Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WINNERS ANNOUNCED! Helpful Hints ... Contest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011
WINNERS!!!
Honorable Mention goes to 55_marlins_sp
3rd Prize goes to Ryan The Orange
2nd Prize goes to gracecollector
1st Prize goes to predatorkj

The winners will be receiving the Bryce Harper cards shown below as well as a special surprise or two. Thanks to all who participated!

I thought it would be cool for everyone to share some things they have learned about the hobby over the years. I will pick the top 3 contributors to this thread as winners of some fantastic prizes. I will be adding more prizes to the kitty as we go. The better the posts, the better the prizes! Here's a few things to get the ball rolling...

1. Never, Ever buy "Hot Packs"! The vast majority of them are resealed and the card you are "promised" will be the worse case scenario. Ex: If the title of the auction is "2012 TOPPS HERITAGE BASEBALL AUTO/RELIC/CUT AUTOGRAPH/REAL ONE HOT PACK" You will get a common relic card every time.

2. Never buy anything from a retail outlet (like Walmart) except sealed boxes. Assume all individual packs, rack packs, etc have been searched. Also, when you do buy boxes make sure the cello wrap has the manufacturers logo on it.

3. http://www.fatfingers.com is a great resource for finding deals on Ebay. You type in a search query and fatfingers finds all the misspelled titles for that search.

4. You should never pay the asking price at a card show. Dealers always set their prices so they have some wiggle room; especially on single cards.

Rules:
*Please try to keep this on topic and offer tips pertaining to the hobby.
*First Prize will be a Bryce Harper GOLD Bowman Chrome Bonus Card - Second Prize will be (2) Bryce Harper SILVER Bonus Cards - Third Prize will be (7) Bryce Harper RED Bonus Cards More prizes to come!
harperlot.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Re: Helpful Hints ... Contest

Some of these are personal opinion, but there are always exceptions to the rules, but these are the way I roll...

1) Grading is for suckers.
2) Buy the card, not the grade.
3) Buy singles, don't bust wax.
4) Sell prospects fast and don't look back. Better yet, don't prospect.
5) You can't have it all, so specialize in something that makes you happy.
6) Vintage rises steadily. Modern fluctuates.
7) If something is extremely rare and available, better to grab it while you can, even if you have to pay top dollar.
8) Buy quality, not quantity.
9) Kindness to other collectors is returned in kind.
10) Buy what makes you happy, not what others think is cool.
11) Don't put it on your credit card, buy what you can afford.

Best Hint above all:
12) Use a snipe program (Gixen.com) when bidding on eBay, and never bid before the auction's last few seconds. You'll get cards a LOT cheaper not tiping your hand to other collectors that you are interested in the card and starting a bidding war.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008

My only one.....

Enjoy the hobby as you see fit, let no one tell you different.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN

1) Don't go by book value. eBay is the market value, or whatever the buyer is willing to spend.
2) Don't bid on rare Josh Johnson's. The reason is obvious :)
3) If you can, give without wanting. Care packages are great and I love getting "payback" and it builds life long, hopefully, friendships that are valued more than trading cards or anything else in this hobby can give you.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

The Hobby is Always about the Enjoyment, Not Always about The $$

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011

Ok sorry, have to thank the op & go ot a tad.
Fatfingers is hilarious! I typed in derek jeter & got:
Derek jeeter
Derek jetta
Drek jeter
Derek jete
Derek jera
Derk jeter
Derke jeter
Derek jter

Oh my tip, never buy 1987 topps rak paks because chances are I "fingered" them as a kid.

Now, onto fatfingers to look up paul assenmacher

thejackaryman8

Sep 11, 2008
Mesa, Arizona

Don't assume that someone is going to trade/buy for what the card is "worth". If you're looking to move a few things, realize that Beckett posts a[n (unreal)] BV but EBay previous (sold) listings provide a REAL value. Different cards are valuable to the right people when it comes to different aspects of the hobby. I, for one, enjoy major league players...instead of prospecting...so I always hold Griffey, Ripken, Pujols, etc cards at a premium like most (don't know if it's most anymore) would. I understand that prospecting can bring in some good money before they bust....or bring in more money before they make it big...but I think the proven thing is what keeps the hobby alive. It sucks when you sit on a collection of BUSTS but it's sweet when you're sitting on a stash of a HOF.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota

1) Want to get an approximate value on a card when it comes to selling? Go to eBay and see what it's selling for. I put this at number one because it's a rule of thumb that can be used for dozens and dozens of items, not just cards.
2) You want a card? Pay what it's worth to YOU, not 64 other people that bought one on eBay prior to you.
3) Help kids get into the hobby whenever possible. Commons that just sit in a box can go to hospitals, Ronald McDonald houses, etc.
4) There are many lessons that can come from the hobby from basic math and organization to budgeting, planning, stat tracking, etc.
5) It's another great way to be involved in a sport that you love.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Okay...some of mine have already been touched on but...they do need repeating because they seem to be overlooked!
1. Never pay the price first asked at a show or a shop. Be willing to walk. Too many dealers think because they own the card, they have the upper hand. But it's not the card they want, it's your money. So in all reality, unless the card is numbered 1/1, they don't have the upper hand, you do.

2. This hobby has changed so much, and there are so many niches...so use that to your advantage. Know what you want to collect, and do some research on how best to do so. For instance...I collect sets. So instead of buying wax and trying to complete them, or buying sets made from the internet which kill me on shipping, I buy sets made at my hobby shop by the owner who has a loyal customer base that busts several cases of any given product, keeps maybe one base set and all the hits, and leaves the rest. You can get these for pennies on the dollar. I buy sets there cheaper than you can on ebay...before the shipping! Also, another good example is, if you collect players both of your hometown team, and players from different teams, buy the hometown guys from ebay, and the other teams from your shop or shows. No dealer has any reason to gouge you or think they can gouge you for a player that is not a hometown favorite. After all, if you express interest in it, chances are, if they don't move it to you, they don't move it.

3.Do not worry yourself about achieving a goal overnight. I started out in the winter of 2006 wanting to amass the best Bagwell collection known to man. In 2012, I'm still well short of that goal. I may never get there. But I also know that a wall, no matter how big, can fall just as easily from steady chunks taken out of it, as it can if you hit it with a wrecking ball. Unless you are Wossa, don't go the wrecking ball route. Do what you can as your budget allows and just be patient. Eventually it will whittle itself down and you can even save money to compete with the big boys for the big boy type cards. Rome wasn't built over night. Neither will your collection be.

4. Always collect what makes you happy. A lot of us collect differently based on what appeals to us. In the end, that is all that matters because this entire message board doesn't sit at home and OHH and AHH at your collection at night when you look through it. You do. 10 months from now when you get bored with your collection, your passion for it might allow you to keep it. It's the only thing that will get your throught the hard times, and definitely the only thing that will keep you collecting. You have to be happy. Not other people.

5. Collect something realistic. I'd never start a Griffey Jr. super collection simply due to cost and the fact that most of the best cards are locked away in Magic Papas basement! If you are going after any goal, at least make sure it is somewhat obtainable. My Bagwell collection will never be complete but if I try, I can get pretty damn close. But I'm not starting a 52 topps collection anytime soon nor am I supercollecting Griffey, McGwire, or Ripken. Don't set your goals too high unless they are meetable.

6. Be aware of people trying to gouge you simply because you collect a player or a set. Know what the items should be worth and know when it's a good time to pay what is asked and when it's not. Too many people assume since you collect something, you will overpay. Do not let that be the case. And if you are at a show, or a "new" shop, you might even tell them it's for a friend. That way they know that you are interested, but not willing to break the bank. If you tell anyone you collect anything, for about 75% of the dealers, the price just went up for you.

7. Ebay prices, unless plenty are available, are not everything they are cracked up to be. You have to remember that if you are buying on ebay, so are other collectors. You aren't walking into a shop or a show, you are competing against people who want that specific card. If it's a hot player, you are competing against people that range from casual collectors all the way to super collectors. So just because 2 nutballs are willing to pay in excess $500 for an Adam Dunn 1/10 autograph out of some random product(hypothetical...), it does not mean that card is worth $500 and there is no reason for someone to expect you, or other people, to pay that much. If someone tells you that the card went for $*** amount on ebay, and they try to hold firm, just tell them the logic above and if they are unwilling to move on their price, be prepared to walk. If every time I had to pay for a low numbered card, what a super collector or a player collector did on ebay, I'd be able to afford like 1 card a week if that.

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011

Really good stuff so far! Thanks to those of you who have contributed!

Here's a couple more...

Go to "The National" Convention at least once! It is truly the Mecca of card collecting. You will see cards and memorabilia beyond your wildest dreams. You get tons of free stuff! Plus the wrapper redemptions are amazing. The card manufacturers give you mega bonuses for opening their packs/boxes at the show. And it's an awesome way to meet up with other members and get to know each other in person. I know it's expensive and not everyone has the means to go, but even if you have to save up for a while, you will not be disappointed.

If you are buying singles from a new product try to wait at least a week or two before buying! The initial prices are usually way higher than what they will eventually settle in at. Especially if you are buying cards that aren't all that limited. Let the people who have to "have it now" pay the premium and wait for the prices to come down.

A couple areas that I am not real knowledgeable with are getting cards graded and Ebay alternates such as Checkoutmycards or sportlots. Anyone have any helpful tips about these two areas?

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Re: Helpful Hints ... Contest (Free Bryce Harper Cards)

Don't bog yourself down with titles like super collector. You can collect a player (and have a fun time doing it) without having every card. Collect within your means, and have fun!

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis

1. Have fun.
2. Don't expect to make significant profits by buying and selling baseball cards.
3. Balance collecting prospects by collecting some established veterans and/or retired players.
4. Try sending through the mail requests (TTM) if you never have.
5. Avoid trolling.
6. Stay in the hobby--don't sell absolutely everything! You'll regret it.
7. Use common internet resources to do your own research (i.e. eBay for fair market value)
8. Use justcommons.com for base cards needs. Very good site!
9. For long term: Pass the hobby down to someone else (child, friend, kid down the street, etc.)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

About sportlots...best advice I could give would be the following:

Always keep a running list of sellers who never send the cards, do so beyond poorly, or send the wrong version of the card. And if you buy, make it worth your while. Look to see if the guy has anything else you need for your sets before you pay.

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011

LAST CHANCE! HELP YOUR FELLOW COLLECTORS! WIN PRIZES!

Thanks for all the great responses! I will give this another day or two and then I will award prizes.

Members online

Latest posts