Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Binders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Can it be damaging to the cards in a binder if I stand the binder up on a shelf as opposed to laying it flat? I have always laid my binders flat but I don't have much space now that I live in an apartment one third of the size my last house was.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

alwayson22

Dec 6, 2010
San Jose, CA
Certain binders are built to stand vertically while providing better support for the cards. There will still be some sagging of the pages, but it will take years to develop.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I can speak from experience DO NOT STAND UP THE BINDERS! I made that mistake years ago and all the cards on the bottom and towards the right were bowed. Thank God after laying the binders flat for almost a year they are almost flat again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've had complete sets in binders standing up on bookshelves since the mid '80s and have never had a problem.

I have every Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Upper Deck and Score set from 1980-1994 in binders, and several more modern sets.
Even my valuable 1958 Topps set is is in a binder standing up.

Not once have cards been damaged.
The pages don't bow if the binder is full with page lifters, and they're together tighly on shelves like books with bookends.
I look at my sets all of the time and have never seen any of the problems some of you claim.

And I use the cheap Walmart budget 3-ring binders too.
Never had a problem.

Last edited:

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I used ultra pro binders and pages and can tell you for a fact it happened to me. If you want to take a chance go ahead but to me it's not worth the risk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Univenture.com binders help solve this the sagging problem.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Page lifters?

Yes, they're great for moving sheets back and forth and offer support at the same time:
full_page_black_sheet_lifter.jpg

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Page lifters (also called sheet lifters) are imperative for when your binder is not full of pages because they keep the pages centered and tight, so they don't bend and damage your cards.
If you use them, keeping binders upright like they're intended wlll keep your cards safe.

sruchris

Jun 30, 2010
All of my 300+ sets are in binders, standing up. Most are in cheap Wal-Mart/Target binders while some are in Univenture Case View binders. I haven't noticed any bowing or damage to the bottom row of cards, yet. When binding a set, I make sure to choose an appropriately-sized binder for the set, i.e. if the pages are 1.5 inches tall, choose a 1.5in binder. This varies by the thickness of the cards, not the total number of pages. I usually error on the side of slightly overstuffing a binder than leaving empty space as I like the idea of keeping everything snug. I don't use page lifters or separators, although they will protect the first and last pages from getting dented from the clasps. I also minimize the space in between binders on my shelf. Again, tighter is better, in my opinion. Loose and sloppy is never good.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What kind of damage happened when they were down? I only ask because I used to stand them up but then decided to put them down for space reasons.

judging from past experience with a jersey relic being in a penny sleeve and top loader that was laying under something heavy (so not a card in a binder), I can only assume the issue is that you store your binder flat, time goes by and you find that the weight of the pages has pressed the page against the card surface hard enough over time that when you try to remove a card from its pocket, some of the card surface has stuck to the binder page material.

I store mine upright in univenture binders because of the fear I have of them being stored flat. Being upright, you don't have the pressure of the page material being pressed against the card's surface.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts