Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can water damage REALLY do this to an auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
EDIT: I don't think I'm getting scammed any more but I've looked this card over up and down and I can't tell what the hell is going on. The auto looks this exact same. This is the card I sold on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270913737316#ht_500wt_969

It is a refractor autographed in BLUE INK (of course) and it was #'d 003/199 in gold serial #'ing (of course) on the back. I don't have the scan of the back of the card, but I hope my reputation as a member and ebay seller would lead you to believe me.

I send the card out the day after the buyer pays, as usual, and a day or two later (I cannot remember but it was a rather quick response b/c he's in Baltimore, MD and I'm in Laurel, MD, I get a message stating (paraphrasing):

The card appears to have been sitting out in the sun and has watermarks all over it. This is not the same card that was pictured in your auction.

At this point, anything this low of a sale, I don't question. I just request he sends the card back and I refund them in full b/c I believe it to be buyer's remorse and I don't want negative feedback. I SHIPPED THE CARD WELL PROTECTED IN A BUBBLE ENVELOPE.

Well I get the card today. Here is what I got:

IMG-7.jpg

Immediately I'm pissed b/c I think its a bait and switch and this guy scammed me. No way that this is my card. Look at the auto in GREEN. Look at all the water marks on the front of the card.

Then I flip it over and see this on the back:

IMG_0001-10.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see it, but if the upper right hand corner where the serial #'ing is SUPPOSED to be, there is a VERY faded "003/199". It is NOT in gold. It is basically and indentation.

Is this legit and a card "sitting in water and the sun" could turn an ink auto from blue to green and completely remove the gold lettering of the serial number?

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Can someone technically sound post a picture of my ebay picture?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
So...he's had it for 2 months?

I edited my post. I listed it on Feb 11, lol. He paid on April 11th, so it could not have been more than a couple of days b/c I remember people I file non-paying claims against and he wasn't one. So it was a couple weeks ago when he bought it. He paid on the 11th, I shipped on the 12th, I can guarantee it.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I edited my post. I listed it on Feb 11, lol. He paid on April 11th, so it could not have been more than a couple of days b/c I remember people I file non-paying claims against and he wasn't one. So it was a couple weeks ago when he bought it. He paid on the 11th, I shipped on the 12th, I can guarantee it.

Ok, I misunderstood.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
After tinkering around in photoshop there is no doubt its the same card.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
If you click this small picture you will see the 2 cards on top of each other. You can see there is no difference between autographs.
same.jpg

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Well I get the card today. Here is what I got:

IMG-7.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!hEE7uMNmo!lBPOF1Es8E!~~60_3.JPG

These look like the same exact card. Unless he signed 2 stickers in the exact same spot and Topps placed them both on 003/199 cards so that the autographs matched up perfectly in the same place.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Ok, I'm not against believing it's the same card. I mean I viewed it myself and it wouldn't surprise me if it was. How the hell does the serial #'ing completely rub off? Did he stick the card in vinegar?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Was there really a question that they weren't the same card?

The buyer droped it in something and screwed you over. Post his id, block, move on.

Sucks, but what can you do? ebay won't do anything for you.

Carl - the serial # is just foil that is machine stamped into the surface of the card. Water would easily take that off.

Take a cheap serial #'d card and put it in water. The guy's kid probably did it or something.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Was there really a question that they weren't the same card?

The buyer droped it in something and screwed you over. Post his id, block, move on.

Sucks, but what can you do? ebay won't do anything for you.

Carl - the serial # is just foil that is machine stamped into the surface of the card. Water would easily take that off.

Take a cheap serial #'d card and put it in water. The guy's kid probably did it or something.

Yes.
ID please.
So I can block.

Members online

Latest posts