Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on 2014 Finest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I bought a box today. I plan on getting inappropriately drunk and filming the break. I'll post it here if I can figure out how to post it online.

Imagine Drunk History crossed with Bob Eucker in Major League. It'll be a ******* disaster

So other then ripping Finest, it's the usual.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I really like the look of the Greats inserts, as many others do. But, I can't stand the rest of the set, I think all those colors are ugly as heck. Won't be picking anything up unless it's super cheap.

Sure wish Topps would balance Randy Johnson in both a Mariners and D-backs uniform, I'd love that Greats card. Oh well, I guess I save money.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
heres the deal guys

this is exactly what collectors told topps to do. They should get a metric ton of credit for making this set and even more if they can sustain it.

Agreed. Tough to be upset that the autos are almost all on card, there is a strong auto checklist, there are nice rookies, and the inserts look great. One could quibble with the base design, but it seems like a modern take on the busy designs of the first few years of Finest. I like it. Seems like Topps' version of what UD has done with their Metal Retro sets. Finest stepped forward last year with the 1993 reprints. This year, it is a legit contender for product of the year.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
One thing I don't understand is why Springer and Polanco autos are base chrome, yet every other player is a refractor

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I think the auto checklist is great. Promising rookies, current and past stars and even some HOF guys. Designs are solid. It appears that the only redemptions are the Mystery ones, which need to be redemptions by definition.

Price point is still a little high per box (IMHO), but all around a very solid release. Given the auto checklist, I think sealed boxes will likely hold value pretty well also.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
With more time gone by since product started listing on eBay , I took another look at the Greats Autos. It seems that each player was made in only certain versions for some reason. Here is what I have seen, I didn't look at the 1/1s and some more of the /5 could pop etc but here is the rundown as of now... Only the Golds /50 have every player represented , which stinks because the color patterns would look better on some players w missing versions

Bo - only Blue /125 and Gold /50 have been listed. No Black /99, XFractor /149 , Red /25 etc

Banks - Has everything but XFractor /149

Griffey - Only Red /25 and Gold /50

Brock - Has XFractor /149, Gold /50, Red /25

McGwire - Same as Griffey (Saw a mock up pic of the Blue)

Rivera - Gold /50 , Red /25, Black /99, XFractor /149 . No Blue /125

Schmidt - Has Black /99, Red /25, Gold /50 and Blue /125. No XFractor /149

Ozzie - Has all except XFractor /149

Randy - Only Gold /50, Red /25 and Atomic /5

Yount - Has Black /99 , Gold /50, XF /149 and Atomic /5. No Blue or Red

Carlton - Has everything except XFractor

Koufax - Has Black /99, Gold /50 and Ref /25 . No Blue or XFractor

If you see any versions that is different than this list , please post. I think they should have condensed the versions and had comets runs for each player in those versions. Like a Blue, Gold and Atomic of each , scrap the rest

Thanks
Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not sure why they hacked it all up only giving certain players certain types of parallels. But from what I've seen, all of the cards look very solid. It's all very nice looking. It's better than a lot of the junk topps puts out. I know a lot of folks gripe about everything, but I'll gladly buy a few singles of this. I think between this and the five star on card autos, topps is starting to put out some decent looking stuff that's not killing my wallet.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I was hoping to grab a box at the LCS but he was out. He's getting some on Wednesday but that doesn't do me any good since he's about 90 miles away from me. The guy that bought his entire case was in the shop at the same time and showed me some of his hits. He had a couple of springer autos, one being an xfractor, then there was a Jose abreu gold refractor insert, a gold randy Johnson auto, and then he pulled out a masahiro tanaka atomic refractor /5

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
With more time gone by since product started listing on eBay , I took another look at the Greats Autos. It seems that each player was made in only certain versions for some reason. Here is what I have seen, I didn't look at the 1/1s and some more of the /5 could pop etc but here is the rundown as of now... Only the Golds /50 have every player represented , which stinks because the color patterns would look better on some players w missing versions

Bo - only Blue /125 and Gold /50 have been listed. No Black /99, XFractor /149 , Red /25 etc

Banks - Has everything but XFractor /149

Griffey - Only Red /25 and Gold /50

Brock - Has XFractor /149, Gold /50, Red /25

McGwire - Same as Griffey (Saw a mock up pic of the Blue)

Rivera - Gold /50 , Red /25, Black /99, XFractor /149 . No Blue /125

Schmidt - Has Black /99, Red /25, Gold /50 and Blue /125. No XFractor /149

Ozzie - Has all except XFractor /149

Randy - Only Gold /50, Red /25 and Atomic /5

Yount - Has Black /99 , Gold /50, XF /149 and Atomic /5. No Blue or Red

Carlton - Has everything except XFractor

Koufax - Has Black /99, Gold /50 and Ref /25 . No Blue or XFractor

If you see any versions that is different than this list , please post. I think they should have condensed the versions and had comets runs for each player in those versions. Like a Blue, Gold and Atomic of each , scrap the rest

Thanks
Ryan

Nice work - I agree with everything you said as well, doesn't make sense to list so many variations if not every player has them, makes more sense to have a base pattern with assorted print runs & let the low #d colors be universal. Would have been nice to snag an RJ X-Fractor as I like the design best of all the options. Already got my Gold /50 & I avoid doing rainbows of autos since they're so pricey. But should I come across the superfractor, let's go :)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Weird. Wonder if it had anything to do with actively limiting redemptions. Cost per player may be a factor as well. Like they contracted for blank# of autos and just sent the greats the parallels that added up to that #? Either way, it beats the hell out of redemptions.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I have to question the base card design when opening the product. It is a little loud but all in all, not TOO bad. The on card autographs is a huge plus and opening a box and not having to worry about pulling a damn redemption is a HUGE plus in my book. I really like the old Finest Sterling and Competitors inserts. The only real negative I have is the differentiation of the refractors. Its kinda hard to tell just what color you have. If you don't know the color based on the serial numbering, then its gonna be a head scratcher.

My favorite thing is the Greats autos. The player selection is top notch as well. I have to give Topps 4 out of 5 stars for it.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I've seen a little more since I commented (mainly the Competitors insert set, which I'd somehow skipped over the first time) and I like it a lot better now. Still can't get behind those base cards, but most of the Insert sets are really nice.

Members online

Latest posts