Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What can the Cubs expect to get for Ryan Dempster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
There has been more rumors surrounding Ryan Dempster than any player on the trade market. It is stated that there are 10-12 teams in on Dempster, including the Dodgers, Tigers, Braves, Pirates, Red Sox, Nationals, Orioles.

I personally think he will end up with either the Nationals, Red Sox, or Tigers.

What type of package do you expect the Cubs to get?

I think one benefit of the Cubs current position is that they can take on high end talent that is 2-4 years from the bigs, where as some other teams are looking for major league or near major league talent for their SP's.

I am very curious to see if the Cubs can turn Dempster, Garza, Soriano, Lahair, Marmol into enough depth to make the Cubs system a 10 system.

Skrip

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
Hopefully a solid 3rd baseman prospect, and a nice pitching prospect. I will say Valbuena has been pretty solid as a stop gap this year after Ian Stewart sucked it up and went on the DL. Probably worked out better that way anyway. Not sure Vitters is the long term solution either, but it would be nice to see him get a shot later this season to see what he can do. Cubs are playing pretty good ball right now.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I personally believe the Cubs are going to Push for pitching in ALL deals made this trade season. I can't name a single Cubs pitching prospect I am excited about.

Now position players is Different.....Soler, Baez, Candelario, Szczur, Brett Jackson, Albert Almora, and even Vitters has been good this year.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I don't know why so many people are down on Vitters. Guy is only 22 and is definitely improving. I doubt he ends up being great, but could I see .280 with 20 HR out of him? Sure.

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
It's defiantly a log jam but that's good to have these days. I'm crossing my fingers on Vitters.

I could see Demp going to the Dodgers and Garza to the Nats.

Theo & Jeds plan hopefully can bring in some more pitching prospects.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
So, I am honestly surprised the Cubs haven't already traded him. I figured it would have been done last night. The Dodgers officially have an offer on table. I am very interested to see what this offer entails.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
So, I am honestly surprised the Cubs haven't already traded him. I figured it would have been done last night. The Dodgers officially have an offer on table. I am very interested to see what this offer entails.

Pretty sure Zach Lee won't be included in the deal, if it goes down. Maybe Garrett Gould or Chris Reed (both are scheduled to pitch tonight, so if either one gets yanked early....)

Last edited:

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
With as well as he is pitching, I would think it might take quite a bit more than Just Gould or Reed. But, that is maybe my biased Cubs view.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
With as well as he is pitching, I would think it might take quite a bit more than Just Gould or Reed. But, that is maybe my biased Cubs view.

Concur. They could add a position player to the mix. Maybe someone like Joc Pederson, Kyle Russell or Alex Castellanos.

guzman4cy

Aug 18, 2009
I think the only move the Cubs make this trade deadline is the one to move Dempster for a prospect. I don't believe in the reports that Theo is looking to move Dempster asap in order to focus on moving Garza in the week leading up to the deadline. The bottom line is, as of this moment, statistically speaking (for this season), Dempster is the best arm on the market. He should, and most likely will, land a better prospect by making teams more desperate by holding onto him.

To me, Matt Garza is better kept on the team, at least until this time next season. Are the Cubs going to turn into contenders overnight? No. However, it'd be nice to have a culture of .450-.500 ball while Castro, Rizzo, and Samardzija are in the majors. Worst case scenario, you move Garza at next years deadline, hoping he pitches much better in the first half as opposed to how he did this past year. Garza underachieved for his talent level in the first half of the season, and I fully expect him to rebound from that. The Cubs aren't getting any crazy offers for Garza as of now, and it seems that teams aren't valuing having the extra year of control over him.

If the Nationals are serious about their Strasburg innings limit, then I think they are going to be the ones who get it done for a Dempster deal. I'm not very familiar with how people value their prospects (minus the top guys like Rendon). Would someone like Alex Meyer be a reasonable possibility?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I think the only move the Cubs make this trade deadline is the one to move Dempster for a prospect. I don't believe in the reports that Theo is looking to move Dempster asap in order to focus on moving Garza in the week leading up to the deadline. The bottom line is, as of this moment, statistically speaking (for this season), Dempster is the best arm on the market. He should, and most likely will, land a better prospect by making teams more desperate by holding onto him.

To me, Matt Garza is better kept on the team, at least until this time next season. Are the Cubs going to turn into contenders overnight? No. However, it'd be nice to have a culture of .450-.500 ball while Castro, Rizzo, and Samardzija are in the majors. Worst case scenario, you move Garza at next years deadline, hoping he pitches much better in the first half as opposed to how he did this past year. Garza underachieved for his talent level in the first half of the season, and I fully expect him to rebound from that. The Cubs aren't getting any crazy offers for Garza as of now, and it seems that teams aren't valuing having the extra year of control over him.

If the Nationals are serious about their Strasburg innings limit, then I think they are going to be the ones who get it done for a Dempster deal. I'm not very familiar with how people value their prospects (minus the top guys like Rendon). Would someone like Alex Meyer be a reasonable possibility?

Interesting idea

Frow

No, worst case scenario is Garza goes down and they get nothing for him. I think we really won't see any interest on Garza until the other arms are off the market. Let's get Dempster moved and then whoever misses out on him might got a bit harder after Garza. Also don't forget that Hamels and possible Greinke are still on the market as a possible rental. The lack of a compensation pick might make Garza the #2 guy to go for.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
No, worst case scenario is Garza goes down and they get nothing for him. I think we really won't see any interest on Garza until the other arms are off the market. Let's get Dempster moved and then whoever misses out on him might got a bit harder after Garza. Also don't forget that Hamels and possible Greinke are still on the market as a possible rental. The lack of a compensation pick might make Garza the #2 guy to go for.

I agree specifically with the last part of your statement. With Garza being under control for another year, it opens up his potential suitor pool significantly. How about the Royals? Orioles? Etc, teams that might not truly be in the race this year, but could really use a #2 starter for all of next year as well.

Frow

I agree specifically with the last part of your statement. With Garza being under control for another year, it opens up his potential suitor pool significantly. How about the Royals? Orioles? Etc, teams that might not truly be in the race this year, but could really use a #2 starter for all of next year as well.

I don't see the Royals doing much. Dayton Moore has gone on record several times that they are not mortgaging the future for right now like they did in 2006 or 05. Teams are going to want Wil Myers or Jake Ordarizzi and that's just not going to happen. Orioles could use a shot in the arm, but they seem overly hesitant to do any moves.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
How do the Royals plan on adding ANY starting pitching to arguabley the Worst rotation in baseball? At some point they will need to go out and get a few guys to anchor that staff.

**And I agree it probably won't happen either, but it does make some sense to me. I think they could get a deal done without including those two guys.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012

With LA also looking for some offense, maybe the Cubs will add Lahair to the deal to get Lee. I have to say I'm not impressed with the Dodgers prospects but I'm guessing that's where Demps ends up. I really wish the Braves would offer Minor or Teheran but know that is unlikely

Frow

How do the Royals plan on adding ANY starting pitching to arguabley the Worst rotation in baseball? At some point they will need to go out and get a few guys to anchor that staff.

**And I agree it probably won't happen either, but it does make some sense to me. I think they could get a deal done without including those two guys.

That's an excellent question. Even with having the AAA guys making spot starts they haven't found anyone that is really shown any promise...maybe Mazzero. They can't really sell or buy right now so might just have to stand pat and take their chances with a rotation that is duct taped together. Then hopefully next year Blake Wood, Paulino, and Duffy make it back to the rotation and with Joakim Soria back maybe they can move Crowe or Tim Collins out of the bullpen.

Members online

Latest posts