Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps screws me yet again - Diamond Giveaway FAIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Had a shipment of cards I ordered 2 weeks ago from the Diamond Giveaway website - 24 vintage cards and a "vintage" pack of 1988 Topps (no biggie, but it got me free shipping). I was excited because I had a few 1950's cards coming, along with a 1960 Hank Aaron. Finally got the order today, and here's what I got:

A FREAKING NOTE SAYING THAT THE 1960 HANK AARON AND THE 1988 TOPPS PACK WERE ON "BACKORDER"!!!

How in the heck are giveaway cards on backorder? How can they promise an unlocked card, confirm it was shipped, and say it was "backordered"? I saw 3 of them this weekend at a show!!! Not to mention you can probably find packs of 1988 Topps in your couch cushions!!

To top it off, the condition on some the cards was deplorable. The 1959 Checklist was completely marked, 2 of the cards were creased so bad it literally looked as if they had been folded in half, and the 1955 Billy Pierce was missing an entire corner (like someone took a bite out of it).

So what's my next step? The website doesn't mention anything about the backordered card, it just says it was ordered and shipped. Is customer service going to do anything, or am I just screwed here?

Greg

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I got my first shipment today too and my 1988 Topps pack was on backorder as well.

I couldn't care less about it since I only used it for the free shipping, but I thought it was funny because you can get them at any flee market for a buck...

I got some backordered stuff during the MCG and they replaced it without me having to contact them.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I got my 1988 pack, and I think it was searched! No stars, no GU, no auto, not even an insert! The best card was a Joey Meyer "Future Stars". I looked him up and he wasn't even ever a star! So not only was I shorted a hit, but the Joey Meyer card lied to me!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
mudflap02 said:
the Joey Meyer card lied to me!

The hell you say!
WikipediaCouldNeverBeWrong said:
Meyer holds the record for the longest home run in professional baseball history at 582 feet, which he hit June 3, 1987 at Denver's Mile High Stadium.[1] There have been longer home runs reportedly hit but not measured by accurate methods.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
gpenko826 said:
A FREAKING NOTE SAYING THAT THE 1960 HANK AARON AND THE 1988 TOPPS PACK WERE ON "BACKORDER"!!!

How in the heck are giveaway cards on backorder? How can they promise an unlocked card, confirm it was shipped, and say it was "backordered"?

(...)

To top it off, the condition on some the cards was deplorable.

yep, welcome to the surprise I got about 3 weeks ago when my shipment of Diamond Giveaway cards arrived and the 1971 Topps Torborg was "backordered". Considering the legalese of the giveaway on the site say the cards are in a temperature controlled and secured location, I had to wonder what the *** was going on that my card had to be backordered.

I'm about ready to email customer service to find out why the backordered card hasn't been shipped yet all these weeks later.

BTW, the legalese doesn't guarantee anything about the condition of the cards. It would be nice if Topps had taken the time to put NRMT-MT cards in their program but they were under no obligation to do so. I just elected to have 1971 cards shipped to me hoping they might be an upgrade to the cards I already have in my set (and of course ship the older ones since they aren't in my PC). Anything newer than 1971 other than diecuts I didn't have shipped because I have them in my collection and it's not worth the cost of shipping them if they are duplicates to me.

Surprised a bottomfeeder hasn't jumped on the backorder scenario since any cards backordered break the contract terms of the program.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
Be prepared to be ticked off.... I had a 1977 topps Nolan Ryan that was 'backordered' during the million card giveaway. They later sent me a 'fair' replacement, that was a 1964 common. They deemed it fair because it was from an older set.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
i got a note saying backordered on some cards but they arrived the very same day as my original package. ::facepalm::

condition is horrible on a lot of the vintage. congrats on hitting the Aaron though. I redeemed probably near 500 codes and got no vintage stars.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts