Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Re: OFFICIAL- Vintage Pickup Thread.

I guess I'll never have a PSA9 Big Klu:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

I think that's an eye opener. :shock: I hate to say as well, between the 4 years or so since I decided I wanted to collect Big Klu and now, it seems he's gotten quite a bit more popular. Anyone think that has anything to do with more attention being paid to "greats" of the past because of the "exploits" of today's players?

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

MattinglyAlexander said:

I think that's an eye opener. :shock: I hate to say as well, between the 4 years or so since I decided I wanted to collect Big Klu and now, it seems he's gotten quite a bit more popular. Anyone think that has anything to do with more attention being paid to "greats" of the past because of the "exploits" of today's players?
It seems like Klu has had a big following for some time, as I've had to pay more for a lot of his cards for sets I've put together over the past 10+ years.
Maybe its because he was one of the first to show off his "guns".
DANNY

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota

dano7 said:
MattinglyAlexander said:

It seems like Klu has had a big following for some time, as I've had to pay more for a lot of his cards for sets I've put together over the past 10+ years.
DANNY

I've gotta scan it, but 57 topps is his most memorable card IMO because of the guns. One of my favorite cards in the set due to the fact that it is recognizable. Klu, Clemente, & Mantle/Berra Yanks sluggers are the most iconic cards in the 57 topps set IMO.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN

Yep, I agree, it's an awesome card.
and Dano,
Yeah, he's always had a good following, but the amount people are willing to pay for him seem to have risen quite about. I'm not just talking about a PSA9 either. I see quite a bit of difference overall in what people are paying for Big Klu. I'll just asume you're a long time vintage guy...that's why you aren't shocked at the ending price. ;) :D

wolfmanalfredo said:
dano7 said:
MattinglyAlexander said:

DANNY

I've gotta scan it, but 57 topps is his most memorable card IMO because of the guns. One of my favorite cards in the set due to the fact that it is recognizable. Klu, Clemente, & Mantle/Berra Yanks sluggers are the most iconic cards in the 57 topps set IMO.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

I didn't get in on the Cash For Clunkers money, but I bought a Ford anyways :D
DANNY
54BowmanFordPSA5.jpg

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

r314_1936_goudey_wp_marcum.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

Very nice, Jay! Love the image on that one, the Doerr I have from that set is one of my favorite cards because of the image!

And for those who haven't seen....my 3 most recent additions:

m116thoneyfront.jpg
m116kargerfront.jpg
TSpeaker.jpg

And it now brings me to 7 Red Sox M116 Sporting Lifes :)

m116sig.jpg

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas

8KennyWashington.jpg
29PatHarder.jpg

Kenny Washington and Pat Harder

54JohnSanchez.jpg88BenKish.jpg

John Sanchez and Ben Kish

The count now stands at 27 of 108.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

I guess after buying the 54 Ford, I was lucky to still have enough money to afford a Scooter :lol:
DANNY

54BowmanRizzuto.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

dano7 said:
I guess after buying the 54 Ford, I was lucky to still have enough money to afford a Scooter :lol:
DANNY

54BowmanRizzuto.jpg
:lol:

Great pickups lately, Dan!!!

TBP - VERY nice win!!! I have that Yaz card but no way in hell is it a 7.5! Well done man!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

scotty21690 said:
dano7 said:
TBP - VERY nice win!!! I have that Yaz card but no way in hell is it a 7.5! Well done man!

Thanks Scotty! It was a huge pickup for me because, a) ive never seen one listed. b) it has the mega-sweet-no-longer-made copper flip that i love so much, and c) that finishes off 1960 - 1979 in BVG holders (which
are not all that easy to find do to the lack of popularity of BVG)

and it will look nice with these other copper flips :)

1975ToppsYazBVG7.jpg1976ToppsYazBVG7.jpg1978ToppsYazBVG75.jpg

martincp

Aug 10, 2008

jay1065 said:

Nice looking card Jay - is that graded?

I think this is the 1000th post in this thread - thats a lot of vintage cards :)

Members online

Latest posts