Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Oh, this came in yesterday.

jr850_zpspmbealqz.jpg

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I think this is the same "parallel" of the /5 for Ruth. I can't tell if this following card has the same color of logo as it looks gold and the patch looks bronze. If they are the same, this might help "prove" that this /5 run is devoted to prime pieces:

2002 Leaf Certified Babe Ruth "Genuine Button Hole" Jersey Card "1st One Made" | eBay
$_57.JPG

Good catch, but I personally can't even tell which #/5 parallel this is from. I know there is a #/5 Gehrig that might be all button holes in this same set based on what IndyFan had shown. The Ruth looks good to me it's just that I'm in the same ballpark as christensen and have never seen the #/5 from this series be a number patch so I'm still not completely sure.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I think this is the same "parallel" of the /5 for Ruth. I can't tell if this following card has the same color of logo as it looks gold and the patch looks bronze. If they are the same, this might help "prove" that this /5 run is devoted to prime pieces:

2002 Leaf Certified Babe Ruth "Genuine Button Hole" Jersey Card "1st One Made" | eBay
$_57.JPG

The problem is the seller of that Ruth has had some cards that are or have been suspect as to being fake so in essence that isn't a good link to use as a result, lol.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I have messaged 2 big time hof patch collectors ( yes there are other guys like christenson, lol, they just don't frequent this message board) and they both think that the Ruth is altered. With one specifically saying they ripped a ton of this stuff in 2002 and not one patch came out of all the stuff he ripped. The other says he thinks all the patches popping up are fake :eek: and is skeptical of all of them. He has followed the set since its release.

Here is what I have come up with. It's 50/50 as half the people think these are legit half don't. I know 2/5 gold version of this Ruth had a sliver of this same type of patch and most people deemed it not real and or altered but keep in mind we had not seen another Ruth patch from that set until now. I myself am torn and am leaning towards the Ruth actually being legit but here is the problem, the current seller has had just as many non legit patches including some that are up now so I think that is more or less leading to much of the skeptizm and why people are weary and or think the Ruth is not legit. I was going to go after the Ted Williams as its his jersey number and maybe one other but now probably not. It's one thing to question and another to be completely torn, which I am. I recommend that anyone looking for their 1st Ruth patch not try and go after this one as not enough info to go by to 100% solidify its legitimacy. This one may be more suited for deep pocket guys like christensen whom can take a 2-3000 dollar hit should this card not be legit. Thats just my take on it. My patch collection will be just fine not owning any other these cards that are up.

Last edited:

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
And I actually think this set has legit patches in it. When I researched it seemed like the Gold version /5 with the writing below the logo had legit patches where others dint. I actually think the /5 gold with patches are all legit. I just hate having to question a whole set.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
And if anyone is familiar with 2001, 2002 and 2003 leaf certifed they will know these cards can be split in half and put back together without it looking odd as they were not well put together to begin with.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
And I actually think this set has legit patches in it. When I researched it seemed like the Gold version /5 with the writing below the logo had legit patches where others dint. I actually think the /5 gold with patches are all legit. I just hate having to question a whole set.

I think the button hole I posted is a decent one to go off of. It is gold /5 based off of the scan, and I bet can be traced confidently to be real. Does that mean the other 4 golds /5 are prime? And by prime does that mean just button hole or air hole? I do think it is slightly fishy that looking at prior threads/posts/sales that not a single Ruth patch is shown for this 2002 set /5, and it is odd to me that we can't find anything on this patch at all as you would think it would have been shown off somewhere down the line. The owner of the button hole has a TON of Babe Ruth memorabilia cards for sale, maybe send him a question on the buttonhole card to see if he is willing to shed any light he/she might have in regards to that set.

Also, the patch card logo looks bronze. I can't find anywhere that there was a bronze version (as we all know there is a gold version). Does that mean that the logo is actually regular/rainbow and the seller specifically took a picture with the lighting to give it a gold look? Too tough to tell. The patch auction has scans of the back too (which doesn't confirm/deny anything). It is too bad that Leaf didn't put prime or patch on these cards. It is great having amazing terminology on the game used stuff, but too bad it wasn't set up like 2005 Absolute or something.

Members online