Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oil Can Boyd says frequent cocaine use cost him sleep, wins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... g-career/1

Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd won 78 games in a 10-year major league career. If not for cocaine, Boyd says he could have won 150.

Speaking at a Red Sox fantasy camp in Fort Myers, Fla., Boyd told Jon Miller of Boston's WBZ that he had cocaine in his system "two-thirds" of the time he took the mound during the second half of his career, which spanned from 1982-91.

"Some of the best games I've ever pitched in the major leagues I stayed up all night -- I'd say two-thirds of them," Boyd said. "(But) if I had went to bed, I would have won 150 ballgames in the time span that I played."

Boyd says he was never drug–tested.

"I never had a drug test as long as I played baseball,'' Boyd told Miller. "I was told that, yeah, if you don't stop doing this we're going to put you into rehab, and I told them ... I'm going to do what I have to do, I have to win ballgames. We'll talk about that in the offseason. Right now I have to win ballgames.''

Boyd, 52, said he "learned how to indulge in cocaine -- and an abundance of cocaine," about a year before his most successful season with Boston in 1986. Today, he calls it a "demonic activity" in response to a "very cold, scary world I was living in as a young kid."

Boyd's nickname, "Oil Can," comes from his beer-drinking days in his youth in Meridian, Miss., where beer was known as "oil." When it came to cocaine, Boyd says he used it home and away, and it kept him awake. He also said he used cocaine during games.

"There wasn't one ballpark that I probably didn't stay up all night, until 4 or 5 in the morning," he said, noting that the effects remain "in your system" for hours. "It's not like you have time to go do it while in the game -- which I have did that."

Boyd said he wasn't alone. Although he did not name names in the interview, he does have a tell-all book, They Call Me Oil Can: My Life in Baseball, scheduled for release in June.

He said some, but not all of his teammates were aware of his drug abuse and were supportive.

"All of them didn't rally around me," he said. "All of them knew (of my habit) and the ones that cared came to me. The Dwight Evanses and Bill Buckners and Don Baylors ... it was the veteran ballplayers. Some guys lived it; they knew what you were doing, and the only way they knew was they had to have tried it, too.''

Boyd wasn't able to enjoy the pinnacle of his career when he went 16-10 and helped the 1986 Red Sox to the World Series against the Mets. He was left off the All-Star team, then passed over by manager John McNamara when it was his turn to pitch Game 7 of the World Series.

"I was disappointed not to pitch Game 7," he said. "I was very disturbed by it and will be the rest of my life.

"I was a person you could count on. .... What I was doing off the field didn't make me a bad person. It made me a dysfunctional person. I was treated like I was a bad person."

In subsequent seasons, a series of health and personal issues facilitated the demise of his career. Ultimately, Boyd believes he was blackballed for being an outspoken black player and didn't get as many chances to redeem himself as Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden or Steve Howe.

"The reason I caught the deep end to it is because I'm black," he said. "The bottom line is the game carries a lot of bigotry, and that was an easy way for them to do it If I wasn't outspoken and a so-called 'proud black man,' maybe I would have gotten the empathy and sympathy like other ballplayers got. … I can name 50 people that got third and fourth chances all because they weren't outspoken black individuals.''

Boyd, who said he is hoping to land the part of Satchel Paige in an upcoming movie, says considerable potential -- particularly that of young black ballplayers -- is being lost today on the streets. "Kids have to be educated," he said. "There's gotta be some love. People got to care."

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Although he did not name names in the interview, he does have a tell-all book, They Call Me Oil Can: My Life in Baseball, scheduled for release in June.

Shocking.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
He also didn't get many chances because of Alan Wiggans:

Back in the 1980s, the San Diego Padres had a second baseman named Alan Wiggins. He wasn’t a great player—having converted from the outfield at the major-league level, he was a miserable defender at the keystone, with 32 errors in his first full season there. He was almost purely a singles hitter, and though he took a few walks, his batting averages were unexceptional. The one thing he could do was fly around the bases, and in 1984 he helped the team to an unexpected pennant with 70 stolen bases. He also had a history of cocaine abuse and had been in rehab in 1982. Wiggins opened the 1985 season hitting .054 and vanished from the club while in the midst of an 0-for-19 streak. He had, for the second time in his career, succumbed to the lure of cocaine.

The Padres sent Wiggins to rehab, but he was not welcomed back after completion of the program. Then-owner Joan Kroc refused to accept him. “At the time [1982], we asked Alan to keep us posted—if he thought the problem was recurring to let us know. That did not happen. At some point a person has to be responsible for his own actions. Whatever it takes, we’re going to have a clean team.”

There’s that easy moralizing again. The truth was, Kroc was embarrassed. Having completed his 1982 rehabilitation, the Padres had used Wiggins as an anti-drug public speaker, sent him to schools, had him do public-service ads. She was also an idiot, because addiction is a lifetime condition with no cure. “Insiders say [Kroc] will never forgive Wiggins for the breach of faith his backsliding represents,” the Sporting News reported. See, it’s not about the addict committing slow-motion suicide before our eyes or trying to stop him from doing so, it’s about how much offense we can take, how far down our noses we can look. Most journalists merrily joined in the condemnation party; even Peter Gammons wrote that Wiggins had “turned his back on his teammates.”

Wiggins was given medical clearance to return, but the Padres spent a couple of months fighting the Players Association’s demands for his reinstatement, then dealt him off to the Orioles for a couple of players they didn’t want. They also reportedly absorbed some of the cost of the four-year contract he had just signed during the offseason. He played some of the best baseball of his career for them over the remainder of the season. That was about it for him, though. His limitations as a ballplayer were just too great. He fell into a reserve role with the Orioles and was even sent down for a time by Earl Weaver in 1986. The Orioles released him in 1987. There was a year to go on his contract.

Wiggins never played again. He mostly disappeared from view. Occasionally one would hear rumors of more drug problems, and there probably were some. Mostly, though, he was just gone. We didn’t hear his name again until January 6, 1991, when we learned he had died of AIDS, likely picked up as a result of his drug use. He was only 32 years old. Wiggins certainly bears some of the responsibility for his fate, but it was also true that it was much easier to mock him, call him a “druggie” (as the infamous columnist Dick Young did), and shun him the way the Padres did than it was to help him.

out of sight, out of mind

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
RIP

alan_wiggins_autograph.jpg

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I just finished reading The Pittsburgh Cocaine Seven, which deals with cocaine use in MLB (and the USA) in the 1980's. Very eye-opening and well-written. I recommend it.

I used to think that Tim Raines would never get into the HOF because he was an admitted coke-user. That was before reading the book. Now I know that Paul Molitor also used coke, and it didn't stop him from getting into the Hall.

Of course, this might be the type of thing Boyd is referring to when he talks about racism in MLB.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
Molitor was white?? :shock: :shock:

Man just reading the box scores leave you with only half the picture

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
wasn't there just a whole thread about which baseball cards cut up lines better?

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Anyone hear the WEEI interview that just ended? WOW !!

I was listening over the web and I have never heard more F bombs in an interview.....that guy is whacked......

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
its funny to me how so many people were so naive to what their heroes were up to back in the day... I knew my boy was on the roids and I never denied that or even cared. Its a shame that people are just finding out now that all the big name players were not squeaky clean role models either and did **** just as illegal and actually worse in my opinion than PED's. Speed, Coke, Greenies, Percs, and god knows what else these dudes popped like your typical junkies and yet you blindly put them up on a pillar...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
He was just on E:60 and at the end Buster Olney said he still smokes marijuana every day and "occasionally" does cocaine - right after a clip of him signing autographs for kids (how "he lives a modest life") and catching a kid pitching while instructing him.

What the hell is wrong with that scene?

Members online

Latest posts