Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Maui fire and the loss of hobby collectibles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A slightly deceiving title, but have been thinking a lot about the fire that essentially gutted the town of Lahaina on Maui this week. I have been there a number of times since my first trip sometime around 1991-92, probably at least a half dozen times now. My honeymoon was on Maui in 1999 and we were last there this past February. Lahaina was always a stop 2-3 times each trip. That last trip was no exception and since we were on the island for 2 weeks, we probably went to Lahaina 5-6 times. Such a great place, as those who have been would likely agree. If you had never made it there, I'm sorry to say you missed a gem.

That being said, as i think of all the historic treasures los in that fire, memorabilia comes to mind. Last February, we ate dinner at Fleetwood's, a restaurant owned by Mick Fleetwood (of Fleetwood Mac fame). Of course there was memorabilia within the place, including a set of Mick's drums. Their store had a ton of stuff for sale and there was an art exhibit downstairs too. All scorched to ash now.

Makes me wonder if any of the poor folks who lost their homes had sports memorabilia, that is now gone among all of their other possessions. I know it's probably the last thing on someone's mind after losing their home, but it is a part of what may be lost in an event like this. Just pondering what kind of loss has been suffered not only here, but in other events such as floods, fires, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, tornados, etc. Most of the time, unless it is a high profile collection, probably no mention at all.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I bet a lot of collectors are looking into insurance and fire proof safes now watching the devastation unfold. I think a similar thread popped up after the Paradise fire. One thing to keep in mind is plastic has a lower melting temperature than paper. So even if documents and paper currency survive the slabs and top loaders will melt. You'll need a media safe to protect against that.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
A slightly deceiving title, but have been thinking a lot about the fire that essentially gutted the town of Lahaina on Maui this week. I have been there a number of times since my first trip sometime around 1991-92, probably at least a half dozen times now. My honeymoon was on Maui in 1999 and we were last there this past February. Lahaina was always a stop 2-3 times each trip. That last trip was no exception and since we were on the island for 2 weeks, we probably went to Lahaina 5-6 times. Such a great place, as those who have been would likely agree. If you had never made it there, I'm sorry to say you missed a gem.

That being said, as i think of all the historic treasures los in that fire, memorabilia comes to mind. Last February, we ate dinner at Fleetwood's, a restaurant owned by Mick Fleetwood (of Fleetwood Mac fame). Of course there was memorabilia within the place, including a set of Mick's drums. Their store had a ton of stuff for sale and there was an art exhibit downstairs too. All scorched to ash now.

Makes me wonder if any of the poor folks who lost their homes had sports memorabilia, that is now gone among all of their other possessions. I know it's probably the last thing on someone's mind after losing their home, but it is a part of what may be lost in an event like this. Just pondering what kind of loss has been suffered not only here, but in other events such as floods, fires, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, tornados, etc. Most of the time, unless it is a high profile collection, probably no mention at all.
Haven't heard what exact cards were involved but a good chunk of the high end Hideo Nomo cards out there were destroyed in Tsunamis in Japan.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I tried to insure my collection. the insurance company wanted to have my collection appraised I gave my insurance agent the juangone web site. He said that would not count. SERIOUSLY? who do you get to do that?? I called a card shop in Tampa and told the owner if he would do it. I gave him the web site Juangon.com and to call me back. He did and said it would be very time involved. and he would have to charge me $5500. Told him to go SCRATCHE. I asked my agent to give me a ruff estiment he said about $4000 a year.
EFF ME! That is why every time hurricane season starts. I tend to start freaking out.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I tried to insure my collection. the insurance company wanted to have my collection appraised I gave my insurance agent the juangone web site. He said that would not count. SERIOUSLY? who do you get to do that?? I called a card shop in Tampa and told the owner if he would do it. I gave him the web site Juangon.com and to call me back. He did and said it would be very time involved. and he would have to charge me $5500. Told him to go SCRATCHE. I asked my agent to give me a ruff estiment he said about $4000 a year.
EFF ME! That is why every time hurricane season starts. I tend to start freaking out.
That doesn't surprise me. Insurance companies just seem to be the worst. Want to charge you for everything, but when it comes time to pay a claim, there are excuses and reasons, exemptions, etc. Almost better off self-insuring if you can. I am doing that now at work. We have a high deductible healt option. I am tossing $ into a HSA and just hoping I don't need any medical services for as long as I can get away with.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell

had the same thoughts when hurricane Andrew hit new orleans

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That doesn't surprise me. Insurance companies just seem to be the worst. Want to charge you for everything, but when it comes time to pay a claim, there are excuses and reasons, exemptions, etc. Almost better off self-insuring if you can. I am doing that now at work. We have a high deductible healt option. I am tossing $ into a HSA and just hoping I don't need any medical services for as long as I can get away with.
I'm happy to say this was not my experience, but it wasn't a really major loss. Washing machine went haywire and flooded part of my house. I have a big comic collection and the boxes on the floor got soaked. The books that weren't bagged were damaged. Along with paying directly for carpet, drywall, etc., my adjustor asked for a price on the comics. I went through and added up $1800 in replacement value for my wet books. He took that number without blinking, and even added in $6 each for my damaged longboxes. I had a check within a week.

This probably would not be the case in a high-5- or 6-figure loss, but homeowner policies normally include something for personal items as a matter of course. Things like jewelry should be itemized beforehand, like wife's wedding rings, but collections that are in flux usually are covered at replacement costs, depending.

I do hope that Lance's Frank Thomas collection is spared, it's truly amazing.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'm happy to say this was not my experience, but it wasn't a really major loss. Washing machine went haywire and flooded part of my house. I have a big comic collection and the boxes on the floor got soaked. The books that weren't bagged were damaged. Along with paying directly for carpet, drywall, etc., my adjustor asked for a price on the comics. I went through and added up $1800 in replacement value for my wet books. He took that number without blinking, and even added in $6 each for my damaged longboxes. I had a check within a week.

This probably would not be the case in a high-5- or 6-figure loss, but homeowner policies normally include something for personal items as a matter of course. Things like jewelry should be itemized beforehand, like wife's wedding rings, but collections that are in flux usually are covered at replacement costs, depending.

I do hope that Lance's Frank Thomas collection is spared, it's truly amazing.
I have not connected with him in a while, but pretty sure he is on Oahu. I could be wrong though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts