Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Bryce Harper have a legitimate shot at making the all-star team?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
If he's one of the Final Vote candidates, he'll make it. It would be to MLB's advantage to have Harper visible during the ASG in one form or another, not to mention the fact that Washington is looking like a legit contender this year so far.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
If he's one of the Final Vote candidates, he'll make it. It would be to MLB's advantage to have Harper visible during the ASG in one form or another, not to mention the fact that Washington is looking like a legit contender this year so far.

Yeah I agree it's great for baseball if Harper gets put on the team. Kind of like Jeremy Lin and the All-Star weekend in basketball. You take advantage of the situation.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Yeah I agree it's great for baseball if Harper gets put on the team. Kind of like Jeremy Lin and the All-Star weekend in basketball. You take advantage of the situation.

Lin was a great story because he was not supposed to do anything and was cut and when given the opportunity, the kid produced like we haven't seen in years. These managers want "the kid" to earn it the hard way and not spoil him too early. They are jealous of his past succes, he's 19 and they want to hold him back early for the vets to get an A.S slot.

sscards

Jul 18, 2010
Lin was a great story because he was not supposed to do anything and was cut and when given the opportunity, the kid produced like we haven't seen in years. These managers want "the kid" to earn it the hard way and not spoil him too early. They are jealous of his past succes, he's 19 and they want to hold him back early for the vets to get an A.S slot.
He has deserved an AS spot more than Jeter did last year for sure. Why should veterans that are over the hill (not saying Jeter is) get a spot on the AS team if they aren't performing. ASG shouldn't be judged on past success but on current success.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
He has deserved an AS spot more than Jeter did last year for sure. Why should veterans that are over the hill (not saying Jeter is) get a spot on the AS team if they aren't performing. ASG shouldn't be judged on past success but on current success.

All Star games are not performance recognition. They are a popularity contest, no more no less. Every year I see people say "so and so should make it". No, the players who get the most votes should make it and the rest of the roster gets fleshed out with players who are playing well and players who play for whoever is managing the team. That's just how it is.

sscards

Jul 18, 2010
All Star games are not performance recognition. They are a popularity contest, no more no less. Every year I see people say "so and so should make it". No, the players who get the most votes should make it and the rest of the roster gets fleshed out with players who are playing well and players who play for whoever is managing the team. That's just how it is.
But the AS game impacts the WS!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think the biggest thing that's going to hurt Harper is every team needing a rep. The Dbacks are going to have an OF as a rep so that takes one OF reserve right there. I agree though, if he makes the one of the five for the Fan Vote, he's in. I don't think it'll be close either.

Despite my predictions, McCutchen wont' start and he's going. Then you have Ethier, Melky, Cargo, Giancarlo, Michael Bourn, and Hunter Pence - all who I could see making the ASG as a reserve.

This is assuming Kemp, Beltran, and Braun are the starters.

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011
What about Trout? Could he be an all-star? The Angels' winning % with him compared to without him is insane!

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
Cole Hamels applauds your efforts, but doesn't think so
tumblr_lseidzvec41qziymyo1_1280_large.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_lseidzvec41qziymyo1_1280_large.jpg
    tumblr_lseidzvec41qziymyo1_1280_large.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 7

noaskiecards

Sep 19, 2008
I'd say decent...If anything, he'd have a better chance if he was struggling...now that he's performing, his popularity is based on playing amazingly well and not purely on hype so that could hurt him long term

I call it the "Machado Effect"

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts