Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Clark Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Random question - this appears on the Beckett Will Clark checklist:

1994 Giants Team Issue The 1993 Giants Clark/Williams/Bonds

Anyone know what that is?

Drew, I think it refers to an 8x10 set given away at a Giants game in 1994. I have these three "cards" scanned in for my Thompson collection but I'll have to dig out the complete set because I don't have any scanned for the Clark collection. I'll try to find the rest of the set this weekend and see if there is a Clark in there.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Ron

Hey can u post pics of any that may have Clark on it

Thanks
Ryan

I just pulled out the rest of the set I have, and no Clark's were included. Not sure if I don't have the complete set, or if this is a different set. Tried to look it up on Beckett, but the darn site is down. My guess is this might be a different set, the seller I bought these from tends to sell complete sets, not partials. But, I do know that in the mid to late '90's the Giants would do baseball card give aways that were designed to have only parts of a set so fans could "trade" with each other to complete the set.

The 8x10 cards contained in my set include:
Two Dusty Baker's
A Darren Lewis error-less streak
A dual 20 game winner Bill Swift and John Burkett
Two Bonds
and the three posted above, none of them with Clark pictured. I find it a little hard to believe that the Giants would include Clark in any 1994 promotions since there was such a big deal made when they didn't resign him after the 1993 season.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Whoa. I've never seen those. Judging from the multiple players, it seems reasonable for that to be the issue in question. As Ryan said, I'd love to see the Clark, if it exists!

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Whoa. I've never seen those. Judging from the multiple players, it seems reasonable for that to be the issue in question. As Ryan said, I'd love to see the Clark, if it exists!

No Clark's in the set I have, but who knows, my set might not be complete.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
No Clark's in the set I have, but who knows, my set might not be complete.

Understood, but I still think that's it. It just makes sense with the description from Beckett. It would also be strange to exclude Will from that set. Any idea if they were distributed as a set? What do the backs look like?

Thanks for the lead on these - sounds like I'm not alone in looking for this one...

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Guys I think you can cross this off of your list. I finally got the Beckett site to work and the checklist for this set matches what I have except for the last card, that card is the last one pictured above. Beckett lists the card as 1993 Giants, Williams, Clark, Bonds, but the card I have is named the same but Thompson is pictured. My guess is someone figured it must be Clark based on the subject matter. But I still think it would be very odd for the Giants to add Clark into a promo set when he is currently on the Rangers. Another thing that points to this being a Beckett mistake is that the checklist for Thompson includes only two cards from this set, but clearly there are three cards that I have scanned.

Beckett list:
1994 Giants Team Issue Baseball Cards Values | Beckett.com

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I do agree that I can't think of any Giants 1994 stuff that had Clark associated at all... I guess we all have hunting to do over the next few years to see if it exists.

This morning I just purchased something I really had no idea what it was other than it being mentioned somewhere before. It's from 1987 and isn't really a card but a neat oddball item. I'll post it when it arrives.

Ryan

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Ron, you're probably right, but I hope you're wrong. Even if I don't get the item for another 10 years, it's a bummer that I won't have the excitement of adding that one to my collection. (I don't think it's CRAZY to include Will in a 1994 Giants team issue, considering it was honoring the 1993 team. If there was a World Series champs item this summer it would probably include guys on the 2012 roster but not on 2013, particularly if it was one of the biggest stars on the team.)

Any other items out there we're looking for but have never seen?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ron, you're probably right, but I hope you're wrong. Even if I don't get the item for another 10 years, it's a bummer that I won't have the excitement of adding that one to my collection. (I don't think it's CRAZY to include Will in a 1994 Giants team issue, considering it was honoring the 1993 team. If there was a World Series champs item this summer it would probably include guys on the 2012 roster but not on 2013, particularly if it was one of the biggest stars on the team.)

I have something noted that was was a 1986 Miller Lite card or something like that, anyone have or seen that? Or was that false info?

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
What about the 1992 Colla Promos (one regular, one All-Star)? Anyone ever seen those?

I just got a Colla Promo like 2 months ago that I had never seen but in a pic. But I think it is 1991 w an ad back about the set production. I'll post tomorrow when I get home but does that ring a bell w anyone else as being tuff?

Ryan

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA

Hopefully it shows up, my guess is it doesn't exist. As far as a team promoting a player no longer with the team, think about 2011. After the World Series win the Giants haven't paid any homage or included Edgar Renteria or Juan Uribe in any promotional items. Renteria left the Giants after the World Series and joined the Reds in 2011, Uribe joined the Dodgers. Both hit clutch HR's in the World Series and carried the Giants through the playoffs.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Hey guys -

Here are some things I have added and some questions.....

IMG_4866.jpg

1987 Examiner Newspaper Card / Team Set

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

This is the back, so its more than just a picture in the paper, they made them into "cards". I am debating if I am clipping the set and moving the other guys. Any suggestions?

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

Here is this Colla Promo I got a lil while ago. Anyone know if they are tuff or easy to find and I just hadn't seen it for some reason except once before?

Then with Nolan new pickup, I figured I would post me food discs / squares. I have 1-2 more somewhere but please post/list any ones you have that I may be missing.

IMG_4873.jpg

1988 Tetley, single
IMG_4874.jpg

1989 Tetley, single
IMG_4875.jpg

1989 Tetley Square
IMG_4876.jpg

1990 Tetley, full w/ HoJo and Offer
IMG_4877.jpg

1990 Tetley Square
IMG_4878.jpg

1989 Weis Winners, w McGwire
IMG_4879.jpg

1988 Our Own Tea, single
IMG_4880.jpg

1988 Our Own Tean, full w/ McGwire and Offer (Never opened)
IMG_4881.jpg

1988 Super Stars, single
IMG_4882.jpg

1990 Super Stars, single
IMG_4883.jpg

1990 Super Stars Square
IMG_4884.jpg

1988 Fantastic Sams Square
IMG_4889.jpg

1989 King B
IMG_4888.jpg

1989 King B Square
IMG_4885.jpg

1991 King B
IMG_4886.jpg

1991 King B Square
IMG_4887.jpg

1988 Jiffy Pop
IMG_4890.jpg

1992 Bens
IMG_4872.jpg

1990 Holsum

Thanks for looking
Ryan

Last edited:

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Hey guys - I haven't had a chance to respond much, but I love the newspaper issue. I remember those from the Milwaukee paper back in 1982 when the Brewers went to the series. We cut them out and my mom laminated them at work, so they were more like proper cards. I have a hard time cutting something like that, unless I have another copy. Either way, it's really cool.

And, as some know, I LOVE the tea discs. They have been a real collecting goal of mine for a few years now. Highly underrated.

Here are mine. (I think this is my full collection, but I can't be certain right now...)

Note my 1990 SuperStars "disc" is clearly hand cut from a full sheet. I'm looking for a proper disc issue, but I'll take this one for now.

88TetleyTea.jpg
31.jpg

88WeisMarket.jpg
1988MSASuperstarsDisc.jpg

1988OurOwnTeaPanelWillClarkMarkMcGwire.jpg

33.jpg
1989SuperstarsUncut.jpg

KeyFoodDisc.jpg
WeisDisc.jpg

9.jpg

1989Tetley.jpg
tetley.jpg

tetley2.jpg
1990WillClarkSuperStarsSquare.jpg

1990TetleyTea.jpg
34.jpg

TetleyTeaPanel.jpg

I'm *VERY* interested in an discs or variations I don't have. Heck, I even like just seeing scans of the ones I don't have!

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
If anyone needs this 1991 SF Examiner issue, this is a good price. They're not super rare, but they don't come up all that often.

1991 Giants s F Examiner Insert Will Clark San Francisco GIANTSX8 1 2"x11"X | eBay

Also, I see that someone just bought this one on eBay. (the scan below is my copy)

RangersPostcard.jpg

The seller listed it as 1995 Crayola, but I don't think that's right. Below is what I believe is the 1995 Crayola. Honestly, these Ranger team-issue postcards are both fascinating and maddening to me. (Although they may be fascinating precisely because they are maddening.) I just have no good feel for what postcard is what issue. Do you?

WillClarkCrayola.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Andrew

Thanks for posting... Like you I would just like to see pics of ones we haven't posted yet etc.

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I was the one who bought the postcard, I am on vacation so I wasn't sure if I had it or not, but ya I knew it wasn't the Crayola. But I figured I'd rather snag that and if its an extra oh well if its one I need then great.

Ryan

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
I was the one who bought the postcard, I am on vacation so I wasn't sure if I had it or not, but ya I knew it wasn't the Crayola. But I figured I'd rather snag that and if its an extra oh well if its one I need then great.

Ryan

If the price was a little lower, I'd have hit the BIN myself, whether or not I had it. Those are just really tough issues. I hope this is one you can check off your list...

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Hey, is anyone going to the National in Chicago this weekend? I'll likely be there on Saturday, probably late morning-ish. It would be great to meet up with anyone that's in town.

Drew

Members online