Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Today is the 25th Anniversary of Pete Rose's lifetime ban. Should he be reinstated?

Should Pete Rose be reinstated to MLB and put on the HOF ballot?

• Yes

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I voted yes. I personally don't care for Rose the person, but he was one helluva ballplayer. I also don't care that he bet on baseball or whether or not he only bet on the Reds to win. We all know that players are not voted for enshrinement base on their choirboy status, but as either elite players or managers. As a player, he qualifies as a first-ballot guy. Eventually they're going to have to let the steroids-era guys in, too - I think they did more damage to the game than Rose ever could have done.

So, you consider a manager that helps his team lose the same as a player who tries to help his team win?

Because that's pretty much your logic there

guyjones10

Jan 19, 2014
Should be reinstated without a shadow of a doubt. His gambling never helped him improve or alter his stats. His gambling habits should have never resulted in a ban from baseball. Unlike anyone tied to steroids, which they should be ban. Pete definitely deserve to be in the hall of fame.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
So, you consider a manager that helps his team lose the same as a player who tries to help his team win?

Because that's pretty much your logic there
I knew that statement might go over like a turd in a punchbowl. I guess the overall point I was trying to make is that he merits enshrinement based on his accomplishments as a ballplayer. What he did as a manager should (in my opinion) have zero weight in the matter.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I guess the overall point I was trying to make is that he merits enshrinement based on his accomplishments as a ballplayer. What he did as a manager should (in my opinion) have zero weight in the matter.
I agree.
If Ryne Sandberg bets on baseball now as Cubs manager, they're not kicking him out of the Hall of Fame as a player.

And there was never any evidence from gambling stubs or other documents that show Rose bet against his team. It was always for his team to win.
It's still against the rules, but I believe his crazy intense desire to win at all costs prevented him from even thinking about being a traitor to his own team.

Regardless, Rose's ban for actions he made as a manager should have no bearing on his accomplishments as a player.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
No.

I don't think he should.

What he did is far worse than what any player who took PED's did.

What Rose did probably affected the results of the game, no matter what he says. He was the manager and could easily throw a game to suit his gambling purposes.

Taking steroids was cheating as well, but it was pure chance if you were the player who determined the outcome of the game.

I don't ever see the HOF letting the Black Sox in. So why is Rose different?

He broke the Cardinal sin of baseball.

It would be different if he were actually contrite, but he is a scumbag of a human being who garners absolutely zero sympathy or empathy from anyone.

As far as I'm concerned they should keep him out forever. Especially if they're going to have such a strong stance of keeping other cheaters with worthy stats out. I don't care if he's the all-time hit king.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
And to add to that, if it were Alex Rodriguez who was caught gambling on games in the last couple years of his career, instead of using PED's, would many of you still be calling for him to be inducted into the HOF?

I think not.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And to add to that, if it were Alex Rodriguez who was caught gambling on games in the last couple years of his career, instead of using PED's, would many of you still be calling for him to be inducted into the HOF?
Rose was banned for what he did after his playing career. His Hall of Fame candidacy has nothing to do with what he did as manager. Just like any other Hall of Famer who became a manager.

It was the timing of the ban (a couple of years before he was eligible for the HOF) that made this a big deal.
Had Rose been banned a few years later as manager, he'd be in the HOF and no one would care that he was banned as manager.

Also, Commissioner Giamatti, and later Commissioner Fay Vincent, said that Rose would have only been banned for a few years if he would have just confessed.
Rose is being punished more for being a lying, stubborn ******* than for what he actually did.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Rose was banned for what he did after his playing career. His Hall of Fame candidacy has nothing to do with what he did as manager. Just like any other Hall of Famer who became a manager.

It was the timing of the ban (a couple of years before he was eligible for the HOF) that made this a big deal.
Had Rose been banned a few years later as manager, he'd be in the HOF and no one would care that he was banned as manager.

Also, Commissioner Giamatti, and later Commissioner Fay Vincent, said that Rose would have only been banned for a few years if he would have just confessed.
Rose is being punished more for being a lying, stubborn ******* than for what he actually did.

Do the crime, do the time.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
This is another way to look at it. Guys like Lasorda, LaRussa, Torre and Bobby Cox don't sniff the HOF as players, but are there because of their second careers as managers. Rose easily earned his way there as a player, and should be admitted based on that alone.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
PEDs to ruin records and manipulate game after game after game in your career versus someone gambling on the game? So you're saying he always bet against his team and threw the game? We're the players in on it?!

I don't know. PEDs for me are worse without over analyzing it.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
PEDs to ruin records and manipulate game after game after game in your career versus someone gambling on the game? So you're saying he always bet against his team and threw the game? We're the players in on it?!

I don't know. PEDs for me are worse without over analyzing it.

I honestly think gambling while active in the game is worse. Especially if you have the ability to determine the outcome of a game.

If a referee were caught gambling on the sport he officiated, does anyone think he would ever be inducted into any Hall?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
The player/manager argument doesn't matter to me.

If Tom Brady went and shot someone in the head today, he would never be inducted into his HOF. Even though he is a sure first ballot guy as a player.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I honestly think gambling while active in the game is worse. Especially if you have the ability to determine the outcome of a game.

If a referee were caught gambling on the sport he officiated, does anyone think he would ever be inducted into any Hall?

Explain to me how a manager can single handily make all 9 innings of a baseball game go his way without his players knowing?! Especially game after game.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Explain to me how a manager can single handily make all 9 innings of a baseball game go his way without his players knowing?! Especially game after game.

Hell, Mike Matheny could have been doing it all season long this year.

It could easily happen.

What's a player going to do who does suspect something? Say something publicly? Go to the manager or owner and confront them?

It doesn't have to be game after game.

The manager could throw three games on purpose throughout the season and win big, for several years, without anyone knowing. All he would have to do is make the wrong calls at the wrong time and it work out for him and nobody would be the wiser.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
The player/manager argument doesn't matter to me.

If Tom Brady went and shot someone in the head today, he would never be inducted into his HOF. Even though he is a sure first ballot guy as a player.
You're equating Rose's gambling in his 2nd career as a manager to Tom Brady hypothetically committing murder? That's one of the worst analogies I've ever seen.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I would like to know as well.

The only major stain is from roids.

This is one man that had/has a gambling addiction. Baseball doesn't even get a blemish out of the deal.

One could argue that "The Crypt Keeper" (Selig) has done more damage to baseball by instituting some of the dumbest rules in professional sports, than anything Pete ever did.

Imagine if Adam Silver gave the No. 1 overall pick to the team who had a player win the Slam Dunk title.

Latest posts