Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is *** a reputable authenticator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
There are some jerseys and bats that are autod on eBay I want to go after but just wanted to make sure *** is reputable? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they might not be, but I could be wrong? Thanks for any help guys.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
I know BGS and PSA duh lol, but you don't think *** is legit? I don't really think they are either but just wanted to confirm my suspicions before I bought something. It seems like a lot of stuff is *** authenticated though.

Ya because a lot of stuff is fake.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I know BGS and PSA duh lol, but you don't think *** is legit? I don't really think they are either but just wanted to confirm my suspicions before I bought something. It seems like a lot of stuff is *** authenticated though.

They were in the discussion, but there have been many, many, questionable certificates out of ***. I personally would urge you not to grab anything with their cert.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
*** was respectable for a brief period...then the floodgates opened.

Like anything else, but especially them, know what to look for and buy the auto/item...not the label.

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
Hmmmm my Hines Ward Helmet has ***. I got it about 5 or 6 years ago I hope it's legit because it came from two family members.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Alrighty then I will steer clear. Thanks for the help!

I would agree with you to stay clear. There have been a great number of questionable items that shouldn't be fully trusted by any means. The only acception to that should be if you are extremely confident in the auto as a consumer expert

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Hmmmm my Hines Ward Helmet has ***. I got it about 5 or 6 years ago I hope it's legit because it came from two family members.

The issue with them is with more valuable items then that. Mostly high-end stuff. Been a bunch of independent researches that have resulted in almost 90% false authentications. You should stick to psa/dna. If you have to, a good 2nd to jsa. I would,'t trust anybody else unless you've studied the auto and you're confident with it. If buying, only go PSA/DNA, JSA, MLB Authentic. Just because companies have track records, I'd be weary of Steiner, fieldofdreams, etc..

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
They were reputable, but then went through bankruptcy and disappeared for a bit.

They came back and decided a better business model would be to authenticate anything sent to them.

Stay away.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
Agree with all the *** responses. At one time they would grade/Authenticate ok, but they have sold out and authenticate almost anything. I have watched to many people open graded packs to feel safe with anything they do now.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
***'s reputation has faltered greatly. I strongly agree with the poster who stated you should buy the auto, not the label. This is true for any authentication company label. The same can be said with cards. Buy the card, not the label. Not all gem mints are created equal.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
They were reputable, but then went through bankruptcy and disappeared for a bit.

They came back and decided a better business model would be to authenticate anything sent to them.

Stay away.

This is the truth. They used to be reputable. During the Marino scandal, they were one of the only companies that did not authenticate the Mantle, Williams, etc fakes. PSA and JSA both did.

When they opened back up after bankruptcy, it would appear that they decided to authenticate almost anything to keep the money flowing.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
***'s reputation has faltered greatly. I strongly agree with the poster who stated you should buy the auto, not the label. This is true for any authentication company label. The same can be said with cards. Buy the card, not the label. Not all gem mints are created equal.

This is correct as well. I have purchased *** items because the auto looked good to me. I am not an expert by any means, but the players I collect, I know their autos well enough to make an educated guess. I always buy based off of my opinion of the autograph. The authenticator does not matter.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Unfortunately they lost control of their certification stickers and cards.

When this happens they fall into shady hands and nothing the company can do will change the image that this creates. It's the most damaging thing that can happen to an authentication company.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
How about in terms of *** graded wax packs from key rookie years in the 80s?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Not really an authentication issue, but ALOT of the photos I saw that they verified seemed to fade ALOT more than the regular percentages...

Members online

Latest posts