Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When cards serial #'ed /100 might as well be #'ed /1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
You have to be patient from what I have seen. You will make mistakes and wish you grabbed something that you didn't. I have noticed that a lot of time cards come in spurts so 10 cards will pop up that you want but you can only afford 5 of them so you will need to pick and choose.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
while I do agree with being picky if your on a budget.. you will also have to come to the realization that you may not ever see certain cards pop again.. 90's inserts are not getting any younger and its not like there is tons of wax left to open out there. Even 2000-2005 stuff is a decade old already meaning the chances of the lower numbered stuff coming available is slim to none. You will pay well above what you think market value is for the player's card but thats more reflective of its "actual" value. I can easily think of a dozen cards I passed on thinking the sale price was ridiculous to only wish I had just bought them cause the opportunity never came again. I paid up big time on a few of the most desirable 90's inserts because I had to have them and when I sold them I made good money on them still.. a testament to the market value on rare cards.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Last year, a dealer at a show had MONSTER BOXES filled with loose packs from the last 15 or so years with an emphasis on early mid 00's (even some from 01)

I wound up buying a ton to put then out in my store and a customer got a numbered pujols rookie.

Point is, who knows what's floating around un opened out there, let alone loose cards buried in boxes in a closet, basement, attic or garage.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
My tough one was /30. This set was from 2004 and it was not until last year, 10 years later I saw my first one of the 30. I bought from a rival O'neill collector that was unloading.
image_21.jpg

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
while I do agree with being picky if your on a budget.. you will also have to come to the realization that you may not ever see certain cards pop again.. 90's inserts are not getting any younger and its not like there is tons of wax left to open out there. Even 2000-2005 stuff is a decade old already meaning the chances of the lower numbered stuff coming available is slim to none. You will pay well above what you think market value is for the player's card but thats more reflective of its "actual" value. I can easily think of a dozen cards I passed on thinking the sale price was ridiculous to only wish I had just bought them cause the opportunity never came again. I paid up big time on a few of the most desirable 90's inserts because I had to have them and when I sold them I made good money on them still.. a testament to the market value on rare cards.

Paul and I have both been down this road, leaving the hobby in the early 90's and returning at different times. I've ponied up some serious cash for Henderson rarities... They just do not come up. If a SC sells out, and he was hoarding, it's our only way to try to capitalize on the situation... We will be fighting set collectors and fellow PC hoarders on these rare cards.. I still have a few on my early list that I can honestly say that I have never seen for sale (1997 Donruss Limited Fabric of the Game #4 /100), if there are 100 of these, then WTF! 1998 Circa Thunder Super Rave #87 /25 yeah, 25 where?

I could go on and on.. I do pride myself on the back half of my collection, being able to check a complete year off a checklist has always been one of the happiest moments for me. Those are my times of great personal satisfaction, knowing how long I've been involved in this hobby and the journey it has taken me on. Sometimes I look into these monster boxes of cardboard and just get lost, whether it be for my financial/time investment, or just they boy in me who grew up loving baseball cards...

Basically, if it's there, and you want it... Either step up to the plate, or deal with the regret... There are times I've been able to deal, and other times where I just can't even get an opportunity to purchase one of my white whales.. The 2003-now hobby has basically chased any reality of me ever caring about having it all... It's not possible. The childhood dream that started in 1987 to have one of everything, it's long been extinguished... But I look at my 1997-2003 checklist as my reason for still collecting, the reason I will still check Ebay every damn day for the last 7 years... It's crazy.. But... I love it!

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I can't speak to Alomar, but I am thankful I picked up my copies of Lance Niekro when they first came out back then. That being said, I still have never seen the 2006 Upper Deck F/X Blue, a supposed base non-numbered card Beckett only values at a $1. This stuff just dries up over time, especially with lesser names.

Thanks,
Jeff

Oddly I have the blue parallel of Alomar. I also have the green and have seen it for sale several times in other places. The green is supposed to be harder to find than the purple and the blue should be harder to find than all of them, I think. I have the green, red, and purple Varitek cards, though I think I got them all right when the product released.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Paul and I have both been down this road, leaving the hobby in the early 90's and returning at different times. I've ponied up some serious cash for Henderson rarities... They just do not come up. If a SC sells out, and he was hoarding, it's our only way to try to capitalize on the situation... We will be fighting set collectors and fellow PC hoarders on these rare cards.. I still have a few on my early list that I can honestly say that I have never seen for sale (1997 Donruss Limited Fabric of the Game #4 /100), if there are 100 of these, then WTF! 1998 Circa Thunder Super Rave #87 /25 yeah, 25 where?

I could go on and on.. I do pride myself on the back half of my collection, being able to check a complete year off a checklist has always been one of the happiest moments for me. Those are my times of great personal satisfaction, knowing how long I've been involved in this hobby and the journey it has taken me on. Sometimes I look into these monster boxes of cardboard and just get lost, whether it be for my financial/time investment, or just they boy in me who grew up loving baseball cards...

Basically, if it's there, and you want it... Either step up to the plate, or deal with the regret... There are times I've been able to deal, and other times where I just can't even get an opportunity to purchase one of my white whales.. The 2003-now hobby has basically chased any reality of me ever caring about having it all... It's not possible. The childhood dream that started in 1987 to have one of everything, it's long been extinguished... But I look at my 1997-2003 checklist as my reason for still collecting, the reason I will still check Ebay every damn day for the last 7 years... It's crazy.. But... I love it!

This is how I enjoy the hobby now watching rarities get unearthed and into your PC! doesn't cost me a penny and since I understand the struggle I appreciate the rewards!! your fortunate enough to not have Crusades and some of the other crazy inserts to chase(or unfortunate as they are great looking cards).

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Oddly I have the blue parallel of Alomar. I also have the green and have seen it for sale several times in other places. The green is supposed to be harder to find than the purple and the blue should be harder to find than all of them, I think. I have the green, red, and purple Varitek cards, though I think I got them all right when the product released.

That's a tough one for sure-I've never seen the Niekro. There's some weird circumstances surrounding the blues-I'll have to find the thread and bump it. The issue with the blue is there aren't SN either and get mistaken for the purple a lot of the time (Burbank has a purple mistakenly listed as a blue right now). Green is only #/99 and like you pretty sure I got it and every other color besides blue back in 2006.

Thanks,
Jeff

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
It might have already been mentioned but I think that the number of player collectors per player has a lot to do with the number of #ed cards still available. And I'm guessing there are still a ton of Canseco, Clark, Alomar, and Henderson collectors out there. Way more than the obscure player that I collect.:p

Members online