Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's the most you've knowingly overpaid for a card to complete a set or rainbow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Most of us have done it at some point. Paid way more than the going rate just to finish a set or rainbow. What's your story?

Mine was for the 2005 BC Landon Powell (who? I know...) red refractor to finish the rainbow. Paid around $150 for it....lol

ClevelandIC

Aug 30, 2012
Same card. Red refractor auto, not of Powell but of Josh Barfield. Paid $76. This was long after he was even baseball relevant just really wanted the card.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I paid like $100 for the Hernan Irribarren 2005 Topps Chrome Super back in 2007 and I think I paid like $80 for the Alcides Escobar 2009 Finest Super, but both were only slightly above going rate at the time and look worse now.

I think I paid $100 for the Red 1/1 Yount Tribute in 2011, but I would not consider that overpaying, since he's never had much of a traditional rainbow to go after (unless you count the monsters like UD Heros and DLP Absolute and DK parallels.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I paid around $125 for a 2005 Aramis Ramirez 1/1 patch (single color) autograph. I'm a big dufex fan and I wanted to have the patch autos of all 6 Cubs in the set (Sandberg, Lee, Ramirez, Prior, Wood, and Zambrano), so I had to make sure the Ramirez was mine as it is the only patch auto they made of him for some reason.

rbadger

Aug 10, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
I paid about $60 for a 2010 Topps Chrome Philip Rivers superfractor to complete my rainbow. I know it's football, but still relevant to the thread.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Paid $125 for the '12 Topps Tribute Gold Ink 1/1 auto of JJ (but it was from Bigboyd ... possibility of shilling is endless). Buddy picked up the Purple 1/1 auto for $55 dlvd a couple months later. Just need three plates for the master run :)

Members online

Latest posts