Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's your all-time favorite team?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Just curious, what is your all-time favorite team? That team you loved from all-star to scrubs, that got you excited about checking box scores, that had your interest all season.

For me, it was the 1989 "Boys of Zimmer" Cubs team. I loved watching them on WGN and that great season that came out of the blue. Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Walton, Smith, Sutcliffe, Maddux, Bielecki, Wild Thing Williams. Those guys rocked. What a summer at Wrigley!

il_570xN.568695263_botn.jpg

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
2015 royals. 2014 was exciting, but 2015 was beyond that. Going in as underdogs then storming through everyone.

I was only 8 in 1985, so hard to call that team a favorite.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Just curious, what is your all-time favorite team? That team you loved from all-star to scrubs, that got you excited about checking box scores, that had your interest all season.

For me, it was the 1989 "Boys of Zimmer" Cubs team. I loved watching them on WGN and that great season that came out of the blue. Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Walton, Smith, Sutcliffe, Maddux, Bielecki, Wild Thing Williams. Those guys rocked. What a summer at Wrigley!

il_570xN.568695263_botn.jpg

Im not gonna lie, coming from a Brewer fan (pre-switch), that there is an iconic team from my childhood.

If it has to be baseball, it's the 2011 Crew. I loved the hate and the swagger. Braun, Fielder and Gomez were the big names, but Mike Cameron, Nyger Morgan and John Axford will always hold a special place in my heart. So much pent-up excitement.

All time, any sport? 2014-2015 Wisconsin Badgers, no question. Frank The Tank and Sam Deckker, Bo's last hurrah, and knocking out the greatest team (arguably) in NCAA team in history; that can't be topped.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
The 96 Yankees. I was 11 in 95 when Donny retired and I was so upset. He was my favorite player by far, then this Jeter guy came along and turned my frown upside down.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
2003 Red Sox....Ortiz, Pedro, Nomar, Manny, Varitek, Millar, Mueller, Nixon, Wakefield, Lowe, and the lesser stars like Kapler, Mirabelli, Timlin, and Hillenbrand. Just an awesome team to watch, so much energy and charisma...always having fun. It's a shame Aaron Boone happened.... :(

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
the 1980 world series champs Phillies! Loved seeingthem in the world series. Also collecting every auto from every player on the team!
1980phils.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
1987 Brewers Team Streak here. Hard to top childhood memories after you've grown cold to the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
1993 Blue Jays. WAMCO, 2nd straight World Series, and of course Johnny O's career year.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
2011 Diamondbacks, though 2001 is obviously close. Was going through a lot of crap in 2011 and baseball was really all I felt I had, and luckily we were improbably good. Still think we could've gone far if we just could have pulled it out in extra innings.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Man, I don't know if it really was the greatest "team" ever, or if it was just because I was a young kid in love with baseball, but the 1975 Reds will go down as my favorite, although I wasn't into the pitchers too much:

C- Johnny Bench
1B- Tony Perez
2B- Joe Morgan
3B- Pete Rose
SS- Dave Concepcion
LF- George Foster
CF-Cesar Geronimo
RF- Ken Griffey

Wasn't until 1978 that I started loving pitcher and defense, too, and plus Reggie was my favorite player, so that Yankees team was a close second all-time, but I loved them offensively and defensively:
Reggie Jackson
Willie Randolph
Thurman Munson
Craig Nettles
Bucky Dent
Mickey Rivers
Lou Piniella
Chris Chambliss
Ron Guidry
Sparky Lyle
Goose Gossage
Catfish Hunter

Both of these teams/lineups engraved in my mind. Never been another baseball team where I cared enough to know all of the players (except maybe 1995 Mariners). Even '84 Padres and '98 Padres was all about Gwynn only... :cool:
And to the OP, it really was "pouring over boxscores" back then, as that's all there was until TWIB on Saturdays!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
89' era of the Giants, and even though the beat them in the WS, that 88-90 run of the A's was fun too. I grew up in Scottsdale and those 2 teams Spring Training practice sports were pretty close. I was 10-12 years old in this timeframe and it was my favorite time in baseball. Lots of good memories, and had a connection with even the non-stars of those teams like the Robby Thompsons, Carney Lansfords, etc. Out in AZ we didn't have a baseball team so I liked these CA teams. Our football team was new but garbage so i liked the 49ers and Bills and I liked the Suns, but the Warriors too. Guess I gravitated towards Bay Area teams. Anyway back to the damn topic is the 1989 Giants (w the As in the discussion)

Ryan

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
'70 Orioles

1970 Orioles... 108 season wins, 3 twenty game winners, and a WS title (not a bad year :D).

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
1985 KC Royals. First game I ever went to was a Royals game with my grandfather. At our school, we picked teams to win the WS in gym class and whoever lost had to do push-ups. I was one of the only ones who picked the Royals, and still remember all my friends doing push-ups as I sat back and smiled.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
2002 Reds. First time I saw my favorite player play in person, first summer I went on a multi-stadium road trip, first time I drove myself to a baseball game (just me and a buddy) and, after that game, got to meet my favorite player. I believe I saw more games that season than before or since. Good times.

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1986 Texas Rangers

I was 13 and this was the first year the Rangers had a legitimate shot at the playoffs.
The season came down to the final week with the Angels, but Texas couldn't pull it out.

But what made the team so exciting, especially to a 13 year old, was that nearly half the team were rookies, and they had the team in contention.

Rookies included Ruben Sierra, Pete Incaviglia, Kevin Brown, Mitch Williams, Bobby Witt, Jose Guzman and more then-promising rookies.
And the other hitters like Oddibe McDowell, Pete O'Brien and Scott Fletcher, were only in their second or third year.
The team was extremely young (except for Charlie Hough) and full of energy, and the excitement in Dallas was electric that summer.

I went to around 20 games that season at the old Arlington Stadium with my Dad and brother, and managed to get every players' autograph on a ball and program before the games. All of those rookies didn't even have rookie cards yet, until the traded/rookie sets came out in late summer.

Of course, none of those young players lived up to their potential, except Sierra, Brown and Williams for a couple of seasons, but they were fun to watch.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts