Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay Stories Blog - Joe DiMaggio “bat knob” card: $7K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TenaciousJDD

I saw this on the eBay homepage just now. The bat knob cards seem to have caught someone's eye there. The write up was definitely done by someone who isn't familiar with the hobby, but the best part are the comments. Responding to a story about a card that will sell for thousands of dollars with tales of woe and lamentations on the death of the hobby strikes me as a bit tone deaf.

http://ebay-stories.com/joe-dimaggio-bat-knob-card-7k

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
The comments are the best part... so many clueless people!

"The cards and comic market died years ago. New stuff sells because collectors hope to get a rarity that is worth money. Also, yuppies invest in the hopes of getting lucky. Just try selling old cards or comics from the 70s 80s or 90s. There is virtually no market for them."

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
  • Joe Iacocca says:

June 27, 2012 at 12:36 am
    The baseball card hobby killed itself. This is why.
    Is a lopped-off bat knob from the Yankee Clippers stick kinda neat?
    Sure, but the ugliest thing that ever happened to baseball cards was taking the hobby from an innocent pleasure enjoyed by boys at .50 cents a back into this bizarre “competitive-collectible” that costs insane sums of money, obsessed over by financially illiterate manchildren.
    I watched that market kill itself off in the early 1990s. Ebay was just the headshot.
    These sorts of gimmicks are the last dying gasps from an industry desperate to remain relevant.
  • TheNYClipper says:
    June 27, 2012 at 8:55 am
    IMHO, destroying an original bat or vintage jersey to insert its parts in a piece of cardboard is going to far.
    Btw, I think Topps stopped inserting gum in packs sometime after 1990 or 1991. “Collectors” were complaining that the product was staining cards and affecting their ‘grades’.
    This of course happened when the hobby became an industry with investors taking over regular collectors.
    A sad era for sure.
  • Bob Bently says:
    June 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    I recall the decline of baseball cards parallel with comic books. They can overlay a few cards in 24k gold & I’d still have absolutely no interest in returning to baseball card collecting. There’s just no market for them anymore. The local auction I go to normally had 5 huge boxes full of baseball cards this past Saturday. ALL 5 boxes sold for $1.00. There wasn’t a person among many who cared for these dying relics. I should have bought them for $1.00. I’d get my moneys worth in them as firewood. I could have heated my home for 2 days for a dollar. I wasn’t thinking clearly.

Members online

Latest posts