Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Thank you so much Alex, your becoming a better detective than I am, lol. I searched for the auction for ever and couldn't find it. Now to find out who 36 is. It's either Santiago Guzman or Orlando Pena as those were the only 2 players in the 70s that wore 36 that were not white. This assuming that some whites still had issue with sharing with blacks.

I think I just photo matched the 2008 Topps Sterling bat barrel to the same bat from the auction that your knob is from. I haven't taken a look to see how many barrels/knob cards Gibson has, but if it is just these two then I think it is safe to say it is from the same bat (and equally pretty damn rare!):

Auction: http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/lot-17969.aspx

Barrel photo close up from the auction:
20_4546D_lg.jpeg

Scan of the 2008 Topps Sterling bat barrel 1/1:
2244a_lg.jpeg

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Good work Alex !

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! I am close to being stumped on finding anything in regards to the Rod Carew bat knob with the red marker 10 or 01 or 0 with a line under it (a few ways I have been trying to search along with everything else game used bat/panama wise) and just can't find anything yet. Hoping to find something before the auction ends in hopes to give any confidence that might not be there to anyone here who is deciding if they want to bid or not.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
The most "prime" Dizzy Dean you're likely to find is a button/airhole.

Haven't seen any myself, but there was a thread here a few years back questioning if what Upper Deck had was either fake, or was player issued but was proven not to have had a chance to be worn by Dean until after he was done playing with the Cardinals. This link shows the chat about it, nothing was confirmed. But, if there are any to be found, chances are it is not game used simply from the dates the jersey is from and the years Dean played for the Cardinals: http://www.tradingcardcentral.com/forums/?showtopic=37372

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I believe A Pharis is correct, I do not believe aside from airholes there is a prime Dean patch that exists today. Maybe they have some prime material stashed away and we'll get it in a future release, but at the moment like I said I don't think there is one out there. Here's what I got though - got it from a great board member haha

Dean_AHole_Stitches.jpg

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
We all know Dizzy has a majority of glove pieces. If I had the dough and if the auto cut window was larger with a full cut out for the glove piece I would LOVE to own this piece! Probably the closest piece of price you can get currently with the exception of what Homerun just posted:

$_57.JPG

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
p
I would have to disagree with you, unless you know something I dont. This article tells me there is prime stuff out there.

Either the article is bogus or they sold their inventory to private collector or they still have it and have not used it! There is no dizzy dean prime stuff out into cards other than Glove pieces with writing or as someone stated air hole jersey piece. In fact from that article there are no Mickey Mantle button cards ever made.
So to answer your question, no there are not any Dizzy Dean prime stuff out.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
There are no dean prime patches, buttons or tags out there. If the material from upper deck is legit then it is still sitting in their inventory. Though if stuff is legit and ever hits the market it will create a buzz :)

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
p
Either the article is bogus or they sold their inventory to private collector or they still have it and have not used it! There is no dizzy dean prime stuff out into cards other than Glove pieces with writing or as someone stated air hole jersey piece. In fact from that article there are no Mickey Mantle button cards ever made.
So to answer your question, no there are not any Dizzy Dean prime stuff out.

Where are the mantle buttons at? Still in upper deck inventory? Because upper deck did have a legit mantle gamer. Wonder how much more awesome stuff is sitting at upper deck?

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Where are the mantle buttons at? Still in upper deck inventory? Because upper deck did have a legit mantle gamer. Wonder how much more awesome stuff is sitting at upper deck?

Yea boggles my mind, I'm also asking where the Mel Ott buttons are at along with a hand full of other players that have had jersey gamer piece but no buttons or tags. I know some jerseys were the pull over variety.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I think I just photo matched the 2008 Topps Sterling bat barrel to the same bat from the auction that your knob is from. I haven't taken a look to see how many barrels/knob cards Gibson has, but if it is just these two then I think it is safe to say it is from the same bat (and equally pretty damn rare!):

Auction: http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/lot-17969.aspx

Barrel photo close up from the auction:
20_4546D_lg.jpeg

Scan of the 2008 Topps Sterling bat barrel 1/1:
2244a_lg.jpeg

Awesome Alex, I have seen the Gibby bat barrel before. It's awsome to be able to match it up to the same bat.

Also I just don't trust the Carew knob nor the Teddy knob with the red marker as I'm convinced that it's same marker on both knobs.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Here goes nothing - my recent pickups! I'm very unorganized sadly so I may have missed a couple and if I did I'll post them as well ASAP! Thanks SO MUCH as always to the board members who contributed to my collection! Here goes nothing, I'm going to start with the one that isn't very "recent" but one of my favorites in this batch and one I haven't showed off yet except in PM:

IMG_5741_zpsoi5etaxj.jpg

Lower-end stuff - but really didn't have much stuff from these guys and a couple of these are actually my first prime piece of that player

IMG_5739_zpszi1s8jva.jpg

IMG_5740_zpsjni05esu.jpg

IMG_5738_zpspgbhl4qy.jpg

IMG_5749_zpsrq4qonky.jpg

IMG_5747_zpsqrsli549.jpg

Leaf Q stuff! I know the certification/licensing downsides but I just couldn't pass these up at the prices I got them at they are honestly ridiculously cheap relative to similar stuff

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%209.46.20%20PM_zpsysuujxik.png

IMG_5750_zpsdhurqzq3.jpg

IMG_5753_zpsajbj4m1j.jpg

IMG_5754_zpsqmgjocdn.jpg

Some patch autos:

IMG_5745_zpsc2ylrrgv.jpg

IMG_5751_zpsuxzyr367.jpg

IMG_5752_zpsvsgfme9r.jpg

IMG_5756_zpsoritux9o.jpg

IMG_5755_zps0zakzmla.jpg

The rest!

IMG_5748_zpsedggqbai.jpg

IMG_5744_zpstsrmfab1.jpg

IMG_5743_zpsv3ftczgg.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%209.44.28%20PM_zpsii76rz7m.png

IMG_5757_zpseexilurf.jpg

Easily my new favorite Teddy by far, one of my favorite wool patches!

IMG_5759_zpslp5l9gs2.jpg

And last but not least a vintage airhole! I love picking up the vintage one's out there like in the FOTG series, the legendary cuts had some, the very first years of Prime Cuts, etc. Whenever I see the vintage ones as opposed to the newer ones I try to get them this Dimaggio is actually one of my favorites in the lot.

IMG_5742_zpsobcf3okd.jpg

That's all I got guys thanks for looking!

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

What's the point of them still sitting on it. It has value , why not (even years ago) move it to Topps or Panini etc. You think they'd sit on it til Topps Exclusive runs out to see what happens?

Ryan

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Yea boggles my mind, I'm also asking where the Mel Ott buttons are at along with a hand full of other players that have had jersey gamer piece but no buttons or tags. I know some jerseys were the pull over variety.

Where's the Mathewson stuff...where's the Cobb stuff...

I can guarantee they have some stuff sitting somewhere they have to.

Members online