Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Guillen retires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Former All-Star Carlos Guillen will retire, the Mariners announced on Twitter.

Guillen, 36, signed a minor-league deal with the Mariners in February after eight seasons in Detroit. He started his career in Seattle, but had his best years in Detroit. Guillen made three All-Star teams and finished 10th in MVP voting in 2006.

The infielder finishes his career with a .285/.355/.443 line in parts of 14 seasons in the big leagues, wracking up 1,331 hits.

Very underrated player. Too bad injuries cut his career short

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I never realized his career batting average was that high. I also think he was a very underrated player, I would've liked to see him have his best years as a Seattle Mariner but as wise philosopher named Mick Jagger once said, you can't always get what you want.

FrostyCollects

Sep 28, 2011
Michigan
Despite his frequent injuries, I loved watching him play for the Tigers...

Too bad we won't get to see him get used as a tool for the Mariners to get Weaver out of games early... :lol:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
pretty soon there won't be any mariners left from the good ol days.. man. i'm getting old. was bummed when edgar and buhner retired, literally cried the day junior retired and recently cameron now guillen. dang man. was fun to watch, and I too would have liked to have seen him at his best as a Mariner

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Nice career.

cguillen.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
UMich92 said:
Wasn't he part of the haul for Randy Johnson?
"July 31, 1998: Traded by the Seattle Mariners to the Houston Astros for a player to be named later, Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen. The Houston Astros sent John Halama (October 1, 1998) to the Seattle Mariners to complete the trade."

Quite a lot to give up for a half season of RJ...

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
scotty21690 said:
UMich92 said:
"July 31, 1998: Traded by the Seattle Mariners to the Houston Astros for a player to be named later, Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen. The Houston Astros sent John Halama (October 1, 1998) to the Seattle Mariners to complete the trade."

At the time, nobody thought it was a haul. Fans, M's players, coaches, everyone was pissed after this deal. There was a buzz that the M's would get some instant impact major leaguers in a deal for the best pitcher in baseball. I was completely irate after hearing we traded him for 3 freaking Astros prospects... Turned out to be a great deal for the M's. Nowadays, superstars for prospects is the status quo.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
chompsmcgee said:
scotty21690 said:
UMich92 said:

At the time, nobody thought it was a haul. Fans, M's players, coaches, everyone was pissed after this deal. There was a buzz that the M's would get some instant impact major leaguers in a deal for the best pitcher in baseball. I was completely irate after hearing we traded him for 3 freaking Astros prospects... Turned out to be a great deal for the M's. Nowadays, superstars for prospects is the status quo.

Yeah I can definitely see why...it turned out quite well for Seattle in the long run though. I can see why Houston made the trade with them making a playoff run and they wanted a big game pitcher. For some reason RJ had awful luck with two quality starts and two losses in the playoffs.

Does RJ have any cards of him pictured as an Astro? I'm assuming so but I can't recall seeing any...

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
scotty21690 said:
chompsmcgee said:
scotty21690 said:
UMich92 said:

Yeah I can definitely see why...it turned out quite well for Seattle in the long run though. I can see why Houston made the trade with them making a playoff run and they wanted a big game pitcher. For some reason RJ had awful luck with two quality starts and two losses in the playoffs.

Does RJ have any cards of him pictured as an Astro? I'm assuming so but I can't recall seeing any...

There are several. Here's a few:

$(KGrHqZ,!hoE7k-wPS3mBO5,Fnq4rQ~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqEOKn!E3Uc6!i-zBN-3fVIyEQ~~_3.JPG

$(KGrHqR,!joE5e7+hs1DBOht72z-1g~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJ!wE8+04si1UBPTDkMgwwg~~60_12.JPG

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
Guillen and Pudge gave long frustrated Tigers fans something to cheer about in 2004. 2001 to 2003 were absolutely miserable years for the Tigers. Guillen was the first legit shortstop the Tigers had after Trammell retired.

I was at the Tigers home opener in 2004. Guillen batted second in the order. He was drilled in the knee with a foul ball from the Tigers leadoff hitter in the first inning. He laid on the ground for two minutes and I thought for sure he had suffered a bad injury. You could just feel the "oh no, here we go again" attitude from the sellout crowd. But he got up, walk it off and had a fantastic season in 2004.

He was a pleasure to watch when healthy.

Members online

Latest posts