Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who wants to go "Low-Balling" with me?

What will the seller's response be?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
All dirty comments aside; I will be putting in an offer on a card that is BIN'd waaaay too high, when you consider another card ended at auction.

I will be "Low-Balling" this card: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290786576555&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I will be basing my offer on this recent auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130777738097&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I will be a little extra "spendy" with my offer, since I have eBay Bucks to burn.

So, what will be the seller's response?

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
I voted auto-declined but I would be disappointed with anything other than seller freak out.

Although I was surprised to see that my Rickie Weeks 2012 TTT wood offer was not auto-declined, so maybe sellers are just in a cheery mood these days.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Not that I would've put a $699 price tag on that card....but I put the BIN up that I want to and when I get an absurd low ball offer (I don't care what they go for at auction, I know what I want to sell the card for), I just counter with an absurd high offer.

I had a guy offer me $10 for my Zobrist white whale when I had it @ $199.99...I countered $198.99 and his response was "WHY DO YOU EVEN HAVE THE BEST OFFER OPTION IF YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO COME DOWN $1" :lol:

Anyway, I sold it for like $150 a couple months later.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
FWIW, it was auto-declined at $70 and $80

He may have just been checking value.

I'll let you know if I get a message.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Yeah, when sellers post that high over market value, they really believe its worth that much just because they want it to be. I don't even see a best offer option on it anymore otherwise I would have offered $40 and $50 on it just to try to shape his expectations a little.

It sucks when people hold cards hostage like that. Here's my overpriced eBay want right now:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=130748679640&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=06087910762

I offered as much as $175 for it but he didn't even counter. I based my offer on the fact that I acquired the Nolan Ryan Masterpieces patch auto /10 for $150, although the Ryan patch is not as pretty. I also snagged the Miggy patch auto /5 for $300. No way this Felix fetches close to $300. The seller posted it the day Felix threw the no-no thinking he'd get a mad offer and just hasn't come down to earth yet.

In case the link doesn't work, its the Felix Hernandez 2008 masterpieces patch auto /25 that's listed for $899.99.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Last edited:

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I once put a $10 offer on a Rocco Baldelli Topps Traded Auto RC that was listed at BIN/BO $100. This was like 7 or 8 months ago, so fairly recent. The seller declined and responded all up in arms that I would low ball him AND he blocked me from bidding on any of his auctions going forward. Talk about a friggin freak out! No less than a week later one ended at auction for like $3.50 or something like that - which was less than I offered this guy. I just let it go. Responses to this type of stuff are always personality related!

I remember at a show MANY years ago, I offered another dealer some quantity of cash that I don't recall for a card. The guy flew off the handle yelling at me and when I went to try to discuss it with him later, he told me to walk away from him or he'd punch me in the face. Unbelievable (but I believed him and walked away!).

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I once put a $10 offer on a Rocco Baldelli Topps Traded Auto RC that was listed at BIN/BO $100. This was like 7 or 8 months ago, so fairly recent. The seller declined and responded all up in arms that I would low ball him AND he blocked me from bidding on any of his auctions going forward. Talk about a friggin freak out! No less than a week later one ended at auction for like $3.50 or something like that - which was less than I offered this guy. I just let it go. Responses to this type of stuff are always personality related!

I remember at a show MANY years ago, I offered another dealer some quantity of cash that I don't recall for a card. The guy flew off the handle yelling at me and when I went to try to discuss it with him later, he told me to walk away from him or he'd punch me in the face. Unbelievable (but I believed him and walked away!).

I don't think price guides like Beckett help these matters, either. Beckett doesn't keep up with pricing on 99% of their book. Then ignorant collectors or sellers look up an old card that was priced when the player actually had some potential and they expect to get those high book values. I mean really...is a Daisuke Matsuzaka /199 auto rc really still worth $300?!?! Sellers need to use common sense.

As for the guy who threatened to punch you in the face, I don't care how big they are or how tough they look, if someone threatens me like that they are begging to get their ass kicked. I don't mind teaching ********** lessons.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Wow, I completely mis-understood the title of this thread, and thought it was about something entirely different....

Nice try, but I warned you in the first clause of my first sentence :)

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't think price guides like Beckett help these matters, either. Beckett doesn't keep up with pricing on 99% of their book. Then ignorant collectors or sellers look up an old card that was priced when the player actually had some potential and they expect to get those high book values. I mean really...is a Daisuke Matsuzaka /199 auto rc really still worth $300?!?! Sellers need to use common sense.

As for the guy who threatened to punch you in the face, I don't care how big they are or how tough they look, if someone threatens me like that they are begging to get their ass kicked. I don't mind teaching ********** lessons.

Beckett should have a field in their database entitled "Date Price Last Verified" available to subscribers.

I bet they already have such a field for internal use but are too embarrassed to share it outside the organization.

Members online

Latest posts