Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps and the SSP trend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I am aware they have used variations in the past and still been able to keep the players in the base set with traditional rookies. I would like to see this as their continued method however with topps having put SSPs in everything baseball will the trend continue in football? This years class would be a stellar opportunity for them to duplicate the Harper experience from base and archives. A griffin or luck SSP would keep a steady buzz.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Maybe it's just me, but I get tired of the SSPs. Yes, to some extent, they are fun to chase. Yes, if you pull one, you can make some coin. I just don't know if continued gimmicks are what will help.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Topps did have a somewhat humorous Favre SSP card in the 2008 set but this was in addition to the regular print card. A gimmick for master set collectors to chase which is fine but I would not like seeing SSP cards as part of the regular set. Average Joe Collector is not gonna want to drop a c-note on some Luck or Griffin card to complete his set. I like the Chrome photo variations and do hope Topps brings back the veteran variations as well. Hopefully they can cut them so 90% of them are not off center like the 2011 stuff.

I like that topps is doing things to improve their base sets value but including SSPs in the checklist is silly. The base set has always been the cost friendly and collectible product.. Now I fear they are pushing this to the wayside. If they want to increase value without detracting from the set they could increase the size of the checklist to 600.

uw91

Jun 23, 2011
Puget Sound, WA
Regular Set 1-200 (not including variation cards w/ # and Letter)

Card
Jake Locker 1
Jake Locker 1A
Cam Newton 2
Andrew Luck 3
Andrew Luck 3A

I'd be down for that. I'm actually a bit tired of all the dang inserts and game used garbage that they are tossing in there. I remember back in 1990 when I was a kid trying to find one of those dang Donruss Elite cards. SP the RCs, allow a person to make a set, and put some fun back into collecting. Oh, and dump the dang press plates.

I like what Upper Deck has done with their standard Football. RC, RC Variation, Auto, 2 cool inserts.

Topps did have a somewhat humorous Favre SSP card in the 2008 set but this was in addition to the regular print card. A gimmick for master set collectors to chase which is fine but I would not like seeing SSP cards as part of the regular set. Average Joe Collector is not gonna want to drop a c-note on some Luck or Griffin card to complete his set. I like the Chrome photo variations and do hope Topps brings back the veteran variations as well. Hopefully they can cut them so 90% of them are not off center like the 2011 stuff.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I don't like ssp cards because as a set builder/collector...it's too much of a pain in the ass and if I get lazy and just buy the factory set...I'm really still not complete now am I? God, I hate being OCD!!!!

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I like them, if they're done in moderation. I'll be shocked if there aren't SSPs of Luck and RGIII this year

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Not a big fan of SSP in either sport, especially as a "Base" card, but I think the smaller set size in Football makes it an even worse idea...

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I love them because they add value without adding cost to a product.

Sent from my VS840 4GI using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

Latest posts