Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

THE GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME TEAM - by position - Relief Pitcher

Who is the greatest overall relief pitcher of all-time? (please select your top-two)

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Last edited:

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I voted for Mariano Rivera and Billy Wagner. I will be surprised if Mo doesn't get the most votes...

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I know it's still early on, but I am surprised Hoffman is not dominating the second place vote....

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I voted for Mo and Eckersley. Mo is the best reliever/closer of all-time. I've been to a ton of baseball games and a bunch of playoff Rangers and Giants and Jets games and no moment in sports that I've witnessed rivals a one or two run Yankee lead with Mariano jogging in from the outfield to take the mound in the 9th.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I'd be surprised if Mo's votes don't equal the combined votes for all the others.
This too. lol.....but you never know with FCB!

I know it's still early on, but I am surprised Hoffman is not dominating the second place vote....
I am not.

I voted Wagner over Hoffman because besides saves he dominates him in every stat category.

Wagner ERA+ 187
Hoffman ERA+ 141

Wagner WHIP .998
Hoffman WHIP 1.058

Wagner K/BB + K/9 3.99/11.9
Hoffman K/BB + K/9 3.69/9.4

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
For me the end of Wagner's career was definitely subpar. Overall, I think he is one of the best closers of all-time but I can't imagine Eckersley not winning the second place vote

This too. lol.....but you never know with FCB!

I am not.

I voted Wagner over Hoffman because besides saves he dominates him in every stat category.

Wagner ERA+ 187
Hoffman ERA+ 141

Wagner WHIP .998
Hoffman WHIP 1.058

Wagner K/BB + K/9 3.99/11.9
Hoffman K/BB + K/9 3.69/9.4

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
For me the end of Wagner's career was definitely subpar. Overall, I think he is one of the best closers of all-time but I can't imagine Eckersley not winning the second place vote

Are we talking about the same Wagner? LOL

I am a big fan of Eck and he definitely had a couple of the best seasons ever for a RP but I dunno I will always see him as a SP considering he pitched half his career as one.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Mo is the best CLOSER of all time, and he gets one of my votes. He's good for one inning, and occasionally a little more. Eckersley is the 2nd best CLOSER of all time, but my vote for second greatest relief pitcher goes to Gossage (with all apologies to Dr. Mike). He could go for three innings if you need him, and he scared the hell out of me as a kid. If he had retired a month earlier (before the 1994 strike), he would have had a career ERA under 3.00 (it was 2.99 on July 1st).

Sea Raider

Jul 4, 2011
I gotta give some love to Roy Face, who still holds the record for most single season wins in relief with 18 (17 of them in a row).

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Are we talking about the same Wagner? LOL

I am a big fan of Eck and he definitely had a couple of the best seasons ever for a RP but I dunno I will always see him as a SP considering he pitched half his career as one.

I see where you're coming from but it doesn't matter as Rivera will win this poll without any doubt

Frow

I find it relatively difficult to vote for any of these modern day "closers." When without you the team has a 91% chance of winning anyway and the guy considered to be the best of all time converts 88% of the time, how impressive is that really?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
FWIW, Only ECK and Fingers ever won the CY Young AND MVP (of players on this list). Mo never did.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
FWIW, Only ECK and Fingers ever won the CY Young AND MVP (of players on this list). Mo never did.

You're talking about one season vs. an entire career. Rivera has more WS than eck and fingers combined. No knock against either of them I believe Eck is number 2 and fingers is number 3-4 all-time but Mo is Mo

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
You're talking about one season vs. an entire career. Rivera has more WS than eck and fingers combined. No knock against either of them I believe Eck is number 2 and fingers is number 3-4 all-time but Mo is Mo

Mo had little to do with an entire team making it to the World Series a bunch of times. I hate when people bring that up in the arguement for Mo. It's completely irrelevant to the discussion. I mean, by that rationale, Derek Jeter is far superior to Ted Williams...

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Mo had little to do with an entire team making it to the World Series a bunch of times. I hate when people bring that up in the arguement for Mo. It's completely irrelevant to the discussion. I mean, by that rationale, Derek Jeter is far superior to Ted Williams...

I'm sorry I just simply cannot agree with 'little to do'. I agree my comparison was biased because the Yankees have had good bats in their lineup for years but then comparing Jeter to Williams is completely different. There are 8 other hitters in the lineup. For the last 15 or so years there have been probably over 50 different hitters in the Yankees starting lineup probably more but only closer. When you have a one-two run lead in the ninth Mariano is your man to lock the game down. I know you know your baseball stuff so I won't insult your intelligence but I hope you do understand how good an elite closer is to a team..

Members online

Latest posts