Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you want to see on FCB to make it ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
a place where the regular, everyday posting members will continue to post and new or prospective members will want to get in the mix and feel comfortable in posting & sharing their thoughts and helping FCB grow.

I love to poke, prod & stir the pot, but even I think the last few months have had a BMB circa '06 feel.

As mentioned in previous threads and posts, what is lacking are hobby relevant topics that get the FCB's collective juices flowing. They include the previously mentioned Collector's Spotlight & The Hot List. If instead of constantly brow beating folks for trying to contribute to this great site, maybe we could add something positive or constructively criticize and encourage the poster to have them want to continue to do what they are doing.

I recall that on BMB that the summer months always brought out the worst in folks, usually because of the younger members posting. If they see us, and I mean ALL of us, posting the way we have, nothing will change: now or tomorrow.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Honestly... I don't think anything will help. The damage has been done.

A few mods like to take what little power they have and rule with an iron fist. There are quite a few really great mods on this site... but the few bad apples ruin it.

A_Pharis

You want to see real damage? The same people down-talking the forum in every thread. @P_Manning, if you have legitimate qualms with staff on the forum, you are free to go.

I can tell you that many threads take place on the mod forum talking about how to make things better for everyone here. And actions taken aren't mods going off the deep end - it's all discussed.

Dave is asking about doing something proactive. He's one of the few people willing to make negative observations but actually extend effort into making a difference.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
So we delete posts now? Jon Mead replied to this thread and *poof*... His reply is no longer here.

This is the stuff quite a few people are noticing. Maybe its just a select few who will speak up.... but many people are noticing.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Honestly, I think FCB is not bad at all, rather good actually. It is a comparatively small population of longtime hobbyists, most of whom have known each other for over a decade, and as long as we are clear that we are not here to compete with SCF or BO with regards to sheer volume, then all is well. I think Gilmo has come to terms with the notion that FCB is not going to make anyone rich but rather has committed to simply providing a nice place to talk sports and sports cards. Having said that, there are 5 to 10 members (some longstanding) that are just too rough around the edges. Sure, they break no rules per see, but their overall attitude of condescending, arrogant, and argumentative daily displays do little for the forum and only add daily doses of venom to an otherwise pleasant environment. What would I do? Let these members go and enjoy the sunshine. :)

A_Pharis

So we delete posts now? Jon Mead replied to this thread and *poof*... His reply is no longer here.

This is the stuff quite a few people are noticing. Maybe its just a select few who will speak up.... but many people are noticing.

Jon Mead has been suspended multiple times since joining. From posting obscene pictures to explicitly picking fights and quoting how we should be "more like BO" (where he was banned).

He was here out of courtesy of having no where else to go and adds nothing to the discussion. The things people notice most are users that want to be nothing but negative towards staff, who - once, again - donate their time here. It's really not fun for us to have to make the calls on what stays and what goes, and people are not going to be happy with everything. That's just the way it is. You want to know one thing, though? Dave is attempting to do a GOOD thing with this thread, and you are doing everything in your power to make sure the forum gets talked down on.

Who's the problem in that equation?

CFD1415

Jun 7, 2013
Mocksville, NC
I Personally Don't Think Bashing Mods Or Each Other On Threads Helps This Grow. We All Get Frustrated But New Members Won't Wanna Join If There's A Bunch Of B!tching And Complaining. Just My Two Cents.

A_Pharis

Honestly, I think FCB is not bad at all, rather good actually. It is a comparatively small population of longtime hobbyists, most of whom have known each other for over a decade, and as long as we are clear that we are not here to compete with SCF or BO with regards to sheer volume, then all is well. I think Gilmo has come to terms with the notion that FCB is not going to make anyone rich but rather has committed to simply providing a nice place to talk sports and sports cards. Having said that, there are 5 to 10 members (some longstanding) that are just too rough around the edges. Sure, they break no rules per see, but their overall attitude of condescending, arrogant, and argumentative daily displays do little for the forum and only add daily doses of venom to an otherwise pleasant environment. What would I do? Let these members go and enjoy the sunshine. :)

I could not agree with you more, and it's that group of users that add 0% positivity or effort but are the first to spend their time here talking about how bad it is. In all honesty, under the premise of tightening thread structure - this thread should already be moved out for being pushed off-course.

As a matter of fact, I'd like to see [MENTION=3743]55_marlins_sp[/MENTION] continue this thread in the manner in which he intended, and if [MENTION=1767]P_Manning 18[/MENTION] would like to continue his discussion with me he can via PM or in a rant thread elsewhere.

CFD1415

Jun 7, 2013
Mocksville, NC
I could not agree with you more, and it's that group of users that add 0% positivity or effort but are the first to spend their time here talking about how bad it is. In all honesty, under the premise of tightening thread structure - this thread should already be moved out for being pushed off-course.

As a matter of fact, I'd like to see [MENTION=3743]55_marlins_sp[/MENTION] continue this thread in the manner in which he intended, and if [MENTION=1767]P_Manning 18[/MENTION] would like to continue his discussion with me he can via PM or in a rant thread elsewhere.

I Agree With This. Do It In Private

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
We need a trade manager type program.

We need a weekly hotlist.... I nominate masonphillip to write it.

We could probably use a group grading submission.... again... I nominate masonphillip to run it.

A_Pharis

We need a trade manager type program.

We need a weekly hotlist.... I nominate masonphillip to write it.

We could probably use a group grading submission.... again... I nominate masonphillip to run it.

If Phil were really around as much and willing to do it, then I'd love to still have him doing it, too.

Why don't you write a hotlist? I'd have to assume you're a football fan - maybe a football only? I would 100% back any effort you'd put into it and make sure you got a sticky thread for it.

Edit: As for a trade manager, software worth having isn't cheap. It's also difficult to come up with a system that everyone would seem to be happy with.

Last edited:

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
That's all been tried in the last year or two.

That's the problem. So many things have been done or started in the last 2-3 years. We care about it for 3-4 weeks and we move on. Phils Hot List was very popular.... but for some reason he was replaced and basically phased out of this message board. It was said he was too busy... but he said he wasn't.

We are quickly approaching the end of the baseball season and we will have 5 months of dead time. Like I mentioned earlier.... I think the damage has been done.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
...ever since [MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION] "retired", we are struggling to find an identity. Let's blame him!!!:D

I look at it heavilly from a player / 80's-90's point of view, I know, and that us only part of this collecting "world", and the thing that drives me the most nuts is the drop-out rate of respected, knowledgable and productive members. Some of them leave because the crap that goes on here, some have life changes and sell, and some just quit collecting because they they grow up and get new hobbies. There are many people that post only ever so often anymore, it is hard ti get that community feel that BMB once had, or FCB once had. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing newer members, too, but I am thinking about the "flow" of the community keeps changing, and it's just not what I expected after years and years... It's hard to blame anyone or anything when it's just life, I guess, and the state of the hobby OVERALL, (like putting bAseball players in basketball products!!:))
Man, when I think about alll of the great, great members who never, or hardly ever post anymore, it makes me sad.
I don't have all the answers, but consistency is the key to any community, and keep people coming back. The Collector Spotlight would be a great start (which I offered to start-up and maintain but never even got a reply). It would take many consistant things like this, though, to build up the community...

A_Pharis

...ever since @magicpapa "retired", we are struggling to find an identity. Let's blame him!!!:D

I look at it heavilly from a player / 80's-90's point of view, I know, and that us only part of this collecting "world", and the thing that drives me the most nuts is the drop-out rate of respected, knowledgable and productive members. Some of them leave because the crap that goes on here, some have life changes and sell, and some just quit collecting because they they grow up and get new hobbies. There are many people that post only ever so often anymore, it is hard ti get that community feel that BMB once had, or FCB once had. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing newer members, too, but I am thinking about the "flow" of the community keeps changing, and it's just not what I expected after years and years... It's hard to blame anyone or anything when it's just life, I guess, and the state of the hobby OVERALL, (like putting bAseball players in basketball products!!:))
Man, when I think about alll of the great, great members who never, or hardly ever post anymore, it makes me sad.
I don't have all the answers, but consistency is the key to any community, and keep people coming back. The Collector Spotlight would be a great start (which I offered to start-up and maintain but never even got a reply). It would take many consistant things like this, though, to build up the community...

Dave is wanting to put effort into a Spotlight, but you are both welcome to collaborate. If it gets interest we can see where it goes from there.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I personally miss the free to good home threads & upper echelon. That was the most fun I had on these boards. I started to feel as the same awesome & generous members were starting to get taking advantage of. I would love to see these gain some fuel. & as a matter of fact I'm gunna try & find some new stuff as we speak.

Members online