Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Future of Andrew McCutchen and Jose Tabata

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Nate McLouth just signed a three year contract with the Pirates for $15.75 million, which is a lot of money for the Pirates. They hold a team option to sign him in 2012. McLouth is only 27 this year, and will be 30 in 2012. Assuming that the 26 HR 94 RBI season last year wasn't a fluke and he can continue to produce as both a fielder (Gold Glove, led the NL with a .997 fielding percentage last year, one error in 152 games) and a hitter, where does that leave natural center fielders Andrew McCutchen and Jose Tabata?

McCutchen is slated to be at AAA this year unless he impresses John Russell enough to make the team as their 4th outfielder. But I don't see McCutchen being happy with a bench role. If he makes the Pirates, then Tabata will play at AAA, but if not, Tabata will be forced to play at AA, even though he probably needs to be facing AAA pitching for his development. I don't think Tabata will be very happy with that either. The Pirates have already made it clear that they don't intend to play either McCutchen or Tabata anywhere other that center field, for now at least.

Does that mean that one of them will be traded? I just don't see the reason of keeping 3 centerfielders so closely bunched together. Something's gotta give.

David

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
McCutch is still going to be a completely solid player. I see him winning gold gloves in CF himself.

Last September, the Pirates did not call up McCutchen, but they did have him travel with the team to gain experience and the comfort of life in the major leagues. If he doesn't break camp, which I think is a definite possibility, he'll be up mid season.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
Tabata should start in AA anyway. Why rush him to AAA?

He needs to continue his success @ AA 1st...before he gets moved up.
He didnt fair too well w/ trenton..and started to heat up in just over 20 games the 2nd time around in AA w/ Altoona.

robboshow

Aug 7, 2008
Western Maryland
In the future, the outfield will likely be McLouth, McCutchen, Tabata left to right. I asked John Russell about this during the Pirates Caravan. He said that McCutchen still needs to work on his routes before he commits to moving McLouth to left.

McCutchen will not sit the bench in Pittsburgh. He will start whenever he makes the majors. I highly doubt he makes the team out of spring training but he could be up in June, as that potentially gives the Pirates an extra year before he becomes a free agent.

Defensive position will not determine where Tabata starts in the minors this year. If they think he is ready for AAA, he will play the corner. If they think he needs to start the year in AA, he will play CF.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
thefasterblade said:
McCutch is still going to be a completely solid player. I see him winning gold gloves in CF himself.

Last September, the Pirates did not call up McCutchen, but they did have him travel with the team to gain experience and the comfort of life in the major leagues. If he doesn't break camp, which I think is a definite possibility, he'll be up mid season.

I hope he gets called up. I have a MAJOR stash of him including a Aflac 9.5 Auto

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Most of the major points have been addressed already, but to add a few thoughts...

I see Cutch being up by July at the latest. McLouth is at best average defensively, and would play well in the large left field at PNC Park. Tabata killed the ball at AA Altoona last year in his limited time there. I think his spring performance may ultimately decide where he starts the season, but I would expect him to start at AA, then move up if he continues to hit as he did at the end of last year.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
If Tabata has no future in center field with the Pirates, why not move him to RF now and develop him at AAA? As it is, the Pirates look like they are keeping him in centerfield regardless of whether he plays at AA or AAA.

David

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I think having Tabata in center was in part out of necessity in AA. They had a couple of mid level corner outfield prospects, including former second round pick Brad Corley, and Tabata was really the only prospect among the bunch that could play center. While I expect him to end up in right in the majors, I think management is content to allow him to play a position where his bat has much greater value as long as he is not blocked at a level.

Members online

Latest posts