Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards you should have sold that are now worth less than a bag of peanuts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Time to own up! Let's see some epic failures of holding too long when you should have sold.

Here are three bonehead moves I've made:

1. I still have at least 25 of these after selling over 150 of them for $2 apiece when he homered his first AB in the Majors. Why I didn't take $50 for another lot of 25 is still beyond my comprehension, and now I'd estimate the entire lot to be worth less than $5.

scan0051.jpg

2. I had almost lost all hope on Ramirez when he came out of nowhere last year and put up great numbers, and his cards jumped. I sold one of these for a nice profit but decided to hang onto the other instead of taking a 200% ROI. Now he's having a very average 2012 and this card is worth about 33% of what I originally paid. Oops.

RamirezNeilorangeREFs.jpg

3. I really liked Ryan Perry as a prospect when the Tigers drafted him. I had a small pile of his Chrome parallels in 08, and I was very excited to pull a gold refractor from my 08 BDP case. After grading a pair of Gold Refs as 9.5s, I received offers as high as $75 for this card, but decided to hold out for $100+. The Tigers made Perry a reliever, he turned out to be average, Topps put out more cards, and the rest is history. I may ultimately keep this card for sentimental value, but even if I wanted to move it, I doubt I'd be able to get more than $10-$20 for it.

PerryGoldRefGem.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm with you on Parra!

Not as many maybe, but man have they dived. The only hope is that he's great in the Field, hits OK and is a potential FA who goes somewhere where he starts to hit better. ESPN actually did a piece on him a coupla months back, but it didn't help prices...:(

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Paid $150 for a 2006 Artifacts Ryan Howard gu/auto /23 several years ago. Checked recently when I was considering selling and the last one I saw auctioned off at $36.

I also screwed up by not selling this 07 topps chrome Ubaldo Jimenez refractor auto when his stuff was hot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts