. CCP (Current Card Prices) went out of business because of Beckett. The fine publishers of ... damn, I forgot the name of it, but it was a REALLY hi-end slick color baseball card magazine published in the early 90s... Collector's Sportlsook? and of course Krause Publications with Baseball Cards Magazine and Sports Collector's Digest, and Tuff Stuff, ALL could have picked up the ball and run with it had Beckett not done so.

Just because Beckett did something and changed the market doesn't mean that another company couldn't have done it better.

They will be out of business. Eventually. I have to believe their main source of revenue now is BGS, but as their printed media sales drop, their advertising revenue will drop as well. Frankly, I am surprised it's still utilized today.[/quote:16b6te5q]

Appreciate your point of view, Jeff; however, all of the publications you mentioned failed to change with the times, and were a by-product of the card collecting boom of the 1980s-early 1990s. SCD is really the only pioneer publication out of the group you mentioned, and it's still around in a much more toned-down fashion. I can vividly remember stalking the mailman every Tuesday for my weekly SCD to be delivered. That was 25 years ago.

Again, to my point. Beckett will not go out of business. There will always be a market for a hobby print publication. Beckett has that niche market cornered. They are the biggest name in the hobby media. I know it's a small pool from which to choose, but it's true. Their Publisher writes hobby-related articles for ESPN. Nobody came breaking down any of our doors to cover the hobby for them. They went to Beckett, the most well-known hobby source in the world.

I know that many of you are disillusioned with them for many reasons. Whether it be the fact that they pull some ridiculous cards out of their sample boxes, or the shirts that Hackler wears during the breaks - the fact remains that they are the most well-known hobby source in the world. There's no denying that.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
cgilmo said:
Beckett isn't going anywhere and they shouldn't. The company as a whole is important for the success of the industry and the hobby.

I fundamentally agree with this logic. It's no different than the importance of McDonalds in the fastfood industry. Just because McDonalds doesn't create the best hamburgers, doesn't mean they should be dismissed or go under. Their advertising budget alone benefits the entire industry not just themselves. Someone who's never had a hamburger before will certainly grab a Big-Mac before realizing that *insert chain here* makes better burgers.

A company should be viewed by what it contributes to the health of an industry not how tasty their burgers are.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Sounds like a great idea. Depending on what the final C/L looks like, I will definitely be picking some of this up.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Crash Davis":t6hoohy3]
miguelcabrera said:
why not start an fcb grading company or price guide? whats stopping you? seems like a good idea to me

You obviously have no idea how much time and money it would take to start one, or both.

Additionally, Beckett will never go away. People are delusional to think that will happen. While it's true that print publications may go the way of the black-and-white television years into the future, right now, and in the forseeable future, that will not happen.

Beckett moves hundreds of thousands of magazines per month. They have been in this game before most of you were born. As much as I am not a fan of their website, there's no denying the fact that without Beckett, this hobby (and this FCB website we post on) wouldn't exist.

I respectfully disagree. Beckett put a number of companies out of business. CCP (Current Card Prices) went out of business because of Beckett. The fine publishers of ... damn, I forgot the name of it, but it was a REALLY hi-end slick color baseball card magazine published in the early 90s... Collector's Sportlsook? and of course Krause Publications with Baseball Cards Magazine and Sports Collector's Digest, and Tuff Stuff, ALL could have picked up the ball and run with it had Beckett not done so.

Just because Beckett did something and changed the market doesn't mean that another company couldn't have done it better.

They will be out of business. Eventually. I have to believe their main source of revenue now is BGS, but as their printed media sales drop, their advertising revenue will drop as well. Frankly, I am surprised it's still utilized today.[/quote:t6hoohy3]

I find it comical how you know absolutely nothing about a company's finances, subscriptions, costs, etc. yet you throw out these ridiculous statements. And what kind of vague prediction is "eventually"? If you're so confident that they'll go out of business then put a date on it. Can't the word "eventually" include pretty much any time frame? It's been obvious for a long time that you're anti-Beckett so there's no question your bias is influencing your statements. Even the other people on here that don't like Beckett don't throw out these crazy "they're going out of business" statements.

Back to the original topic, I love this product. It will be out of my price range, but it's a cool idea regardless.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Crash Davis said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3fqgy85k][quote="Crash Davis":3fqgy85k]
miguelcabrera said:

They will be out of business. Eventually. I have to believe their main source of revenue now is BGS, but as their printed media sales drop, their advertising revenue will drop as well. Frankly, I am surprised it's still utilized today.[/quote:3fqgy85k]

Appreciate your point of view, Jeff; however, all of the publications you mentioned failed to change with the times, and were a by-product of the card collecting boom of the 1980s-early 1990s. SCD is really the only pioneer publication out of the group you mentioned, and it's still around in a much more toned-down fashion. I can vividly remember stalking the mailman every Tuesday for my weekly SCD to be delivered. That was 25 years ago.

Again, to my point. Beckett will not go out of business. There will always be a market for a hobby print publication. Beckett has that niche market cornered. They are the biggest name in the hobby media. I know it's a small pool from which to choose, but it's true. Their Publisher writes hobby-related articles for ESPN. Nobody came breaking down any of our doors to cover the hobby for them. They went to Beckett, the most well-known hobby source in the world.

I know that many of you are disillusioned with them for many reasons. Whether it be the fact that they pull some ridiculous cards out of their sample boxes, or the shirts that Hackler wears during the breaks - the fact remains that they are the most well-known hobby source in the world. There's no denying that.[/quote:3fqgy85k]

It's not a matter of not changing with the times -- Beckett was first. They were there and established the relationships with Topps, Fleer, UD, Donruss, Pinnacle, Action Packed, and all of the other manufacturers. They got the scoop, and, again, because they're there first, they have the brand loyalty. It certainly wasn't because they're better.

Certainly, when ESPN needs a baseball card article, the ESPN editors go to a magazine of their youth, Beckett, and get Olds to write them a finely crafted article. :? They are name most closely associated with this hobby, at this point. Again, I hope it changes.

And I'm certainly not denying that right now, they're the most well-known hobby source in the world. I hope that changes at some point, but I have my doubts, until the print magazine goes under. I'm really not out in the real world - BM stores & shows - so I don't know how much of the magazine is used/printed/sold. I can only hope not much.

BTW, I used to look forward to my weekly either super-thick SCD or ultra-big paged SCD 25 years ago as well. :)

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
WJCIII said:
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Crash Davis":2co90y5u]
miguelcabrera said:

They will be out of business. Eventually. I have to believe their main source of revenue now is BGS, but as their printed media sales drop, their advertising revenue will drop as well. Frankly, I am surprised it's still utilized today.

I find it comical how you know absolutely nothing about a company's finances, subscriptions, costs, etc. yet you throw out these ridiculous statements. And what kind of vague prediction is "eventually"? If you're so confident that they'll go out of business then put a date on it. Can't the word "eventually" include pretty much any time frame? It's been obvious for a long time that you're anti-Beckett so there's no question your bias is influencing your statements. Even the other people on here that don't like Beckett don't throw out these crazy "they're going out of business" statements.

Back to the original topic, I love this product. It will be out of my price range, but it's a cool idea regardless.[/quote:2co90y5u]

They'll be out of business by July 15th, 2020. Happy?

I didn't know speculation was not allowed on this board. I didn't say they're currently going out of business. But it's obvious that sales are down and as such, advertising is down, ESPECIALLY given the fact that there are less companies producing cards that will advertise! Print is a dying medium, and given that the advertiser base is drying up, it doesn't take much to put 2 and 2 together and come up with4.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":1z5dgxaw]Sounds like a great idea. Depending on what the final C/L looks like, I will definitely be picking some of this up.

If history is an indication, there won't be a final checklist.[/quote:1z5dgxaw]

Back to your original claims of illegality: that's illegal, especially if the cards weren't produced by razor. You can skirt the law if you're manufacturing baseball cards but the redistribution under first-sale would all but necessitate a full checklist.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
pigskincardboard said:
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":3agnalgn]Sounds like a great idea. Depending on what the final C/L looks like, I will definitely be picking some of this up.

If history is an indication, there won't be a final checklist.

Back to your original claims of illegality: that's illegal, especially if the cards weren't produced by razor. You can skirt the law if you're manufacturing baseball cards but the redistribution under first-sale would all but necessitate a full checklist.[/quote:3agnalgn]

Other than the Presidential Cut set -- and I don't know about the other cut sets, but I know the Presidential Cut set DID have a checklist -- I don't think ANY of the Razor repackaged sets had a checklist.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Jeff N. said:
WJCIII said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3o2i9kib][quote="Crash Davis":3o2i9kib]
miguelcabrera said:

They will be out of business. Eventually. I have to believe their main source of revenue now is BGS, but as their printed media sales drop, their advertising revenue will drop as well. Frankly, I am surprised it's still utilized today.

Back to the original topic, I love this product. It will be out of my price range, but it's a cool idea regardless.[/quote:3o2i9kib]

They'll be out of business by July 15th, 2020. Happy?

I didn't know speculation was not allowed on this board. I didn't say they're currently going out of business. But it's obvious that sales are down and as such, advertising is down, ESPECIALLY given the fact that there are less companies producing cards that will advertise! Print is a dying medium, and given that the advertiser base is drying up, it doesn't take much to put 2 and 2 together and come up with4.[/quote:3o2i9kib]

Again, how do you know sales are down? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just really interested to know where you're coming up with your information.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Crash Davis":3swwzzwx][quote="Jeff N.":3swwzzwx][quote="Crash Davis":3swwzzwx]
miguelcabrera said:

They will be out of business. Eventually. I have to believe their main source of revenue now is BGS, but as their printed media sales drop, their advertising revenue will drop as well. Frankly, I am surprised it's still utilized today.[/quote:3swwzzwx]

I know that many of you are disillusioned with them for many reasons. Whether it be the fact that they pull some ridiculous cards out of their sample boxes, or the shirts that Hackler wears during the breaks - the fact remains that they are the most well-known hobby source in the world. There's no denying that.[/quote:3swwzzwx]

It's not a matter of not changing with the times -- Beckett was first. They were there and established the relationships with Topps, Fleer, UD, Donruss, Pinnacle, Action Packed, and all of the other manufacturers. They got the scoop, and, again, because they're there first, they have the brand loyalty. It certainly wasn't because they're better.

Certainly, when ESPN needs a baseball card article, the ESPN editors go to a magazine of their youth, Beckett, and get Olds to write them a finely crafted article. :? They are name most closely associated with this hobby, at this point. Again, I hope it changes.

And I'm certainly not denying that right now, they're the most well-known hobby source in the world. I hope that changes at some point, but I have my doubts, until the print magazine goes under. I'm really not out in the real world - BM stores & shows - so I don't know how much of the magazine is used/printed/sold. I can only hope not much.

BTW, I used to look forward to my weekly either super-thick SCD or ultra-big paged SCD 25 years ago as well. :)[/quote:3swwzzwx]

Jeff - Beckett wasn't first. They weren't even second. They were more like third or fourth.

SCD is the longest-standing hobby publication. Their first issue came out in 1972, I believe. I have some of the earlier issues which I pick up and read from time-to-time. It's really incredible how much this hobby has evolved. Back then, people used to take out classifieds to trade cards in order to complete their sets. Tobacco cards were a buck for stars. Mantles were a few dollars. I can go on and on.

Beckett has evolved into THE hobby player whether by default, in whole or in part, or simply because they put out the most convenient product. You slap down your $6.95 (or whatever it costs) and you get all of your hobby news in one sitting. There is a much smaller population of collectors who demand real-time information about their hobby. Those who do come here. Those who don't buy Beckett. Same goes for Wizard Magazine for comics and collectible action figures.

Sadly, so many of the magazines you mentioned were spectacular and are no longer with us. One of the major issues was that Krause got greedy and printed six or seven monthlys that covered essentially the same thing, when all they really needed to do was put out one per sport, like Beckett did. Collector's Sportslook was spectacular, but the hobby wasn't ready for a sportscard magazine put out by a bunch of comic book geeks. The style of the magazine was spot on. It was ahead of its time. It failed because of it. It was all color. It was edgy.

Anyway, as time goes on the need for Beckett may wane somewhat, but it will always be at the forefront of the hobby.

And as for ESPN, I was referring to Tracy Hackler and not Chris Olds. I don't know Olds from a hole in the wall, but I do find him a bit overbearing in a Chris Farley type of way.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Jeff N. said:
pigskincardboard said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3g6or3a6][quote="Jays_Cards":3g6or3a6]Sounds like a great idea. Depending on what the final C/L looks like, I will definitely be picking some of this up.

If history is an indication, there won't be a final checklist.

Back to your original claims of illegality: that's illegal, especially if the cards weren't produced by razor. You can skirt the law if you're manufacturing baseball cards but the redistribution under first-sale would all but necessitate a full checklist.[/quote:3g6or3a6]

Other than the Presidential Cut set -- and I don't know about the other cut sets, but I know the Presidential Cut set DID have a checklist -- I don't think ANY of the Razor repackaged sets had a checklist.[/quote:3g6or3a6]

You're the one who lives in Florida. Their sweepstakes law is behind only New York when it comes to downright craziness. That's why despite being based in New York, Topps runs almost all of their *contests* out of Pennsylvania.

I've said this before about certain Razor products, but they're walking a very fine line.

vetsgt02

Oct 7, 2008
Trona, CA
shepsspot said:
vetsgt02 said:
cgilmo said:
We do compete with Beckett on the online information side. This is very clear from my perspective and the people at Beckett would probably say the same.

However over the past year or so it has evolved into more of a friendly competition.[/quote]

I enjoy your tact but as far as I am concerned Beckett could fall of the face of the Earth they are a bunch of hacks that have no clue what the hobby wants or needs and they are not in it for the collectors they are in it for the cash. To me FCB is so far ahead of Beckett it is sick. FCB not only sets it up were collectors can share information but also makes it where we can advertise our ebay auctions and current projects. Last time I was on beckett you could get suspended for mentioning Ebay. You can not tell me your here for the collectors then ban EBAY from conversation love it or hate it Ebay is about 95% of the hobby right now. FCB gets that and Beckett is not only lost but delusional about themselves and our hobby.

*end rant*

Weird, but when I click that view topic thread in your sig, the first three cards I see are graded by Beckett. Guess you are not to sick of them and dont want them to fall off the face of the earth to fast.

They are more than an obsolete message board!

Shep

Did I say they did not provide good grading? There are only 2 options for grading PSA and Beckett while nethier are perfect I like the way the BGS cases look :) Everything else about beckett is garbage

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
vetsgt02 said:
boomo said:
so the 25,000 bid was a fake?
can anyone sum it up?
i hate videos

Basically Razor bought it for 21K and they are going to lump it in a product full of garbage and give some poor bastards false hope. Then when that is done they will be like oh damn we just found this in a old safe we forgot to add it.

You have been thanked.

Desperate times for desperate companies for sure.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
EricInCT said:
vetsgt02 said:
boomo said:
can anyone sum it up?
i hate videos

Basically Razor bought it for 21K and they are going to lump it in a product full of garbage and give some poor bastards false hope. Then when that is done they will be like oh damn we just found this in a old safe we forgot to add it.

You have been thanked.

So the theory is they paid 21k for a card which they will stick in a vault and not try to recoup their money?

and you thanked him for that amazing theory?

:lol:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
phillyfan0417 said:
EricInCT said:
vetsgt02 said:
boomo said:
can anyone sum it up?
i hate videos

You have been thanked.

So the theory is they paid 21k for a card which they will stick in a vault and not try to recoup their money?

and you thanked him for that amazing theory?

:lol:

I think he insinuated that the Strasburg card would not actually be released into the product, keeping the false hope alive throughout the ripping life of the product.

Wasn't there a 52 mantle that was allegedly in their last grab bag product? Was that ever documented that was pulled?

Maybe the OP's theory has some legs.

Members online

Latest posts