Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospect Situation

Do you sign the contract?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
Imagine you are a 1st base top prospect in high school. You get drafted by the team that won the WS the previous year, 50th overall. They offer you a salary of 700/month and offer you a $400,000 signing bonus. The MLB team has a solid, young 1b, and you would be the 2nd-rated 1st base prospect in the system. The #1 1b is in triple A. Do you sign the contract, or accept your scholarship to a great academic/great baseball school, like Stanford or Rice?

Edit-
Your family makes $50 k a year, making just above ends meet. That money would be a great helper.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
blanning71 said:
Are we running out of stuff to post about now? Really......

my last few polls have sparked a lot of conversation.....

(see arod HOF, Thomas Roids, perfect game vs. 4 HR)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
J.O. said:
blanning71 said:

yeah, lets see,

Arod Front page news
roids front page news
perfect game/4hr (a major feat)

This seems silly. I'm not a baseball player anymore so how can I answer that? It just seems you are digging for something to talk about.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
blanning71 said:
J.O. said:
blanning71 said:

yeah, lets see,

Arod Front page news
roids front page news

This seems silly. I'm not a baseball player anymore so how can I answer that? It just seems you are digging for something to talk about.

no, i'm not.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
I was saying 'no' untill I read the line about the family. Take the money! If you're good the team will find a place for you or trade you, the #1 1b prospect being in AAA means nothing to me.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Depending on my family status, I'd probably take the money. If you are good enough, you will find a place to play anyway. I'd rather take the sure thing, than risk a major injury in college.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I would take the cash....

Don't forget, most teams will ALSO pay for your education ON TOP of the signing bonus. I have friends that were drafted in the later rounds and the team paid for their education in the off season.

This is consistently done.

There are a TON of players who were 1st -4th rounders who NEVER had that bonus money come back around after their colege careers were over.

skrip

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
ballerskrip said:
I would take the cash....

Don't forget, most teams will ALSO pay for your education ON TOP of the signing bonus. I have friends that were drafted in the later rounds and the team paid for their education in the off season.

This is consistently done.

There are a TON of players who were 1st -4th rounders who NEVER had that bonus money come back around after their colege careers were over.

skrip

Well if the team will pay for education right away then obviously you sign the contract.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
blanning71 said:
J.O. said:
blanning71 said:

yeah, lets see,

Arod Front page news
roids front page news

I'm surprised he doesn't have a poll asking if you would still like your favorite player if you found out he has AIDS.

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
I'll give you a real world result of your poll.

You are a left handed pitcher from southern Ohio. You are drafted in the 11th? round by the Dodgers. They offer you $750,000 signing bonus or you can attend Georgia Tech. Your dad walks in demands 1,000,000 and the Dodgers laugh. You attend Tech and have a decent career and get drafted by the Rockies in the 4th round and sign for under 100,000 and because you are an arrogant meathead you didn't graduate from college.

You do go on to pitch in 11 games in the bigs, but only make about 500,000

Mark

AthleticConnections

Dec 19, 2008
depends on where baseball ranks on level of importance to you...but if ur dream is to play professional baseball then u sign...ive personally played with tooo many players u had the chance to sign out of high school...didnt...and then never got drafted again

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
Really the correct answer is take the money and work into your contract that the club pays for you college when you are done with baseball. That is what most of my friends did

Mark

Members online

Latest posts