Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rare 1995 SP Top Prospects Andruw Jones Red Variation. Is this a thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I saw the following eBay listing for a 1995 SP Top Prospects Minor League Andruw Jones "Red Foil":

95_SP_Andruw_Front.jpg

95_SP_Andruw_Back.jpg

I never heard of a red foil variation so I researched it like crazy and couldn't find a thing. I thought maybe it was a base card that someone colored in with a red sharpie, but the seller insisted it was red foil and not colored in. I was hoping to win it for cheap because it looks so cool, but it went way higher than I was comfortable with. Now I can't help but wonder if there are some rare test/promos floating around that just haven't been the topic of much conversation.

Last edited:

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
FYI- I ended up winning this. I also inquired with the seller and searched the internet for anything about it and there is nothing. I asked a guy who is a minor league set expert and he hasn't seen anything about this either.

This card is definitely from the 95 SP Top Prospects Set but like you, I could not find anything that denotes a red foil variant on the internet, TCDB, etc.....would be interested to know its place in the hobby.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
FYI- I ended up winning this. I also inquired with the seller and searched the internet for anything about it and there is nothing. I asked a guy who is a minor league set expert and he hasn't seen anything about this either.
Congrats on the win. It's a great looking card. I would've loved to inspect it in person. I'd be curious what you think of it once you receive it. My worry was that it was a base card with the background either colored in by hand with a high quality marker or possibly printed over with a high quality printer.

Other than that, it seems like it could be some sort of test issue. The first thing I noticed was how off-center it is, which is something I've noticed in test issues before. And Andruw being one of the top prospects in baseball at the time makes it more likely that he would've survived being tossed in the trash if it was indeed from a test sheet, possibly.

I'd love to know if anybody else has one of these red foils for another player.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
A new mystery 28 years in the making. I bought quite a bit of this I need to go through it and see if there are any other "new" oddities to find. Unfortunately since UD lost their MLB license I have a few 5000 count boxes in no order. Sounds like a good Winter project to work on.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I recall the set and was buying cards in packs at that time still, but can't say I ever saw a red card. I think Derrek Lee was in the set and I was casing his stuff at the time. probably would have run into one by now if they were common. Something I would guess is either scarce or fake.

JuannyChico

Jun 24, 2019
UPDATE: I received this card today + several others from the seller. Here are the pictures are what arrived. Instead of the pictured red card above, it appears the "red" was an illusion. It looks like the base SP I received is the same card pictured but the red foil doesn't exist ( centering is the same from the photos?) I'm disappointed but will be filling a refund/return. $160 and I'm not amused.

IMG-4637.jpg

IMG-4638.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I hope this guy is getting negative feedback from you. That is not a mistake, it was purposeful. Who is dumb enough to try something like that thought, seriously!

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
He called it "Red" in his listing and you said that you "inquired with the seller" prior to purchasing, did he confirm it as red in this inquiry?

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I figured it might have been an artifact of how it photographed. Good luck with the refund.
I play with color, reflection, etc. a ton in photography and I can't think of a way you'd cause an artifact that would leave the Macon Braves logo white, his bat brown and the actual figure of Jones unchanged in color. This photo was altered, plain and simple, and the listing was made to deceive.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I play with color, reflection, etc. a ton in photography and I can't think of a way you'd cause an artifact that would leave the Macon Braves logo white, his bat brown and the actual figure of Jones unchanged in color. This photo was altered, plain and simple, and the listing was made to deceive.

You can with these because the whole card isn't the shiny, reflective foil, only the background. Here's COMC's scan:

Andruw-Jones.jpg
1995 SP Top Prospects - [Base] #15 - Andruw Jones [EX to NM]
Courtesy of COMC.com

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Wow, thanks for keeping us posted on this. It's definitely not an accidental photography effect. I asked the seller about this while the auction was still live and he said "No. It is red foil. I have no idea. Maybe it is an error card." Low feedback seller who probably knew what he was doing, with Andruw set to make the Hall next year (fingers crossed). I suspect we'll be seeing some negative feedback for that seller in the near future.

Anyway, tough break @JuannyChico.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
It's back. Same seller. Only this time it's "blue", apparently, according to the description.

He still has a 100% feedback, he was not called out on his previous scam.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts