Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cameron Maybin will be the Marlins leadoff hitter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Well, he's going to get plenty AB's this year. I'm not sure this is the smartest move. Puts a lot of pressure on him IMO. Maybe he'll have a Chris Young type season. Big power with a lower average. Hanley is being moved to the third spot.

Miami Herald

Cameron Maybin's number one goal with the Marlins is simply to make the team out of spring training. If he is the first batter announced for the Marlins on Opening Day, it would make it all the sweeter.

''If I'm in there, I'll definitely be excited,'' Maybin said. ``But if I'm leading off, I will be even more excited.''

With Hanley Ramirez's expected drop to third in the order, chances are good that Maybin will become the new leader of the pack.

Emilio Bonifacio is another possibility, al though a roster spot for him is not as certain.

''If that's where they think I can help the team, I have no problem stepping into that leadoff role,'' Maybin said of the Marlins. ``We had a guy [Ramirez] who did it well the last couple of years, so there's a lot of advice I can get from him.''

Although manager Fredi Gonzalez has declined to reveal his lineup plans, he has provided strong hints that a first-to-third move for Ramirez is in the works. Maybin is the logical choice to take over the top spot, even though his leadoff experience is negligible.

Maybin, 21, said he led off in high school, which wasn't that long ago. Otherwise, his visits to the top have been sporadic and infrequent. When Ramirez was out of the lineup with shoulder soreness late last season, Maybin took his place in the leadoff position and went 12 for 25.

FIRST IMPRESSION

Nobody could expect Maybin to continue at a .480 clip. But the impression he left from his September audition was considerable.

''Look, we'd all love him to hit .320 and have a .400 on-base percentage,'' Marlins hitting coach Jim Presley said. ``We'll have to be realistic about it. He's got some learning to do. But this kid has athleticism, and he's intelligent enough to [bat first] for us.

``I mean, this is a smart kid. From the neck up, this kid's pretty good to go along with his physical skills.''

In Ramirez, the Marlins have been blessed with one of the best leadoff hitters in the majors the past three seasons. Ramirez not only combined speed and a penchant for getting on base, two key ingredients for a leadoff hitter, but he also added a power element that few others possessed.

''Eight to 10 times a year, it's going to be 1-0 first pitch,'' Presley said about Ramirez's ability to lead off a game with a home run.

Maybin isn't devoid of power himself. After all, his first major-league hit was a home run off Roger Clemens when he was still with the Detroit Tigers.

Maybin hit 13 home runs last season for Double A Carolina, and a couple of his homers last spring training were blasts.

But Maybin also struck out often, whiffing an average of once for nearly every three at-bats, especially early in the year for Carolina. As the season progressed, he made strides to overcome his strikeouts.

''I was hitting a lot of home runs and getting a lot of strikeouts,'' Maybin said.

``So I just started trying to make more contact. It was just me cutting down on my swings and just trying to get back to the same approach I had when I was with the Tigers organization. I took what they gave me, and I took my base hits. And I don't think there's anything wrong with just taking a base hit.''

LESSON LEARNED

Maybin said he will keep that approach regardless of whether or not he leads off.

''That's what I was working on the whole year, seeing more pitches, strike-zone discipline, making more contract and using the whole field,'' he said.

``And that's what I will continue to do. It'll benefit me if I keep that approach.''

Bonifacio could also factor into the leadoff equation if he wins a roster spot.

''Bonifacio could do it,'' Presley said. ``He's your typical leadoff guy. He can fly.

``I haven't seen him as much as Cameron, but I like both of them.''

Maybin, though, has the edge for the leadoff role.

''For Maybin, it's getting on base, stealing a bag, taking a walk,'' Presley said.

``He's going to bunt a little bit. Still, there's a lot of things he has to learn. And, let's face it, he'll struggle at times.

``But he's a good enough athlete and good enough hitter that he'll make the adjustments.''

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
If true, I'm very pleased with this decision. It's a showing of confidence in Maybin by Fredi. He obviously believes Maybin has improved his plate discipline and will cut back on his K's. After all, a leadoff hitter is considered to be one who gets on base much more often than he whiffs.

And of course, if he does keep the K's down, there's nothing stopping him from a 30/30 season. He's almost as powerful as he is fast.

Phishmon23

Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA
sounds like he's got a good shot this april!

what does everyone this the marlins 1-8 will look like this year with maybin leading off and hanley hitting 3rd.

-J

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Rotoworld.com just posted it.

The Miami Herald speculates that Cameron Maybin will take over as the Marlins' leadoff hitter with the team planning to move Hanley Ramirez to the No. 3 spot.
The newspaper offers Emilio Bonifacio as another possible leadoff option, but he's not guaranteed a roster spot, let alone a starting job. Maybin posted a .389 on-base percentage in the minors, including .375 last season at Triple-A, and has 25-steal speed. His batting average may not be pretty because of a high strikeout rate, but Maybin has the secondary skills to make an impact right away.
Source: Miami Herald

pujolsmvp2005

Nov 12, 2008
I dont believe that he will make the MLB roster. Explain to me how a guy is a "shoe-in" for a major league spot after a year ago hit an unimpressive .279 with 123 strikeouts in AA? I'll concede that he hit .500 in the majors last year...BUT IN ONLY 8 GAMES! Common, do the Marlins really need to bring him up knowing that he could really use 3 months to a year in AAA? Not sure where the logic is here if the hype is true. I would think that it is more detrimental to a young players' confidence to initially give him a position on opening day only to send him back down or bench him (ie. Justin Upton last year)...than to start him in AAA, have him dominate and THEN bring him up. I guess thats why I am in health care and not a GM or director of player developement. What do I know.....

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
pujolsmvp2005 said:
I dont believe that he will make the MLB roster. Explain to me how a guy is a "shoe-in" for a major league spot after a year ago hit an unimpressive .279 with 123 strikeouts in AA? I'll concede that he hit .500 in the majors last year...BUT IN ONLY 8 GAMES! Common, do the Marlins really need to bring him up knowing that he could really use 3 months to a year in AAA? Not sure where the logic is here if the hype is true. I would think that it is more detrimental to a young players' confidence to initially give him a position on opening day only to send him back down or bench him (ie. Justin Upton last year)...than to start him in AAA, have him dominate and THEN bring him up. I guess thats why I am in health care and not a GM or director of player developement. What do I know.....

They wouldn't have traded for him if they didn't plan to play him as soon as they felt he was ready. He was the centerpiece in that trade, from their perspective. And I don't believe anyone is considered to be a "shoe-in". After all, the exhibition games haven't even begun.

But I'll be rooting for him.

pujolsmvp2005

Nov 12, 2008
J.P....he hit .279 in and stuck out 129 times AA!! Not AAA....AA. You feel he is ready for a full time major league position because according to the article in the Miami Herald, they are talking about him as the #1 spot in the line up and I strongly disagree. I think just because he made a big splash in a little pond (the little pond being 8 games) last september, doesnt give a true indicator of what is to supercede this spring. Remember Justin Upton batting close to .400 in April last year??? Then what happened, he took a nice seat on the pine and never really put up those spectacular numbers the rest of the season. But, everyone thought he was the next ____you fill in the blank.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Big fan of maybin hence why I drafted him, but not confident in the 30 Hr power, if he gets to 30 HR then I can see posey getting close to there at least.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
pujolsmvp2005 said:
J.P....he hit .279 in and stuck out 129 times AA!! Not AAA....AA. You feel he is ready for a full time major league position because according to the article in the Miami Herald, they are talking about him as the #1 spot in the line up and I strongly disagree. I think just because he made a big splash in a little pond (the little pond being 8 games) last september, doesnt give a true indicator of what is to supercede this spring. Remember Justin Upton batting close to .400 in April last year??? Then what happened, he took a nice seat on the pine and never really put up those spectacular numbers the rest of the season. But, everyone thought he was the next ____you fill in the blank.

For the record, I don't believe Upton spent as much time in the minors as Maybin. In addition, he didn't spend any time in AAA before getting called up, either.

It's not for me or you to decide if he's ready, but the people who have been watching him on a daily basis obviously beg to differ.

pujolsmvp2005

Nov 12, 2008
Jaypers said:
pujolsmvp2005 said:

For the record, I don't believe Upton spent as much time in the minors as Maybin. In addition, he didn't spend any time in AAA before getting called up, either.

It's not for me or you to decide if he's ready, but the people who have been watching him on a daily basis obviously beg to differ.
I agree its not for me or you to decide if he's ready but this is where we voice our opinions if he is ready or not and it irritates me to no end that people whether they are card collectors/investors or the press, slot a "kid" to play at a level where he is clearly not ready to play at. And I base my "clearly not ready" statement on his AA performance, not his 8 games in late september. Why even get his hopes up? It only sets him up for failure and disappointment when he doesnt make the MLB squad or worse...makes it, fails, and is sent down. This is all I'm saying. My opinion, nothing more, nothing less..

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
pujolsmvp2005 said:
Jaypers said:
pujolsmvp2005 said:

I agree its not for me or you to decide if he's ready but this is where we voice our opinions if he is ready or not and it irritates me to no end that people whether they are card collectors/investors or the press, slot a "kid" to play at a level where he is clearly not ready to play at. And I base my "clearly not ready" statement on his AA performance, not his 8 games in late september. Why even get his hopes up? It only sets him up for failure and disappointment when he doesnt make the MLB squad or worse...makes it, fails, and is sent down. This is all I'm saying. My opinion, nothing more, nothing less..

How about we see how he does in ST before rushing to judgment? You and the Herald make it seem as though it's a done deal he'll make the team.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
pujolsmvp2005 said:
Jaypers said:
pujolsmvp2005 said:

You are a Pujols fan, no? I seem to recall Albert getting a starting spot without going through AAA. Why can't other players do it?

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I hope it works out, but I would rather see the Marlins bring him along like the Tigers did with Granderson. Start him at the bottom of the order with less pressure and eventually move him to lead off. Maybin's power/speed/K combo reminds me a lot of Granderson.

Alex

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
UMich92 said:
I hope it works out, but I would rather see the Marlins bring him along like the Tigers did with Granderson. Start him at the bottom of the order with less pressure and eventually move him to lead off. Maybin's power/speed/K combo reminds me a lot of Granderson.

Alex
That could actually work, esp if they bat him 9th and the pitcher 8th so they can have two fast lead off hitters in the game like the cardinals do some times

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Last year the Marlins lead the league in strikeouts with 1371 total. Second place went to the DBacks with 1287. That said, I don't think Maybin will have a problem fitting in with the lineup.

His high K total may not be prototypical for a leadoff hitter but I think he gets a lot of infield hits and XBH's with that great speed of his.

Members online

Latest posts