Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is your NL MVP at this point in the season?

Who is your NL MVP thus far

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Three weeks ago it wasn't even close - it was Votto. McCutchen has changed the picture completely.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
If McCutchen has changed the picture recently, then so has Braun. These 3 guys are all candidates for various reasons. Your poll should include all 3 and then an other.

Bad feelings will result in fewer votes for Braun, but it shouldn't.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'd actually vote for Wright, he's got even less help than Cutch.

And if you go by the "Peyton Manning proved he's the real MVP by missing season" theory, then it's definitely gotta be Kemp. I know they're missing a coupla other players, but geez is their Offense horrid...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If McCutchen has changed the picture recently, then so has Braun. These 3 guys are all candidates for various reasons. Your poll should include all 3 and then an other.

Bad feelings will result in fewer votes for Braun, but it shouldn't.

Braun's not in the discussion the way the Brewers are playing, meaning he would not get any first place votes. McCutchen, Votto, and Wright all have better numbers than Braun and their teams are in playoff contention at this point.

I could however see David Wright getting a 1st place vote, I'll see if I can add him.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Braun's not in the discussion the way the Brewers are playing, meaning he would not get any first place votes. McCutchen, Votto, and Wright all have better numbers than Braun and their teams are in playoff contention at this point.
homer Brewer fans will rip me for the statement, but this is the reason Braun won the award last year.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

I could however see David Wright getting a 1st place vote, I'll see if I can add him.

Not true.

And so, by that rationale, all of Kemp's vote from last year were incorrectly cast?

But I forgot about Wright, he deserves mention as well.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Not true.

And so, by that rationale, all of Kemp's vote from last year were incorrectly cast?

But I forgot about Wright, he deserves mention as well.

Not incorrectly cast, but there also weren't 3-4 players playing better then Kemp and also that had their teams in playoff contention. That's what puts Braun out of the race so far this year. There are a few players playing better than him AND have their team in playoff contention.

I would've voted for Braun over Kemp last year. He had an amazing season and he helped carry his team into the NLCS. This year, so far, no. In fact, I wouldn't even put him in my top 5 right now. Maybe 5th, but that is something I would have to really think about. I can already think of 4 that I would easily put ahead of Braun. Possibly 5.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Not incorrectly cast, but there also weren't 3-4 players playing better then Kemp and also that had their teams in playoff contention. That's what puts Braun out of the race so far this year. There are a few players playing better than him AND have their team in playoff contention.

I would've voted for Braun over Kemp last year. He had an amazing season and he helped carry his team into the NLCS. This year, so far, no. In fact, I wouldn't even put him in my top 5 right now. Maybe 5th, but that is something I would have to really think about. I can already think of 4 that I would easily put ahead of Braun. Possibly 5.

I'm sorry, but I have to hear your criteria for the people other than Votto and Cutch you are putting over Braun. If you're going to say Melky or D. Wright, then I'm going to point you to the statistics for both power and speed (Braun's most underrated tool). Batting average isn't everything, and Braun ain't no slouch in that department either. And it's not much of a factor when you lead the league in HRs and are second in RBIs.

"maybe top 5" comes off as "I just don't like that guy".

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
Braun then McCutchen, but those with votes will not pick Braun just because, which is not fair. He is actually having a better year without Prince behind him.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Braun then McCutchen, but those with votes will not pick Braun just because, which is not fair. He is actually having a better year without Prince behind him.

Better year than last year but not better than McCutchen or Votto.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I'm sorry, but I have to hear your criteria for the people other than Votto and Cutch you are putting over Braun. If you're going to say Melky or D. Wright, then I'm going to point you to the statistics for both power and speed (Braun's most underrated tool). Batting average isn't everything, and Braun ain't no slouch in that department either. And it's not much of a factor when you lead the league in HRs and are second in RBIs.

"maybe top 5" comes off as "I just don't like that guy".

You are trying to argue for Braun exactly what Kemp fans were trying to argue AGAINST Braun last year. It's comical that you Brewer fans can't see that. Statistically Kemp had more homers and more stolen bases and had a better season! But most Brewers fans were arguing the Dodgers weren't in the playoff hunt, therefore that separated Braun from Kemp (and I agreed, I would've had 1. Braun 2. Kemp on my ballot last year if I had one, I think the right guy won the MVP last year even though it was CLOSE)

Now that the Brewers are sitting in what...3rd or 4th place and under .500 and Braun is having a better year, the playoff contention argument is thrown out the window AND on top of him not even having the best offensive season in the NL. You have Votto, McCutchen, and Wright all having better seasons the Braun and their teams are either in 1st or WC contention. Wright has less HR and SB - yeah yeah - whatever, he gets on base way more than Braun and has a higher OPS. Braun isn't light years above Wright to put him ahead in the MVP race at this point. And Wright drives in just as many runs as Braun. All important factors.

Easily ahead of Braun in MVP race: McCutchen, Votto, Wright, Dickey

Guys I was thinking could be ahead of Braun in the race b/c of how much they meant to their team but there is a debate: Ruiz, Melky Cabrera, Carlos Beltran (edited this one in b/c I forgot him)

But you see, I've already thrown out so many other names besides Braun that he really shouldn't be in the discussion. I'm sure you read "Carlos Ruiz" or "Melky Cabrera" name and just laugh at the thought of them being in the discussion of MVP right now.

That's how I feel about Braun. He's having a great year but he's not in the discussion.

Last edited:

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
And if you go by the "Peyton Manning proved he's the real MVP by missing season" theory, then it's definitely gotta be Kemp. I know they're missing a coupla other players, but geez is their Offense horrid...

I might agree with you if the Dodgers weren't in first place.

Latest posts